Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Oh no... I left my frank n blanks in the oven all night!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 6:59 am
I baked a tray of frank ‘n blanks last night.
Turned off the oven and forgot to take them out and put away!
Throw them out?? It’s cold downstairs (heat’s off on that floor all night but...)

Brachie69

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 7:33 am
Eat and enjoy!

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 7:36 am
You can eat them. I leave them on the counter overnight.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 7:39 am
You both sure?? I googled cooked hot dogs and it says it’s only safe to leave out for 2 hours..

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 7:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You both sure?? I googled cooked hot dogs and it says it’s only safe to leave out for 2 hours..

These are cooked hot dogs, not raw.
At the take out they sit out all day.

malki2

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 7:46 am
It’s fine.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 7:50 am
Wow.. thanks! I was feeling upset that I had to throw so much out at and do it all over again. It’s not even for me.. it’s for my kids, guests.. I know it’s something they would really enjoy.
I shut the oven at 8:30 last night and it’s almost 8 in the morning..

etky

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:03 am
I would toss them.
I wouldn't eat anything requiring refrigeration that was left out at room temperature for 12 hours.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:09 am
Okay.. I just came downstairs and took them out of the oven. They smell fine. They actually feel cold, probably because it was 25 degrees degrees last night and my heat is usually off on this floor overnight.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 8:11 am
Regular meat or chicken I’d toss without a thought but those hot dogs probably have enough preservatives to make it ok.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 9:27 am
Please don't serve them to guests.
You don't want to be responsible if they get sick chas v'shalom, especially if someone is pregnant, elderly or immuno-compromised.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 10:09 am
Personally I wouldn't eat any food item that had been sitting unrefrigerated overnight. It's a perfect breeding ground for food borne bacteria to grow. You cook food but it doesn't remain sterile and safe just because it's been cooked.

But don't believe people on the internet - Per the Department of Agriculture

Answer: You can safely leave cooked hot dogs out at room temperature for two hours -- or one hour if the temperature is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit -- says the United States Department of Agriculture. Cooked hot dogs that have been sitting out for longer than 2 hours (or 1 hour above 90° F) should be discarded.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 10:10 am
Another vote for they're fine to eat

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:09 am
What is it that's in salami that you can have it at room temp for days or weeks that's not in hot dogs? Aren't both processed and fully cooked meats with preservatives?

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:15 am
It’s your choice whether you choose to eat them or not but you should let your guests know so they have that choice too. Some people have very sensitive stomachs.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 3:17 pm
I wonder if the same households that are serving me meat that has been unrefrigerated also expect me to wipe my hands on the same hand towel in the guest bath that has been used by everyone else for who knows how long. Very Happy

thriver

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 4:00 pm
I did that once with chicken and it was so frustrating...! Left it in the oven and completely forgot about them after finishing bedtime with my kids.

I knew I couldn’t serve it (it was at least two pans—ouch!!) but I couldn’t bear to throw it out right away. I froze the pans and after a little bit of detachment and realizing that it is not worth the money, effort, and time (sob...!) that I put in at the risk food poisoning, I threw it out feeling great that I was being responsible. It did take about two weeks during which I made sure not to serve it...

I know how you feel. We’re all human. It should be a kaparah!

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 4:08 pm
I would toss. Not worth the risk. The smell is not an indication that it’s safe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen