Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Help me brainstorm - old ladies theme
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:41 pm
My girls want to dress up as old ladies this Purim. I want to do this as cheap as I can Very Happy . Ages 2-5. Any cheap “grandma” dresses on amazon or such...? What else would I need, white sneakers? Links appreciated or any other ideas

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:09 am
Can't Believe It

What rock did you crawl out of that you don't realize that this is offensive?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:21 am
If you dress up as a police officer, it's offensive. Firefighter, same. Chinese person, extremely offensive. Hey don't you dare be a dog! My dog may get insulted!

mommyW

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:40 am
Alifavorites.com had some things listed today for old lady costume. Glasses on a chain, a cane etc. Check them out.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:16 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image
My friend used this and her daughter looked adorable

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:26 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
If you dress up as a police officer, it's offensive. Firefighter, same. Chinese person, extremely offensive. Hey don't you dare be a dog! My dog may get insulted!

Police officer is not offensive. MM referring to them as pigs is offensive. Firefighter is not offensive. Dog is not offensive. Chinease is only offensive to some ultra liberals who want to be outraged by everything night PC.

Old lady is offensive. You are mocking someone because they are old. You don't do that. It's not cute. It's sad that you can't see this.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:41 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Police officer is not offensive. MM referring to them as pigs is offensive. Firefighter is not offensive. Dog is not offensive. Chinease is only offensive to some ultra liberals who want to be outraged by everything night PC.

Old lady is offensive. You are mocking someone because they are old. You don't do that. It's not cute. It's sad that you can't see this.

Who's mocking?

You're mocking a police officer by dressing up as them

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:56 am
Who's mocking?

You're mocking a police officer by dressing up as them

It's amazing you can't see the difference. People strive to be police officers. They take a test and go to school.

No one wants to be old and infirm. Why not dress the kids up as down syndrome kids? It's just as offensive. You are making fun of a disability.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:06 am
At the same time that I say אל תשליכני לעית זקנה, I see old people as beautiful people. When my daughter asked to dress up like a bubby because she loves bubby, and all she wore was a grey wig and a retro-style dress (no cane or walker, because I found that to be as making fun), I viewed it as beautiful that she wanted to dress up, quote "as a bubby because I love bubby"

My friend was screamed at in a grocery store because her kid was dressed as a a doctor after having learned about doctors in nursery. The man said it's people like you who put down our profession. People can think that of anything. A child dressing as a police officer on Purim? Putting down the profession as just fun and games.
Sorry, I do hear where you're coming from, but I will disagree with you. Soon you won't be able to dress up as anything

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:18 am
The best place to find old lady clothings is a thrift shop.
Look for one near you!
In Lakewood, thrift stores raise their prices close to purim for most purim clothes!! If you go now it might be early enough to still be cheap! Wink
And no it's not offensive at all, most old people find it very cute! I've done it when I was a child and went to deliver mishloach manos in old age home with my parents.
(Today eveything is offensive! Walking outside with a yarmulke is offensive to some, should little boys stop wearing them?)

polka dots

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:20 am
You can put baby powder in their hair it should be grey and put it up in a bun.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:51 am
At the same time that I say אל תשליכני לעית זקנה, I see old people as beautiful people. When my daughter asked to dress up like a bubby because she loves bubby, and all she wore was a grey wig and a retro-style dress (no cane or walker, because I found that to be as making fun), I viewed it as beautiful that she wanted to dress up, quote "as a bubby because I love bubby"

My friend was screamed at in a grocery store because her kid was dressed as a a doctor after having learned about doctors in nursery. The man said it's people like you who put down our profession. People can think that of anything. A child dressing as a police officer on Purim? Putting down the profession as just fun and games.
Sorry, I do hear where you're coming from, but I will disagree with you. Soon you won't be able to dress up as anything

This doesn't sound credible. Anyway, that might have been one crazy dr if this story is true. I would probably tell someone IRL that her kids are dressed cute, but I would think she is an insensitive fool. Any that's OK if OP doesn't care what people think of her.

OP's little girls could be fancy ladies instead.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:56 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
It's amazing you can't see the difference. People strive to be police officers. They take a test and go to school.

No one wants to be old and infirm. Why not dress the kids up as down syndrome kids? It's just as offensive. You are making fun of a disability.

Old age a disability?
I'll take old even if it comes with infirm, beats the alternatives.
For some reason I'm not finding this offensive*. But since so many people do, OP, maybe you shouldn't.
Or ask your oldest living relatives what they think.
No time to watch this now but since older boomers are in their mid 70s maybe this can be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYo9QgVqAW8

*Nor do I find dressing up as a policeperson per se offensive.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:

I don’t find it offensive at all. It’s the same as dressing up as a yerushalmi or chasid or any of that sort. People should stop already with this defensiveness!!! When my niece got dressed as an old woman my grandma was so happy to help her. She lent her necklace, wig, and some clothes.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:59 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Can't Believe It

What rock did you crawl out of that you don't realize that this is offensive?

I think you need to get a sense of humor. Sounds like a cute idea to me.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:13 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Old age a disability?
I'll take old even if it comes with infirm, beats the alternatives.
For some reason I'm not finding this offensive*. But since so many people do, OP, maybe you shouldn't.
Or ask your oldest living
relatives what they think.
No time to watch this now but since older boomers are in their mid 70s maybe this can be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYo9QgVqAW8

*Nor do I find dressing up as a policeperson per se offensive.

I only see amother blush being offended, noone else!
Hey,maybe we need a poll? LOL

polka dots

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:15 am
Is dressing up as shabbos Totty offensive?? But a zeidy is? What age is the cutoff? And what if you dress up as Mordechai and you wear a white beard? C’mon.

A grandmother is a stage in life as any other. I think the people screaming it’s offensive make it sound like getting old is a disability.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:22 am
I’m sorry to whoever gets offended. I find the PC attitude to Purim costumes pathetic. There I said it.
So many children want to emulate their elderly and wiser grand parents , great grandparents and other seniors in their life. These are people they look up to. Old age is a beautiful thing. Why on earth does EVERYTHING always need to be twisted to be something negative?

This is how I’d put a costume together :

Short old sheitel (you can cut one) and spray with silver spray
A dress
A sweater
A pair of reading glasses in the tip of the nose
Beige /nude thick stockings
Fuzzy slippers
Cane
Bright blue eye shadow and bright pink lipstick with very pink blush.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:33 am
This one goes up to size 5
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:33 pm
I'm sorry I did not expect this to turn into a debate. I never thought of it as offensive. I myself did this when younger and my grandmother in her 90s happily gave me a sweater and accessories. I will think about it now. A few years ago we dressed up as babies, how is this so different? I am not meaning to mock any older women I think they have a certain gentleness and are cute in their own way. Thank you for all your responses
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics