Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Looking nice way to tell friend no.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:03 pm
My friend who is around 400lbs keeps asking me daily to work out on my exercise equipment. I keep ignoring it.

She wants to work out daily in my house. I don't want that from anyone. She also is heavy, and my equipment is expensive. All damages to my machines came from letting others use them.

I can't keep brushing her off.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My friend who is around 400lbs keeps asking me daily to work out on my exercise equipment. I keep ignoring it.

She wants to work out daily in my house. I don't want that from anyone. She also is heavy, and my equipment is expensive. All damages to my machines came from letting others use them.

Just say that you never allow others to use your equipment, even family.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:19 pm
OTOH, think of the tremendous reward you get for being so kind and doing something so nice. Call the manufacturer of your expensive equipment and first see if there's a weight restriction.

Sometimes Hashem gives one person something so that they can benefit from helping others. Just a thought..

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:24 pm
At 400 pounds is she even able? Is it even safe? I think she might need special equipment, for her own safety.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
OTOH, think of the tremendous reward you get for being so kind and doing something so nice. Call the manufacturer of your expensive equipment and first see if there's a weight restriction.

Sometimes Hashem gives one person something so that they can benefit from helping others. Just a thought..

The belt will get wrecked on the treadmill. I don't yvon she had the agility to let it start first and then get on it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Just say that you never allow others to use your equipment, even family.

Wish I thought of this when she first started asking me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:36 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
At 400 pounds is she even able? Is it even safe? I think she might need special equipment, for her own safety.

The equipment is gym caliber. I never saw a weight limit at the gym. Same brands. Same quality.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:36 pm
tell her your husband rather no one touch it bc it is expensive
or do u have kids at home? u can say something like you'd rather her not work out in ur house bc it'll disturb the kids/neighbors,,,,wake up the baby??
maybe let her use it once so shell stop asking u .
amother [ OP ] wrote:

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:39 pm
You can tell her that her using the equipment doesn’t work for you. You don’t have to go into explanations or detail as to why or why not.
But if you are able and willing, maybe you can offer to be her walking partner and the two of you can walk together outdoors . You don’t have to offer that. It’s just an idea that popped into my head while thinking about this.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The equipment is gym caliber. I never saw a weight limit at the gym. Same brands. Same quality.

I don't think these are labeled with weight limits.
I still don't know how she'd be able. At 400 pounds, she would need to build up to it. I know someone who is probably 300 pounds and she can barely walk down the street without getting out of breath and needing to sit down. Suddenly working out on a treadmill etc and the like would be very dangerous for her:(
The only exercise she is able to do is swimming in a pool. I would think your friend should consult with a doctor first for a safe fitness routine.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:59 pm
You can just say it's too much of a liability for other people work out on your equipment, and say that you'd love to take a walk with her anytime, like Thunder suggests.

jflower

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:04 pm
Tell her your insurance company advised you that you could be liable if somebody using your equipment gets hurt and that it's not a good idea to let others use your gym equipment.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is she really 400 lbs or are u exaggerating. Because I find it hard to believe someone 400 lbs could even do much on any exercise equipment.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:15 pm
jflower wrote:
Tell her your insurance company advised you that you could be liable if somebody using your equipment gets hurt and that it's not a good idea to let others use your gym equipment.

Never a good idea to lie.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:17 pm
It's a huge imposition to have someone working out in your house every day. Just say it doesn't work for your family to have someone working out in your house. The end. No other explanations. For $15 a month she can go to a gym.

LittleMissMama

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:11 pm
She might feel self conscious at a public gym. That said I would never want someone in my space on such a regular basis.

It's hard to say no to people but it's something you have to learn at some point.

tiredmommy

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:13 pm
I am all for doing chessed but letting anybody (in any physical shape) use your home gym on a regular basis is opening yourself up to liability. What if she injures herself or chas vshalom has a heart attack while exercising? It's too risky.

dorothy1

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:15 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Never a good idea to lie.

It is true that she’d be liable if someone were injured Chas vshalom

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:22 pm
Does she live in lakewood?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:23 pm
New ad for peloton?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette