Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
WIC tips
Previous  1  2

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 1:44 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I don't feel that there is anything wrong with taking the items you were given by wic, even if you won't use all of it. I give it to others who are struggling but are not on govt programs and can really use the help.
I understand that others may feel uncomfortable doing this, so you can ask your LOR if you'd like.
Regarding food items, you really have to see what works for you. You may be taking pb for 3 months and then realize that you have 5 jars of pb in your cabinet with nothing to do with it! So the for the next while don't get any pb and use up the ones you have.
I get pretty basic food items that I would use eitherway (bread, cheese, beans (use for cholent or get chickpeas), pasta, etc.)
The only thing I don't need is frozen juice. I have nothing to do with frozen oj.

They allow regular OJ too. Doesn't have to be frozen.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

Depends

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 4:23 pm
We started making bottled oj from the frozen. Just add water to the rest of the empty oj plastic bottle, in addition to the can. Tastes like regular oj, my dh claims.

I also used the can in yogurt fruit smoothies

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

I get both.

flmommy

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:15 pm
You could make popsicles from the OJ as a treat

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:20 pm
You can make chickpea cookies. Very healthy. It also has peanut butter. You can google a recipe its healthy and delicious.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:38 pm
tryinghard wrote:
When DD was about 2, I remember having an argument with the WIC nutritionist who was insisting that DD was drinking too much milk (mind you, within the amount that WIC provided!). I kept telling her that the pediatrician was happy with the situation, but she kept on referring back to textbook rules. It frustrated me that the this shnook of a dietitian KNEW that she knew better than my pediatrician, who has the medical degree, about 25 years more experience, and has been following DD since she was 1 day old!

I stopped getting wic even though we can really use the help because the office gave me mental breakdowns and migraines every time I went. They would yell at me that my 7 month old was overweight, my other child was too tall, etc. they made me beyond what you can call crazy. Plus, I had to go every 1.5 weeks or so, because every person on the plan had a different pick up date.

OP, when I would get wic I would make smoothies with the milk, yogurt and frozen fruit. I also used to get the cheapest frozen veggies my store sold and roasted those for dinner. I never got salmon or rice, so I don't know about that. I also used to make eggplant parm once a week. I'd get an eggplant, tomato sauce (I think) and sliced mozzarella cheese all on wic. Plus the egg for breading the slices came from wic too.

I don't really understand them tooting health. Dry cereal isn't healthy by any stretch, neither is american cheese, juice, or milk in excessive amounts.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:30 pm
thank you all!!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:56 pm
You can make rice pudding with the milk and freeze it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:41 pm
You can make yogurt with the extra milk. That's what I used to do.

Peanut butter cookies/bars. They don't expire very quickly. I have about 15 jars of pb I need to use up. Trying various recipes.

In nyc, women get frozen juice concentrate; kids get 64 oz regular juice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics