Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How to make 3yr old gluten and dairy free?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:22 am
I don't eat gluten/dairy so the mindset or cooking is not a problem.

Dh is. He eats bread and cheese for a living and feeds **** to our kid.

School is. Daycare this year gives lunches and snacks and it's basically pasta and cereal.

Society is. Bubby house, aunts and uncles, treats etc.

And ofc ds himself is. Used to grilled cheese sandwiches, yogurt etc.

For health reasons I really want him off gluten and dairy as much as possible and within my control but I feel helpless. He's not allergic or I could stand my ground but he's reacting very badly and breaking out in weird rashes (I already took him to dermatologist)

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:02 am
Let the kid live and be normal!
If he is slightly sensitive to dairy, just take him off of straight milk (not dairy products) and see what happens. Leave gluten alone.
Don’t become obsessive about what he eats!

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:11 am
You're the mom, you can explain to the daycare/ family members their dairy sensitivity. You can't expect them to make him a separate lunch tho, you'd have to send it along. I just can't imagine why you'd want to do that.
My daughter was born without any dairy or soy tolerance (was literally on hypoallergenic formula) and we slowly started building up tolerance through a bit of processed yogurt, to regular yogurt, to cheese on pizza. I would never want to limit my daughter's food options. Teaching healthy eating/ eating in moderation is great, but cutting out entire food groups seems a bit much.
Good luck!!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:14 am
Do not take your kid off anything unless you know forsure that he is sensitive or allergic to certain foods. Take your kid to the dr to figure out what is causing his rash . You will be doing more harm than good when taking him off certain foods for no reason !! DO NOT TAKE YOUR KID OFF OF GLUTEN AND MILK WITHOUT SPEAKING TO A DR. I understand if you want to limit his intake of junk food but to put him on a gluten free diet because you just want to ? That's absurd .

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:20 am
Cow's milk is the most irritating, and while flour has little nutritional value.

Switch to goat or sheep milk products, and use as many whole grain options as you can for bread and pasta. He'll soon get used to the slight change in taste and texture. Give him lots of bright, colorful cut up veggies and fruits, and some healthy dips. Make cheese a treat, and not a main meal.

Sourdough bread is much healthier than regular bread, if you can get it. The fermentation process changes the gluten structure, and has beneficial cultures, like yogurt. If you are feeling adventurous, you can learn how to make your own sourdough. It's tricky, but it can be fun having a science experiment on your kitchen counter.

I like this website: https://www.theclevercarrot.co.....cipe/

Whole grain muffins with grated carrot and zucchini, lots of chopped nuts, wheat germ, protein powder, aminos, etc. are a terrific after school snack, or breakfast on the run.

Bottom line, instead of eliminating food, think about tweaking it to a healthier version, and think about how you can pack in extra nutrition. (Creamed cauliflower is identical to mashed potatoes, and I dare anyone to tell the difference. I've fooled the pickiest eaters this way!)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:33 am
You guys I'm not crazy
I'm very concerned about the social aspect and I even reluctantly allowed him to have weekly pizza lunch in the 18m class (the other days I sent lunch)
I have chronic health issues which is why I don't eat that stuff bc it makes it worse. And I don't want him to develop them. It's not coming out of left field. At home I give him Ezekiel Bread and whole natural yogurt but dh will buy him the most disgusting flavored crppy stuff when they're out. M

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You guys I'm not crazy
I'm very concerned about the social aspect and I even reluctantly allowed him to have weekly pizza lunch in the 18m class (the other days I sent lunch)
I have chronic health issues which is why I don't eat that stuff bc it makes it worse. And I don't want him to develop them. It's not coming out of left field. At home I give him Ezekiel Bread and whole natural yogurt but dh will buy him the most disgusting flavored crppy stuff when they're out. M

The most important thing here isn't your son's diet, it's that you and DH are not on the same page. DH obviously isn't taking you seriously, and thinks that you're making things up. Are there other ways in which DH dismisses your feelings or ideas?

Does your son's doctor think that he's at risk of developing any sort of illness? If so, have the doctor talk to DH. At 18 months, kids react to all kinds of things, and outgrow it pretty quickly. Random rashes will pop up and go away, and often you can never pin down their source. Unless the rash is really big, and can be immediately linked to a certain food exposure, you'll never know. I suggest taking your son to an allergist before you start altering his diet all on your own.

Unless there is a pressing medical diagnosis, I don't see why you can't compromise. Ask DH directly, why he does not respect your choices for feeding your son. Keep in mind that your son is DH's son too, and he gets "half a vote".

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You guys I'm not crazy

Just because you have chronic health issues doesn't mean he will have them and needs to be taken off these foods . I cant eat dairy and gluten either and certain vegetables for health reasons but what does my health have to do with my kids ?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:42 am
Bread and cheese is part of the mediterranean diet the best one

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:45 am
What kind of disgusting stuff does your husband buy him ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 7:58 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
The most important thing here isn't your son's diet, it's that you and DH are not on the same page. DH obviously isn't taking you seriously, and thinks that you're making things up. Are there other ways in which DH dismisses your feelings or ideas?

Does your son's doctor think that he's at risk of developing any sort of illness? If so, have the doctor talk to DH. At 18 months, kids react to all kinds of things, and outgrow it pretty quickly. Random rashes will pop up and go away, and often you can never pin down their source. Unless the rash is really big, and can be immediately linked to a certain food exposure, you'll never know. I suggest taking your son to an allergist before you start altering his diet all on your own.

Unless there is a pressing medical diagnosis, I don't see why you can't compromise. Ask DH directly, why he does not respect your choices for feeding your son. Keep in mind that your son is DH's son too, and he gets "half a vote".

Yes - he doesn't at all take me seriously. Part of it is my fault bc I just take my meds and eat my food and never let him know when /how bad I'm feeling, I do lots of research and see Dr etc all without him knowing. I'm not hiding I just do my own thing and he never asks either. I don't think he ever grasped how much of my daily existence revolves around my health or lack thereof.

My functional Dr would say no to gluten and dairy, his ped is very noncommittal so like do what you want is the attitude.

Ruchel - the bread and cheese on Mediterranean diet is nothing like what's in america
Lots of gluten intolerant ppl do just fine eating bread in France.

Gold - my illness is hereditary and triggerable (its autoimmune and more than one) I have good reason to be concerned. I'm not a hypochondriac and maybe don't even go to the Dr fast enough.
Dh has the taste buds of a 2 year old which is what he buys ds. I'm all for nosh, treats, living a little but like you can buy the chocolate covered rice cakes instead of sour sticks, or Terra chips instead of BBQ dipsy doodles, or even cocoa pebbles instead of food dyed cereals. Ds was like a year old and eating broccoli just fine and dh had to go introduce him to super snacks.

It's definitely a constant fight. I don't want to be hyper vigilant so I'll ignore a lot of the time, and it's exhausting to be mean mommy and I just wish dh would tune in more. Idk where it's from, a deprived childhood? His own disgusting taste buds?

And no, "we all ate it and turned out fine" is not an answer bc 1)we now know the dangers of msg, food colorings and white wheat 2) I clearly did NOT turn out just fine 3) the frum food industry is hardly a shining example of proper nutrition and there's so little awareness of what real nutrition is

Stars

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:01 am
Taking a child off a food because they got a rash from it can lead to a life threatening allergy or life long sensitivity. Don't do this to your child without speaking to his pediatrician.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:01 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
You're the mom, you can explain to the daycare/ family members their dairy sensitivity. You can't expect them to make him a separate lunch tho, you'd have to send it along. I just can't imagine why you'd want to do that.
My daughter was born without any dairy or soy tolerance (was literally on hypoallergenic formula) and we slowly started building up tolerance through a bit of processed yogurt, to regular yogurt, to cheese on pizza. I would never want to limit my daughter's food options. Teaching healthy eating/ eating in moderation is great, but cutting out entire food groups seems a bit much.
Good luck!!

Off topic but curious at what age you introduced yogurt? My baby is on hypoallergenic formula as well but I’d love to try and give her some yogurt, since it’s not an allergy I’m nervous- like the reaction wouldn’t be obvious just stomach pain I guess?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:04 am
Um, you sound a little nuts. An 18 month old eating pizza once a week isn't a huge compromise.

And I say this as someone who has had to take her kids off gluten for REAL medical reasons. I would never do it if I had a choice.

You can actually CAUSE celiac by stopping gluten and then restarting.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:07 am
Also it's not nice to describle your husband's taste buds as "disgusting" and "2 year old".

That condescending attitude is terrible for your relationship, your child's emotional health, and in the long run is much more damaging than any food could be.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:15 am
You sound so upset at your husband.
You’re the one who thinks she has all these food issues caused by food. You’re dh seems just fine! I’m sure the rest of your family members will be okay if they are not made to feel that there is something wrong with them if they touch certain foods. Everything is okay in moderation.., don’t make such a big deal. You’ll make your family members crazy.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:22 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Off topic but curious at what age you introduced yogurt? My baby is on hypoallergenic formula as well but I’d love to try and give her some yogurt, since it’s not an allergy I’m nervous- like the reaction wouldn’t be obvious just stomach pain I guess?

I discussed it with her pediatrician before, every child is different. My daughter had stomach pain and little pimples around her mouth. We tried at around a year if I remember correctly. Our pediatrician recommended we start with the kids yogurt, I think it's by Givat as it's more processed (less processing for her to do). This was after 3-4 months of her eating baby jars, oatmeal, mashed veggies, etc.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:26 am
ectomorph wrote:
Also it's not nice to describle your husband's taste buds as "disgusting" and "2 year old".

That condescending attitude is terrible for your relationship, your child's emotional health, and in the long run is much more damaging than any food could be.

Yes yes yes!!!!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:34 am
There's a looong way to go from eating junk and eating dairy and gluten. Maybe your husband is going so far because he's pushing back on your restrictions. You both need to sit down and talk and find middle ground.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:43 am
ectomorph wrote:

It sounds worse written out. He calls it that himself. I buy him all his food. He complains to me that his stomach always hurts (and he is on the toilet all day) - I don't say a word. I serve fleishig and veggies and always have his own food available even tho I don't eat it. But then he goes and serves it to ds (from the youngest age. Literally trying to feed him nosh when he was learning to eat solids.) who would otherwise be happy without it.

Whatever. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that an 18m who's happily eating eggs, spinach, Ezekiel Bread, hummus for lunch should be given store bought pizza once a week and I should be happy about that??

Again I'm not crazy. I know about food disorders and I'm not trying to create one. I'm not snatching snacks out of a little baby hand but I think I can be upset that an adult put it there to begin with. He refuses to listen to me, talk about it, anything it's like he's stuck in the 90s when he grew up with a mother who thinks frosted cheerios is a healthy breakfast.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics