Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food budget family of 4
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:08 pm
Curious what your weekly food bill is (assuming no guests)
Family of 4. 2 adults, 2 little kids not yet teens.
Long island.

Thanks

mra01385

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:13 pm
About $600/mo I try to mostly shop the sales. I usually shop at 2-3 stores a week.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:16 pm
we're a family of 4--- twins just turned 13 (boy twin's BM is this Shabbos, yay!)

we're closer to $800 a week. We spend $130 to $180 at Walmart once a week and $10 to $50 elsewhere once a week (meat store and/or trader joe, etc)

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:22 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
we're a family of 4--- twins just turned 13 (boy twin's BM is this Shabbos, yay!)

we're closer to $800 a week. We spend $130 to $180 at Walmart once a week and $10 to $50 elsewhere once a week (meat store and/or trader joe, etc)

I think you mean $800 a month...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:24 pm
mra01385 wrote:
About $600/mo I try to mostly shop the sales. I usually shop at 2-3 stores a week.

Thx
I'm actually the same
About $100 in begining of week and then will need to add a bit for shabbos.
Was just curious.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 16 2020, 11:57 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
I think you mean $800 a month...

oops! lol. $800 a week on food for a family of 4. I'm sure there are those who DO spend that! Not us. $800 a month, yes. Smile

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:59 am
I spend more than posters above. Usually make two orders a week. One is about 150 and the other is 50. So that’s for sure 800 and then my husband usually stops into a bakery and often take out. So minimum 1000 a month.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:21 am
Anywhere between 150-200 a week depending on many factors such as guests? If yes who?
Am I meal prepping or not.
good sales?
Time to shop around or corner deli for many items?

Etc.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:07 am
We're a family of 4 (appetites of 4 adults) and our bill is $500 a week including lots of papergoods, disposables and detergents that are our conveniences since we work full time (we don't buy ready food but do take advantage of frozen and grab and go options like frozen pizza, indivual yogurts and bars, vacuum packed indivual size deli).

nchr

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:08 am
About $125 per person per month.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thx
I'm actually the same
About $100 in begining of week and then will need to add a bit for shabbos.
Was just curious.

How? I am a newlywed with no kids, I only eat dinner at home once a week and don't make shabbos and my bill is around $150 a week.

mra01385

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:37 am
Hot pink, well it depends what you are buying, how much you are buying. Maybe you shop in a very expensive store

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:20 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
How? I am a newlywed with no kids, I only eat dinner at home once a week and don't make shabbos and my bill is around $150 a week.

Take a look at what you’re buying. Are you buying fancy meats and expensive vegetables for that one night a week?
Snacks, danishes, pastries, expensive yoghurts, frozen goods like ice creams, candies, it all adds up.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:21 pm
Around $300/week for food.

gande

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:33 pm
Family of 6 spend 200-300 a week including all paper goods detergents ect...we do shop at an extremely well priced store.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:51 pm
I wouldn't have a clue. I am very cost-conscious and I only buy on sale, but I will go to an out of the way butcher and drop $2-300, but not go back for a long while. I will go to shoprite and buy 2 dozen boxes of pasta and not go for the next 3 weeks. I spend a ton at Costco, but it is food, clothes, gifts, paper goods, housewares, and I don't have a set schedule of how often. I go to the local butcher 1-2xper week and may spend as little as $20 each time or $150 both, depending on what is on sale and what my home inventory looks like. The only "regular " spending I do is the fruit store which is about 1xper week- but can be more often or stretched, and is ~$60.
Btw, I also have company. It can be 3 consecutive weeks with 15 people for Shabbos lunch, or one Shabbos both lunch and dinner, or I can also go 6 weeks without inviting.
BTW, my kids are teens and so are the kids in the families we invite.

Thank God, I can afford my groceries and don't budget. I am careful with sales and not to waste.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 12:57 pm
Maybe $400 per month? I only buy meat, fish and certain other products at kosher grocery stores. Everything else, I buy where it’s on sale. We don’t use paper plates, cups, none of that so I do stock up on detergent for the dishwashers.

pizza4

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:38 pm
About 600/month
Including grocery, walmart/ costco. Definitely depends if we have guests, can easily go up to 800. Food is expensive.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 1:38 pm
I need to start keeping track and budgeting better (the only reason I haven't is because I'm too anxious about it and don't want to actually know but it's getting out of hand...). We're a fam of 4 but the baby is juuuust starting to eat food so it's really 3 eaters and I easily spend over $300 a week on food. Yes, that's around $1000 a month for 3 people. And that's just a guess. And I'm only talking about food and beverages- not anything else.

This is my goal for the next month. To figure out exactly how much I spend on good and try to cut that down a little each week until it's a more reasonable number....thank you for making this post, it's my motivation to actually do this!

lcraighten

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 2:06 pm
I spend about $800 a month. Usually $100 for the week and another $100 for shabbos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics