Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to dispose of leaky leftovers after bag ban?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 5:27 pm
I was thinking of this thread before Shabbat when I actually did use one of the single use bags for leaky trash (bones from soup). Durned thing leaked and I had to wash my floor ... again. Should have remembered my own advice that those things usually have holes at the bottom.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 5:31 pm
They had everything on premises because they created everything from scratch, there was no mall shopping, you sewed up your own clothes if you wanted have something to wear, you baked your own bread & made your own cheese, yogurt, sour cream.
They were basically laboring all day, in their own homes or fields. No shopping excursions, with friends, for fun, that was supposed to be window shopping but ended up with huge impulse shopping, where you forgot to bring along your 20 reusable bags! oy vey! Gevald!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 5:39 pm
My own mom still lived the life I am describing while growing up & she is not that old

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 5:52 pm
I live in a city where we have a ban bag. You can buy for 10 cents each a thicker plastic bag or bring your own. It doesn't hold up the grocery line after a few weeks into the ban- we put our empty bags ON the conveyor belt with our groceries. THen they see we didn't steal anything and they pack ours turf in them. I do a "bags in a bag" idea- so I just grab that and put it in my cart and it really is not a big deal. And if I walk to the grocery? It doesn't take any extra effort really to grab a couple bags as I leave (we have a cubby for them) as that's all the groceries I can easily carry anyways. No, it doesn't slow me down walking like one poster said. I try to always have a few in my car.

It is not that much of a hassle but I do want to say that I don't like the government trying to force me to live a certain lifestyle. Like getting rid of car lanes for another pedestrian walkway (besides the sidewalk that was expanded?). I know they hate cars here but I physically cannot bike (medical stuff), have little kids to do carpool for, and have to commute to work. Biking won't work. I would rather they focus on real issues (homelessness, crime) instead of feel good laws that don't help the environment that much- food poisoning went up when people used reusable bags because we didn't wash them enough due to water restrictions and fears of running out of water. Plus when washing think of the wasted water, electricity, added soap to the water system... (And yes, I end up washing enough at once for a full load). And I still see them on the street. I work with the law to save me money. But the thought process behind it bothers me....

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:53 pm
soooooo the bag ban is coming to NY on march 1.
Thanks, NY State! Dyou know what youre accomplishing?
That now I have to go out and buy myself a new, larger shoulder bag to make room for all the reusable and dispsable bags I'm gonna have to keep in my pocketbook for shopping trips. They don't have room in my current small handbag.
I'm overdue to buy msyelf a new shoulder bag anyway, so thanks for the push, NY State!

teachkids

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 3:19 pm
Any recommendations for reusable bags online?

dee's mommy

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 3:27 pm
I have been following this thread, and I don't know if any response I make will be dismissed.

I have been using reusable bags for over fifteen years. I have found that each of these reusable bags, can carry a lot more than the average plastic bag.
They can be purchased grocery stores, or stores like walmart or pretty much anywhere I shop.

When I used to shop and used plastic bags, I can't tell you how many bags were packed. It was an unbelievable amount when I think about it. When I started to shop with reusables, there were far less bags used. (On average, I would say that on a regular grocery trip, I probably use somewhere between two to four bags. On occasion, perhaps five or six, if it is a big shopping trip, or if I am going to multiple stores. Trust me, I think it highly unlikely that anyone here needs to buy fifteen reusable bags. Start with a few, and build up if you need it.

I don't fold them up nicely. I just put them all in one bag, and take them all with me, or leave them in my car. It does take some habit forming, but it is worth it.

I don't have a separate washing cycle for them. When I remember, I put them in with the delicate laundry load that I am already doing. (No need for extra detergent.)

This is a relatively small adjustment. Once the habit is formed, it won't be the burden you fear.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:15 pm
Thanks for the heads up
Time to look to buy a case of plastic bags.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:16 pm
The reusable bags are square on the bottom like big paper bags. They can be filled much more efficiently than the free plastic bags.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics