Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Im a newlywed can you help me?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:44 pm
I'm still learning all these terms can someone help me with what it means when it says Minced Garlic, Crushed Garlic, Chopped Garlic?

Which one uses the one in the spices bottle and which one uses garlic cloves and I use the plastic piece I think its a garlic crusher?

So when it says 2 tablespoons crushed garlic what am I supposed to do?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:51 pm
A recipe will usually list the number of garlic cloves and then tell you if the cloves should be crushed (almost smashed to liquid), minced (smashed with some pieces) or chopped (tiny dice). Usually crushed is just fine for any, and you can get away with a pre-crushed frozen garlic cubes for each clove, but there are some nuanced differences that you will learn with time.

When a recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic, that usually means the author is referring to pre-minced chopped garlic. Technically, 3 cloves of chopped garlic will fill a tablespoon, so you would generally use 6 cloves of garlic for 2 tablespoons. But jarred garlic loses lots of its flavor (I don't like it at all), so if you're using fresh or frozen, you probably want to use 4 garlic cloves for this recipe.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:51 pm
Always use real garlic, unless the recipe specifically says garlic powder. Real garlic tastes better.

Chopped - big pieces, about the size of a half a raisin.
Minced - small pieces, about the size of granola or smaller.
Crushed - you can use a garlic press (I love mine) or smash it with a meat tenderizer. This helps release all of the juice and oil.

Be very careful not to overcook garlic when you are doing a stir fry. A minute or two is best, or add it at the last minute. High heat will make it bitter.

On the other hand, you can roast it in the oven on low heat, drenched in olive oil, and it gets soft and sweet like onions.

To measure garlic, just scoop it off your cutting board and scrape it into your measuring spoon. It doesn't have to be exact, you won't ruin your recipe. Garlic varies in strength depending on the time of year, and how long it's been stored, and that's OK. If garlic starts to sprout a bit, either use it right away, or plant it in your garden.

Don't store garlic in the refrigerator, it will get bitter. Keep it in a cool, dry place.

imanonymous

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A recipe will usually list the number of garlic cloves and then tell you if the closed should be crushed (almost smashed to liquid), minced (smashed with some pieces) or chopped (tiny dice). Usually crushed is just fine for any, and you can get away with a pre-crushed frozen garlic cubes for each clove, but there are some nuanced differences that you will learn with time.

When a recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of chopped garlic, that usually means the author is referring to pre-minced chopped garlic. Technically, 3 cloves of chopped garlic will fill a tablespoon, so you would generally use 6 cloves of garlic for 2 tablespoons. But jarred garlic loses lots of its flavor (I don't like it at all), so if you're using fresh or frozen, you probably want to use 4 garlic cloves for this recipe.

Thanks, ra_mom! You're the best! (Sorry, FF, I didn't see your post when I quoted ra_mom's.)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 12:54 pm
I watched a documentary on the garlic industry. All jarred garlic comes from China, and the peeling is done by prisoners. They have to sit on the ground for 14 hours a day peeling garlic with their bare hands, until their fingers bleed and their fingernails fall off.

Just because it says "California Garlic", doesn't mean it is. It means that someone in California imported the peeled garlic and packaged it. China sells to other countries, that sell to the US, in order to avoid import laws and quotas.

Always look for locally grown garlic whenever possible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 1:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A recipe will usually list the number of garlic cloves and then tell you if the cloves should be crushed (almost smashed to liquid), minced (smashed with some pieces) or chopped (tiny dice). Usually crushed is just fine for any, and you can get away with a pre-crushed frozen garlic cubes for each clove, but there are some nuanced differences that you will learn with time.

Thank you! Youve been very helpful!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen