Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Would you make Sheva Brochos if your husband cant attend?

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:46 pm
I offered to make a Sheva Brochos in my house for a relative, and now my husband let me know that he needs to travel at that time and won't be home to help or host.
Would you still make the Sheva Brochos without your husband available to host? would you cancel? would you find an alternative? or get someone to cohost with you?

rachel6543

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 9:48 pm
I’d still host, but like the idea of finding someone to cohost with.

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 10:17 pm
I would never. I'd be open and honest abt the situation. I've hosted a bunch of times melava malka and mini gatherings. Nobody can substitute the work my hub does-but maybe I'm just spoiled

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 10:51 pm
I probably wouldn't do it. Unless you find a cohost that you're really close to.
Sheva brachos need a man to take charge of benching on the men's side, who to give brachos to... it's not just a meal!

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 11:27 pm
My first thought was just to cancel out because I felt very uncomfortable doing it without my husband, but I feel like I am not being fair to them by cancelling just for my own discomfort.
Funny thing is when I was thinking of an alternative, the one that was the most promising was someone that hosts events all the time and is actually single.
So now I'm thinking maybe I just need to grow up.....

asmileaday

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 11:30 pm
Depends if you have enough help. To me that would be the concern. Dh helps out a TON I don't think I'd be able to pull off a SB on my own.
But if you have help, go for it, why not?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 11:47 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I probably wouldn't do it. Unless you find a cohost that you're really close to.
Sheva brachos need a man to take charge of benching on the men's side, who to give brachos to... it's not just a meal!

You can easily ask another male guest to perform these duties. Deciding who gives the brachot? That you can even do yourself.

The biggest problem is not having a helper for all the set-up and prep. Here, partnering with a co-hostess is a great idea.

agreer

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 12:09 am
Is there enough time for them to find an alternative? If yes, then let them.

If not, then host them. You can do it! It's done all the time.

imamothertoo

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:21 am
Is it possible to switch the night you are supposed to make sheva brochos with someone else making it a different night if your husband will be home then ?

salt

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:27 am
I would still do it.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:10 pm
Sure, I would.

gingertop

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:20 pm
I once did because it was too late to back out. I guess it was sort of cohosted- I hosted it in my house and several other couples helped with food prep and set up. That was the plan from the onset. The only difference was that my husband wasn't there and he felt bad that he missed it.

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:25 pm
If they are counting on you, then you are obligated because you offered.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 2:31 pm
Unless I had other male help, I wouldn’t do it. Chairs, tables and heavy items all need to be moved. There’s lots of back and forth errands that I wouldn’t be able to do on my own. But if I had a reliable assistant I’d do it.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:33 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I offered to make a Sheva Brochos in my house for a relative, and now my husband let me know that he needs to travel at that time and won't be home to help or host.
Would you still make the Sheva Brochos without your husband available to host? would you cancel? would you find an alternative? or get someone to cohost with you?

Yes. Why not?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:09 pm
Considering I made SB for friends when I was single, I can’t see that doing so as a married woman whose dh is away is problematic. Unless of course you have kids and need dh to ride herd on them while you cook and set up and so on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics