Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
So nervous about high school exam and app..Lkwd

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 9:54 am
I know much has been discussed about this here but now it's my turn...
My daughter is a wonderful fine frum eidel girl but struggles academically. I'm worried the schools will get turned off from this and not give her much of a chance.
Also, her elementary doesn't have h.s. and most of her grade is applying to a certain school, which we also want.
We're chassidish but didn't send to the most chassidish school in Lkwd for a reason and that remains the same.
I left message for her principal to discuss my options but haven't heard back yet and honestly, don't know what options there are as there are few schools that fit our criteria.
I'm worried for my precious daughter who deserves everything the best. I want her to have the best experience in applying, taking exam and getting in.
I went thru so much getting her into her current elementary as was space issue etc and was worth all the hassle and wait as we've had such a wonderful amazing experience.
I'm davening all should work out best for her!

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:39 pm
I don't want to derail your thread my daughter is still young. I don't have an answer for you but curious what elementary accepted your daughter. We are also chassidish, but we won't fit into schools with parent body that goes covered, and my daughters school is giving us a hard time that she is not doing so well academical. I wish to send her to a less academic school. but I was told for my type all the schools have high academics in the hebrew department and no lower level school exists

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 7:07 pm
Not to be pessimistic and idk if it's different with chassidish schools but I've heard that there is a 200 seat shortage in girls high schools for the coming year. It's going to be tough and it won't have what to do with the particular girl. I wish there was a reasonable answer to this problem that keeps snowballing!! Hatzlocha, she should get into the best place to for her easily!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I don't want to derail your thread my daughter is still young. I don't have an answer for you but curious what elementary accepted your daughter. We are also chassidish, but we won't fit into schools with parent body that goes covered, and my daughters school is giving us a hard time that she is not doing so well academical. I wish to send her to a less academic school. but I was told for my type all the schools have high academics in the hebrew department and no lower level school exists

Hi, my daughter is in one of the heimishe schools in Lakewood and it's high academic level. She just plugs her way thru it and is a real champion.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:06 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Not to be pessimistic and idk if it's different with chassidish schools but I've heard that there is a 200 seat shortage in girls high schools for the coming year. It's going to be tough and it won't have what to do with the particular girl. I wish there was a reasonable answer to this problem that keeps snowballing!! Hatzlocha, she should get into the best place to for her easily!!

Amen, yes it's scary!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:41 pm
Daven, daven ,daven....
Be positive and show her that you're not worried(even if you are!!!)
She's a wonderful girl and whoever accept her into their school will be so lucky!!
And give your daughter the message that wherever she's accepted will be the place that hashem chose for her to attend and therefore will be great!!!
The differences between all the high school are very slim anyway!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 9:54 am
Just coming back here for feedback:
My daughter found the entrance exam VERY HARD! She said it was mostly in Hebrew and half the stuff she never learnt!
Now the schools will judge her based on that...

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:30 am
If only every elementary school would open a high school - or even partner with an existing hs and have an understanding that elementary gets priority.

Bais yakov of boro park and bais yakov high school had such an agreement, even though they were two separate schools.

In Brooklyn, most elementary schools have a hs and there is much less of this problem.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:44 am
#BestBubby wrote:
If only every elementary school would open a high school - or even partner with an existing hs and have an understanding that elementary gets priority.

Bais yakov of boro park and bais yakov high school had such an agreement, even though they were two separate schools.

In Brooklyn, most elementary schools have a hs and there is much less of this problem.

There are pluses and minuses.
Pluses are obvious - you have a school to go to with friends.
Minuses -
not likely to get into other schools. So if you’ve struggled at your current school, friends issues or administration issues to are still pretty stuck at your current school. While you could go elsewhere it is very difficult. I know ppl dealing with this.
- costs - my dd school said the startup cost of a high school is huge. Land in Lakewood had become so expensive they can’t afford it. I asked our school administrator why they don’t do it. He said if I could get him a 2 million dollar sponsor on the school he would do it. The school is small. They are bursting so no room to add classrooms. So to start takes so much money they can’t take it from the current schools infrastructure.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:49 am
Some words of comfort, OP. I have heard that the entrance exam factors less into your daughter's acceptance to high school than you think. Her basic standing in her class, and her school's recommendation of her as a whole, count for a whole lot more.

There are some schools that are into the girls who display academic brilliance but beyond that, a girl's good name is what they are looking for.

My advice to you would be to get her principal on her side. My experience has been that a principal that is invested in her students can accomplish alot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:52 am
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!
Yes, I've very much been in touch with her principal, who loves her and will only say the best things.
And of course, I know it's all in Hashem's hands!
It's just hard, she's my oldest and it's nerve wracking. Especially with all the hype from vaad and beyond!

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:55 am
Im just curious which schools are you hoping to get into?
My daughter is also in a heimish school and have no idea how it works.
Thankfully shes not in 8th grd. Yet, so I have some time still..

keym

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:56 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
There are pluses and minuses.
Pluses are obvious - you have a school to go to with friends.
Minuses -
not likely to get into other schools. So if you’ve struggled at your current school, friends issues or administration issues to are still pretty stuck at your current school. While you could go elsewhere it is very difficult. I know ppl dealing with this.
- costs - my dd school said the startup cost of a high school is huge. Land in Lakewood had become so expensive they can’t afford it. I asked our school administrator why they don’t do it. He said if I could get him a 2 million dollar sponsor on the school he would do it. The school is small. They are bursting so no room to add classrooms. So to start takes so much money they can’t take it from the current schools infrastructure.

I spoke to an elementary school administrator. He said to start an elementary school takes a Morah, an assistant, 18 girls and a basement classroom somewhere.
High School Girls want/need multiple teachers, which means multiple salaries. They want GO, play, a real school environment, tracked classes, options. So they start off with 30-40 girls and multiple teachers, mechanchos, and coordinators.
That's a more significant outlay.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 1:27 pm
Maybe a general tzedokkah fund that will give grants/free loans for starting/expanding schools.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 1:47 pm
Hi op,
I read how you described your daughter and she sounds so similar to my daughter. My daughter is in the upper elementary grades (not applying for hs yet) and I worry just the same. My daughter is a good girl with good middos but unfortunately struggles academically. She won’t give up and works so hard so she can be like everyone else. She studies all night- literally, until she just collapses in bed. Her teachers see how hard she works and are amazed by her effort. Socially she is up to par and BH her yiras shamayim is strong. She thrives in the summer in camp where she can be just like everyone else. I am so so worried about hs because I feel like she doesn’t stand a chance to get into any place with a good reputation. I refuse to put her in a hs that is on a lower level academically if we have to compromise on the yiddishkeit of the girls.
I don’t know how accurate this is but I heard that Bais Shaindel does not pressure the girls and they are generally from good homes- a mix of chassidish and litvish.
Please let me know how things turned out for your daughter since we will be dealing with this very soon.
Much hatzlocha to you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Hi op,
I read how you described your daughter and she sounds so similar to my daughter. My daughter is in the upper elementary grades (not applying for hs yet) and I worry just the same. My daughter is a good girl with good middos but unfortunately struggles academically. She won’t give up and works so hard so she can be like everyone else. She studies all night- literally, until she just collapses in bed. Her teachers see how hard she works and are amazed by her effort. Socially she is up to par and BH her yiras shamayim is strong. She thrives in the summer in camp where she can be just like everyone else. I am so so worried about hs because I feel like she doesn’t stand a chance to get into any place with a good reputation. I refuse to put her in a hs that is on a lower level academically if we have to compromise on the yiddishkeit of the girls.
I don’t know how accurate this is but I heard that Bais Shaindel does not pressure the girls and they are generally from good homes- a mix of chassidish and litvish.
Please let me know how things turned out for your daughter since we will be dealing with this very soon.
Much hatzlocha to you.

Thanks, yes, we want Bais Shaindel but keep hearing from all sides how impossible it is to get into, how it's so high academic, how the classes are so large etc. Who knows? I'm trying my hishtadlus and Hashem will help.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 3:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, yes, we want Bais Shaindel but keep hearing from all sides how impossible it is to get into, how it's so high academic, how the classes are so large etc. Who knows? I'm trying my hishtadlus and Hashem will help.

I heard it's not hard academically, unless they changed. But it is hard to get in because it takes most girls from its elementary, Bais RR.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 3:42 pm
I have no clue regarding acceptance but I do know that Bais Shaindel is on a lower level academically than both bais yaakov high school of boro Park as well as bais yaakov or Lakewood

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:08 pm
I do think Bais Shaindel is a wonderful school and if you could get in, you should take it. I think the academics there are good enough for a smart kid, while at the same time the atmosphere is such that it's not pressurizing for a girl who needs more leeway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics