Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Alternatives to baby wipes on shabbas?
Previous  1  2

greentiger

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 3:16 am
My mother swears by baby oil...

micki

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 2:39 pm
whats wron with wipes on shabbos?

mimivan

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 4:13 pm
if they are saturated with water, it is a problem accidently squeezing water out like through a sponge. My rav also said they were okay if you could take a wipe, put it on your hand and touch that hand to the other hand and the second hand would be dry. If the second hand would be wet, the wipes are too wet to use on Shabbos.

However, it seems like most people's rabbis say using wipes is not permitted...so ask your own rav.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 11:47 pm
Quote:
I don't understand the drying out wipes before shabbos. Do you use that together with any other spray, or that is enough to clean a dirty diaper? I can't imagine that it's much better than using plain tissues without any liquid?

baby wipes contain more than just water, obviously. when dried, the only thing removed from the wipe is water. oil and soap don't evaporate. so using a spray bottle of water and wiping with wipes is basically using baby wipes in two parts.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 12:01 am
my babies hated the spray on their tush. they'd scream and try to run away so I didn't use that.

Didn't anyone else's kid hate a cold spritz on their behind? Confused

amother

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 1:48 am
We use Huggies Gentle Care Sensitive baby wipes. They are designed for newborns and have less liquid in them than regular wipes.

chavamom

Post Mon, Oct 01 2007, 2:02 am
I've used this with great results. Or you can make your own in a spray bottle with water, witch hazel, a bit of oil and some essential oil (lavender is nice). In a pinch water with just some lavender oil works fine!

Last edited by chavamom on Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:54 am
Yes, I use the dried baby wipes with some spray....either plain water, or mixed with some baby oil, but I might try some of the "recipes" here.
I just mentioned that as an alternative to tissues which crumple and paper towels which are harsh.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Oct 02 2007, 1:26 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only one in the world whose Rav said it was okay to use baby wipes on Shabbos?

Anonymous because I'm sure I"m going to have my head bashed in...

no you are not the only one.

imala

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 8:52 pm
I use Baby Magic lotion. It works really well and the baby smells great afterward. You just have to make sure to squeeze the lotion on the babies bottom and not directly on the tissue for halachic purposes.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 10:58 am
imala wrote:
I use Baby Magic lotion. It works really well and the baby smells great afterward. You just have to make sure to squeeze the lotion on the babies bottom and not directly on the tissue for halachic purposes.
I would have thought there would be more halachic problems with lotions then with wipes.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 11:01 am
do I have to be the one ... fine ...

how do you peoples wipe your own butts shock

Mama Shifra

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 9:28 am
I would use a spray bottle (you can get them in the gardening sections of stores like Walmart or Target) filled with water and wipe with a cloth diaper or washcloth that you do not care if it gets permanently stained (because it will be!). If the plain water is bothering the baby, you can drop a little baby oil or even just plain vegetable oil on his/her bottom before spraying the water. Then just wipe with the diaper/washcloth. I would have a least 10-12 clean diapers/washcloths available for use as wipes every Shabbos/day of Yom Tov.

Shifra

whatever

Post Thu, Oct 11 2007, 9:37 am
my friend does the following. she squirts on johnsons babylotion and wipes it with tissues. I tried it and it works great. I still use fresh wipes though.

glad2bmom

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:15 pm
I use johnsohns baby lotion and it works wonders!!
lotion is the best -- it goes very smooth
I also use the spray but not to clean up messy ones.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 16 2007, 9:35 pm
My Rav uses wipes and says it's ok. We however use shpritz b/c we were told to do that before moving into the area. I used to use a spray bottle with water and J&J soap, but the tissues did get stuck. When I put oil into the mixture the spray bottle wouldn't work. My other rebbetzin just pours baby oil on the baby, but I found that it got everywhere.

I think using the dry wipes with a spray would be a good idea. Be careful with lavendar though, some babies are allergic to it (I am:)).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics