Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How to teach a toddler bladder control?
Previous  1  2

GAMZu

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:13 am
First step is to buy a potty and to talk it up all the time-
while changing diapers, "We make on the potty. All the peepee goes in the potty," etc.
I started doing that for my son when he was younger than yours. By the time he was 18 mos, he could answer when I asked him where we should make. Eventually he began sitting on it after making, then telling me he needs the potty while making, and now if he's wearing underwear and is aware of his body, he sometimes makes it to the potty in time.

I think the biggest mistake in American culture is that parents think a child is too young and push it off even if s/he seems interested. The other big mistake is not familiarizing the kid with the potty until s/he is almost 3. I think the potty should become a household word and object from the time a baby can understand the concept of making in it.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 1:49 am
Hmmm, maybe I'll go buy one tomorrow. Why not, at least it's a fun little seat Smile

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 9:00 am
GAMZu wrote:
I think the biggest mistake in American culture is that parents think a child is too young and push it off even if s/he seems interested. The other big mistake is not familiarizing the kid with the potty until s/he is almost 3. I think the potty should become a household word and object from the time a baby can understand the concept of making in it.

I agree that some parents are able to do this. but I think one of the OTHER biggest mistakes parents make is pushing their children who are not ready for their own convenience (pride?). There is major damage that can be done to a child by making him have to perform when he is truly not ready. Also pushing can backfire on a parent and make it more difficult even when he is ready. Children withhold (become constipated and have health issues) and can willfully soil to spite parents.

Some parents think that because they can anticipate when the child has to go he is trained, but the truth is the parents are trained. If your child cooperates, great, but not all children do...

gryp

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 9:21 am
I also train early. I can't stand the diapers at a certain point, I just think it's completely gross and disgusting. My oldest was trained at 28 months- and he had a speech delay, didn't affect it at all, he was great about it. My second was trained by 23 months.

You do need to give them more time to be learn when you train young, which I don't mind at all. As long as you're on top of it meaning taking them to the bathroom every 5-10-15-20 minutes, the accidents can be kept to a minimum.

I don't use potties, I use a toilet-seat insert.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 9:43 am
One thing that I noticed is that my kids have older siblings and the potty isn't a new thing when they start training, so its not like I have to familerize them. They have seen thier siblings use it already tons of times and they want to be like thier bigger brother/sister. My daughter is about 22 months and I have put her on the toilet when she shows an interest but I think she does it to be like her big brothers. One of the ways that I think a child ready is showing interest in being toilet trained is when they are aware of the soiled diaper and asked to be changed.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 17 2007, 10:15 am
I began familiarizing himwith the toilets and its functions at a very early age, he would always come in to the bathroom with me and say "Mommy making toilet", hand me tissues and flush for me! So the idea of eliminating in a potty is not new to hiim. Today ist he fifth day and thea ccidents and potty trips are a lot fewer and spread apart,so he *is* learning to control it. It'll just take some more time....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training