Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How many of us go to hotel for Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:56 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Europe’s has tons

But then you need to spend a lot on airfare

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:08 am
Not us. Not our thing. I prefer to vacation when it’s not yomtov

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:42 am
We sometimes spend a few days during Chol HaMaoed at a kosher Youth Hostel or book a last-minute hotel room here in Israel. That way we can do nature hikes, etc.

We don't do "programs" and we don't want to hold our seder in a hotel room. To me, that is too regimented to be fun. We're on vacation.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:57 am
Reality wrote:
Why are so many people responding to OP about their fake "hotel" at home experience? If you don't go don't respond! Seems so rude to me.

Wasn't going to say anything until I saw this, but I don't think the OP's question is very sensitive, and I think your response highlights where it can go wrong. I'd think the same thing about a question phrased "how many of us live in mansions?" Or "how many of us wear real diamonds?"

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing pesach programs or raising questions about them. But the way the question was phrased, it seems like, "how many of us belong to this exclusive club that many can't afford?" When some women responded with their creative version of a pesach hotel, the above post calls them rude and tells them not to respond. (Can't afford it? Stay out of the convo - you're not like us!)

I know that you don't have to be wealthy to attend, but this is inaccessible to so many posters here. Again, I have no issue with people discussing luxuries - I think everyone should enjoy what they can afford. It's just the phrasing of "how many of us have this luxury? Chime in!"

Anyway, I already know many are going to disagree so bring on the tomatoes. That's just my two cents.

Aylat

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:15 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

If you're in North America. Or Australia. Wink

Mayflower

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:24 am
We've considered it, since I work right up until erev Pesach and I would love the break. We also crunched the numbers and while it is obviously more expensive than staying home, the prices for a lot of European programs really aren't that crazy. Making Pesach at home also costs money...

But in the end, we decided to stay home. The idea of a Seder in a hotel just doesn't appeal to us.

I wish there was a way to not have to cook / clean and still have the "home" experience.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:59 am
WhatFor wrote:
Wasn't going to say anything until I saw this, but I don't think the OP's question is very sensitive, and I think your response highlights where it can go wrong. I'd think the same thing about a question phrased "how many of us live in mansions?" Or "how many of us wear real diamonds?"

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing pesach programs or raising questions about them. But the way the question was phrased, it seems like, "how many of us belong to this exclusive club that many can't afford?" When some women responded with their creative version of a pesach hotel, the above post calls them rude and tells them not to respond. (Can't afford it? Stay out of the convo - you're not like us!)

I know that you don't have to be wealthy to attend, but this is inaccessible to so many posters here. Again, I have no issue with people discussing luxuries - I think everyone should enjoy what they can afford. It's just the phrasing of "how many of us have this luxury? Chime in!"

Anyway, I already know many are going to disagree so bring on the tomatoes. That's just my two cents.

Yikes. I just figured OP wanted a rough estimate (from individual responses) of how may people go to programs, how many do not, and if you do go, where?

Who would get upset by such a question? Do people feel compelled to find things to get upset about?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:33 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
My friend went to a program last year that was technically Kosher but not well run. They would serve a fleishig meal for Shalos Seudos and then have a milchig Melave Malka just three hours later. I don't envy her.

that happened to me once, I complained and they said but people wait 3 hours anyway!

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:01 am
I stay home and cook simple meals, usually no guests. Been making peasch since I got married. This will be my 17th time. After reading about how some programs flopped or cancelled last minute or how under prepared they were, its doesn't sound like fun for me.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:10 am
We don't go to a hotel exactly but my whole family comes in to Israel (where most of us live) and spends chol hamoed together at a kibbutz guest house.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:12 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
You can not begin to understand, or try to understand , the reasons people go to pesach hotels. Many different scenarios...a sick parent, an overworked mother or father on the brink of snapping, those who make this their one and only vacation for the year, mom's and dads who have gotten divorced, people who have tremendous families and have endless nachas seeing the whole family together, people who work like dogs the whole year and earn decent parnassah and want to fargin themselves the work...it's like a five week vacation at least, preparing for pesach takes 4 weeks, and pesach itself one week.

It does not cost 4000 a person. Many programs are less. I know for a fact, some are approximately 2500 a person, some even less. Definitely alot of money. For some people, it's a lifeline, their sanity, it preserves their shalom bayis, keeps them from needing to pay 1000's to a therapist, keeps them off anxiety meds...and the list goes on. You never will ever know. Each and every person there has a story, not necessarily a bad one..

I don't think it's a matter of judging. I would totally go, but I can't begin to imagine affording the expense so it would be impossible for us. Even though our family does really need it and would benefit. And we're not even poor. We can cover the basics plus a little extra here and there. I suppose there are many people who are well above our income bracket and those of our friends.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:32 am
I definitely get a lot of help. But it is easier at home, once you get a cleaner and even buy food if need be, than functioning away with restrictions. and the thought of that money and what could be done with it on a yr vacay...

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:08 am
naturalmom5 wrote:

Not necessarily. There are lots of deals fonbe had. Also people have airline points.

Basically it’s cheaper (even with the airfare) to go to Spain than it is to go to LI

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:25 pm
I would love to stay home.

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:41 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Not necessarily. There are lots of deals fonbe had. Also people have airline points.

Basically it’s cheaper (even with the airfare) to go to Spain than it is to go to LI

If you live in NY? I find that hard to believe.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:47 pm
Airline points have value that can be used towards other things too.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:59 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
If you live in NY? I find that hard to believe.

There are programs in Spain for 1500 euro a person

avrahamama

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:03 pm
I know someone who hired wait staff, cleaning staff and babysitting staff. Ordered all their meals catered. Hired magicians, bouncy castles etc for the kids and invited their entire family to spend pesach with them. If they lived nearby they could come and go as they pleased for meals etc and if they needed to sleep they sorted it out.

To me this is the best of both worlds and if I had money what I would looooove to do

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And which program?
me ..pesachwithchefflam.com

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 9:34 pm
I went last year because my in-laws paid for us. The Seder was actually the nicest part- so many families doing their own different minhagim was beautiful.

But after all the food wasn’t good and I don’t think had the best kashrut. I really hope I get to stay home this year!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics