Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
17 yr old traveling alone domestic ID requirements?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:02 am
My DD will be flying to California alone next month
She doesnt have photo ID and I am getting mixed answers from the airline if she could fly without a photo ID.I dont have time to get her a photo ID now.
Does anyone have info and did anyone's children fly alone without photo ID and not have an issue. What documents does she need and does she need a note from me?

TIA

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My DD will be flying to California alone next month
She doesnt have photo ID and I am getting mixed answers from the airline if she could fly without a photo ID.I dont have time to get her a photo ID now.
Does anyone have info and did anyone's children fly alone without photo ID and not have an issue. What documents does she need and does she need a note from me?

TIA

It's always smart to travel with ID, even if she doesn't need it for flying.
She needs a birth certificate and a note from parents. Depending on the airline, she may need photo ID. A month is plenty time to get ID.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:05 am
If I read this right... TSA it seems children under 18 don't need ID

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/sec.....ation

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:12 am
My 15 yr old son travel every month with only his birth certificate and most of the time they don’t even ask to see it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:14 am
They don't need it but it might be easier to just have it available. My 14 yo hasn't been asked for the state ID he has when he's flown, but he doesn't look like an adult. A 17 yo who looks like they are 18 might look like one anyway.
It's very quick (IME) to get a state ID. We just went to our local BMV/DMV with documentation (probably birth certificate and SS card?) and was able to procur one for him. I suggest looking at your state's regulations on how to get an ID and what needs to be brought, but we got it on the spot. Once you have it, it's no big deal to keep in your wallet.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:18 am
Oh Hashem Yaazor, how can you use the words "very quick" and DMV in the same sentence?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:21 am
LOL -- different branches in different locations have varied wait times, also depending on time of day you go. Some of them only do IDs, some are kiosks, etc etc
It really was quick for my son (and much longer for me when I had to renew my license and I gave up and went back a different day earlier in the day Wink )

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:22 am
I'm actually trying to convince my husband to do it for my 13 yo since he'll be flying next month, but my husband doesn't see a need since they never ask for it. My 13 yo looks like he's 10. I'm actually more afraid they won't believe he's old enough to fly unaccompanied (Southwest).

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:31 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
Oh Hashem Yaazor, how can you use the words "very quick" and DMV in the same sentence?

If you get there early enough... Before doors open early. You might just have luck

lauful

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:36 am
No one needs ID believe it or not. Starting at the end of 2020, ID will be mandatory but right now for some reason it is not.
I spoke to a few airlines and they told me that I should just make sure to arrive extra early as it can take extra time to go through security.
If you don’t believe me (I thought google was lying), call up the airline and ask them straight and you’ll see that I’m right☺️.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 3:15 pm
singleagain wrote:
If you get there early enough... Before doors open early. You might just have luck

I have tried going before they open...the line is enormous and you are waiting outside in the cold/heat with no shade.

You also forgot to mention the parking problem. When the dmv's are full, the parking lots are fuller.

Anyway, back to the OP, you dont really need it. Having a few extra pieces of ID, (health card which she will need while travelling anyway and maybe a current report card to show with a soft proof that she is still in high school?) A report card is one of the softer identifications that can be used at the DMV, so it must have some merit.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 4:51 pm
You guys realize there's more than one DMV in America. In fact, in my state, we don't even call it DMV. Neither in my previous state did we... And in my city, there are multiple branches. I never had to wait outside, ever! :-)

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 5:51 pm
My 17 year old did need photo ID when she flew this summer. She used her passport.

I second Hashem Yaazor's suggestion. Make the time to get a state ID. It's so much easier than dealing with a major hassle at the airport.

Side note -- a note from you does nothing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 6:11 pm
Thanks all.

I called a travel agent who said a photo ID is needed.
I called the airline who had to look it up but the guy told me that it really is up to the TSA not the airlines, and it is up to the TSA at each airport and it depends if there is a threat that day.
I also went on the TSA website and it says no photo ID is needed but I am still not sure. There is not one rule across the board, it seems like it depends on each TSA agent.

I wish I could go and get a ID but the DMV is a half hour away and the times dont work out for me.

Do you think a notarized note would help?

On a side note I believe you could go on the DMV website and book an appointment for what you need done and they will take you faster than if you go without an appointment.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:01 am
My teens, age 13-17, have all flown themselves (domestic) without id (United, Alaska, Southwest- and I'm sure there were others that I don't remember) and we've never had a problem. 2 of them flew in late December 2019 and there was no issue. Some of my DDs have school id (totally unofficial) which they carry (cuz- why not) but DS doesn't. Totally not a problem.

ETA They don't carry birth certificate or parental notes either.

MommyM

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all.

I called a travel agent who said a photo ID is needed.
I called the airline who had to look it up but the guy told me that it really is up to the TSA not the airlines, and it is up to the TSA at each airport and it depends if there is a threat that day.
I also went on the TSA website and it says no photo ID is needed but I am still not sure. There is not one rule across the board, it seems like it depends on each TSA agent.

I wish I could go and get a ID but the DMV is a half hour away and the times dont work out for me.

Do you think a notarized note would help?

On a side note I believe you could go on the DMV website and book an appointment for what you need done and they will take you faster than if you go without an appointment.

No photo ID is needed under 18. The only problem would be if she looks like she may be over 18, in which case she can just bring her birth certificate to prove her age.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:11 am
singleagain wrote:

I went about a half hour before the office opened and there was already a long line waiting outside. It's still worth getting ID though because once you have it you have it. She may as well get her learners permit now because why not?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:32 am
gamanit wrote:
I went about a half hour before the office opened and there was already a long line waiting outside. It's still worth getting ID though because once you have it you have it. She may as well get her learners permit now because why not?

Maybe go to a different office? I live in Elizabeth, I never go to the Elizabeth DMV, I usually go to Springfield or Rahway. Sure it's half an hour away, but the time spent is much more peaceful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics