Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Toilet training.. help!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 7:22 am
So my very bright precocious kah daughter is turning 3 in March and still in diapers. I'm under pressure to train her already but every time I decide I'm dedicating time for this, she doesn't want to cooperate. What should I do???

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 7:57 am
Where is the pressure from? Kids don't respond well to pressure.
But turn it into a fun experience. Take her shopping with you to pick out underwear. Maybe a prize she can see to work for if she fills a sticker chart of successful toilet attempts. Some treats if you want to incentivize each toilet trip....

healthymom1

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 8:05 am
Read the book
OH c r a p, potty training

I'd start by just putting a potty on the floor and let her walk around bottomless for a few days until she figures out when she needs to pee.
You cant overwhelm them or get upset if they have accidents. Calmness... oops pish goes in the potty. Not the floor. You'll try again next time... watch for her ques of needing bathroom (dance, wiggle, touching herself, going into another room)

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 8:38 am
Why pressure? I waited till my girl was 3.5 and it was the best. She went straight to panties on day 1 and never had a single accident.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 8:42 am
I feel pressure from my husband and mother, who keep commenting about it. I also feel she should already be trained, she understands the concept and is so big and mature in so many other ways. I'm also due iyh in April so would like to take care of beforehand...

healthymom1

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 8:48 am
She will probably regress after baby gets here. But I think she is old enough to be potty trained. 3 is old to still wear diapers. She needs to learn to control her muscles now before they fully developed.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 9:20 am
You can train her now if you think she is ready. April is in a long time. Why would she regress? Talk into her Big girls make in the toilet. If she makes in the toilet she gets a chocolate chip. If she tells you when she needs to go and makes, she gets 2. No diaper or underwear for a couple of hours today and a couple tomorrow. You can do it over a couple hours each day and then the weekend. Lots of positive reinforcement.

Leleh

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:26 pm
Just do it! Get yourself a prize when you're done lol.
I just started my 2.5 year old and she's been ok so far.
I also did a lot of "potty propoganda" so we spent a few weeks leading up to actual training talking about it, looking at the potty, practicing sitting on it, etc. Motivated me and her too. Also, remind yourself it doesn't happen in a day (sorry to the other poster -that's not so encouraging to hear!). It's a work in progress. You'll be super thrilled not to have two in diapers.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:29 pm
Following. I’m actually getting pressure from my 3 year old’s playgroup morah. Who informed me not so subtly that my child is the only kid still in diapers.

Leleh

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:21 pm
Just do it! Spend a day preparing your house and supplies so you don't have anything to think about once you get started.

Also, not sure if you're into media, but I downloaded the PBS Kids app and it's been really fun for her to play on - both as a motivation and also as something to do once she's sitting if it's taking a while.
We're actually screen-free, but this was a major exception.

And yes, there will be "misses" - when you call them that, you're less likely to panic.

The method I'm using is as follows (simply):
Pre-training - propaganda
Day 1 - naked bottom, keep a potty nearby or take to the toilet regularly (I do potty). Give lots of juice boxes (natural ones).
Day 2 - continue with day 1, except IMMEDIATELY after she goes, put on pants (no underwear) and go outside for a short outing once or twice.
Day 3 - continue to reinforce, but with pants and no underwear. Practice pulling down and up pants.

I don't do underwear for at least a week until she gets the hang of it. She just wears pants with nothing.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:52 pm
To op and the mom who’s kid’s morah is putting pressure.... ignore. Wait until your child is ready. It should take only a few days to train when they are ready, pushing will just stress you both out. Please trust me, I can talk about this topic for a looooong time. It has nothing to do with maturity or “understanding” it’s all emotional. And the morah should absolutely not be putting pressure. Please ignore!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:00 pm
If there is only one kid in the group still in diapers, could be the others are noticing and saying things. Maybe that's why the morah is bringing it up. Because she is worried about your child's self esteem. It may be a valid concern.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:03 pm
I like to do it in a Friday so we can be home for 3 days straight. Just hang out in the house. With just undies. She is old enough to pull them on and off. Keep the potty in the room she plays in and just very relaxed and encourage her to go every half hour until she recognizes the urge.

baltomom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:05 am
IME, if the kid isn't interested, toilet training won't take--even if they have the mechanics etc, it will be YOUR problem to get them to the bathroom, and they won't care. I would work on subtly convincing her that it's worth it to be toilet trained so that she has buy-in. For example, if she doesn't like having dirty diapers changed, every time you change her talk about how once she used the toilet you won't have her change her this way, etc. Comment on her friends who wear underwear and are such big girls.

Once she is emotionally ready and interested, hopefully the process won't take more than a few days to a week. If you start when they aren't ready, it can drag on for months.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training