Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Stopover in London with kids

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 17 2020, 11:36 am
We have a 12 hour stopover (in middle of the day) in London and are traveling with three kids ages 6-12.
What would be most interesting to them? London Eye? London Eye and what? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I can get in to that 12 window (actually much less because we have to get back 2-3 hours before the flight and we have to get into the city itself)...

What are realistic plans for the day? Should include eating somewhere I guess too.

Thanks!

jewwoman

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 4:36 pm
Depends on the airport you are flying to and from. Heathrow is a good hour or so from central london adding traffic to that middle of the day rush in central.

If you get to london eye, there is the thames, covent gardens and Buckingham palace not too far away from eachother

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 4:48 pm
You can take one of the hop-on hop-off buses to get a tour of the city and only get off at places that interest you

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 4:52 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
You can take one of the hop-on hop-off buses to get a tour of the city and only get off at places that interest you

This is what we went when we had a stopover as kids. I loved it! Must’ve been 8ish.

angelgirl

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 5:32 pm
Buckingham palace, changing of the guards is at 11am at the palace if you can get there then, Otherwise go to the horse guards parade and you get to see horses and soldiers up close. The horses leave at 4pm I think- Check online for exact details. London eye is cool but bit boring lol! Maybe that’s just for us Londoners though! There is a shrek experience right next to it if you have time to kill.

Golders green road is full of kosher shops and restaurants, but Reubens is a kosher restaurant in central London.

Enjoy your trip!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 8:24 pm
We're landing at Heathrow airport at 9:10am on a Sunday.
I'm thinking we should go straight to changing of the guards, then the london eye, and then maybe one of those double decker buses. Would stop at Reuben's at one point to eat. Does this plan make sense? What about the riverboat cruises, should we do that instead of the double decker buses?
If we see we won't make the changing of the guards, we'd switch that for the horse guard parade.

Does all this make sense?

And what's the best way to travel from the airport on a Sunday morning?

Thanks so much!

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Jan 18 2020, 9:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're landing at Heathrow airport at 9:10am on a Sunday.
I'm thinking we should go straight to changing of the guards, then the london eye, and then maybe one of those double decker buses. Would stop at Reuben's at one point to eat. Does this plan make sense? What about the riverboat cruises, should we do that instead of the double decker buses?
If we see we won't make the changing of the guards, we'd switch that for the horse guard parade.

Does all this make sense?

And what's the best way to travel from the airport on a Sunday morning?

Thanks so much!

Definitely the double decker instead of the boat cruise. That the best part cuz you see it all....

littleprincess

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:48 am
U can take the underground from Heathrow airport to Green park. That's where the palace is.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:53 am
I thought the City of London Museum was very nice for both adults and kids. Certainly a good option if there is rain.

The Tower of London is fascinating.

Either of those (or the above suggestions) coupled with a double-decker bus ride and lunch can easily fill a day.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 12:15 pm
I think Reubens may be closed. Check it is open.

London Eye is expensive and a bit boring. Changing of the guards is definitely a good option.

Google maps can help you figure out how to get to and from each location.

angelgirl

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:03 pm
Raisin wrote:
I think Reubens may be closed. Check it is open.

London Eye is expensive and a bit boring. Changing of the guards is definitely a good option.

Google maps can help you figure out how to get to and from each location.

Reubens was closed but has now reopened.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:28 am
Okay, I think I'm set on the expensive and boring London Eye, the double decker bus, hopefully changing of the guards (if we get there on time), Reubens and whatever we get off the bus at.

Should I be booking the London Eye and double decker bus ticket online in advance?

Thanks so much for all your input!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:34 am
The London Eye is basically a slooooow ride up and then down, as it fills up each car.....

I would try to get in the Tower of London if you could. So much more interesting, I've been there twice and I would go back.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:40 am
I would skip the food. Not worth the time it’s going to take. Focus on touring you have a lot on your list and youre traveling with kids.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:22 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I would skip the food. Not worth the time it’s going to take. Focus on touring you have a lot on your list and youre traveling with kids.

I don't think my kids will make it through an entire day without sitting down somewhere to breathe and eat...

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't think my kids will make it through an entire day without sitting down somewhere to breathe and eat...
pack sandwiches and sit in a park. Or get from Selfridges. But you have a lot planned and not that much time so something in your schedule will have to give ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics