Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
On track evaluation Lakewood

alwayscooking

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 3:59 am
Hi,
Can someone who had their child evaluated by On track tell me there experience? Firstly what did you benefit from having the eval done? Secondly if you can tell me any advice based on your experience I would greatly appreciate that and who evlauated ir child and were u happy with them?
Tx 4 ur help!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 4:41 am
They do the evaluation in school.
Usually due to a lack of space there are distractions in school (meaning people walking in and out of the room) so I’m not sure how accurate the evaluation is.
We did not get any diagnosis from them (after multiple evaluations) only recommendation that tutoring in various subjects would help. I found it frustrating since I obviously knew that tutoring would help since my child was struggling in school. To be fair, when I took my child to be evaluated at the Children’s specialized hospital, we weren’t given any diagnosis either. They only pointed out how my child was struggling in each area tested (I already knew that my child was struggling)
Very frustrating to watch a child struggle in school and not to really in why. If you are given a diagnosis you can research the best way to work with the child.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 19 2020, 8:04 am
Try to get a private evaluation if you possibly can.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:08 am
Please tell me more. School has conserns and wants me to agree to it for my daughter

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:23 am
I think after they evaluate they recommend which therapies or tutoring would help your child. They might even suggest a self contained class if your school has one.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:43 am
They will do an evaluation and recommend what school based services can help your child. Only a psychologist with a doctorate cab give a diagnosis and most evaluators don't have that level of credentials, as is typical for evaluators in most places. I'd you are looking for a diagnosis you may need to go elsewhere

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:01 am
I used them.

INSIST that they attend the meeting to discuss results. Politely but firmly state that you will not sign any documentation unless they attend and stay at the meeting for the entire time (and not run out because they scheduled another meeting at the same time so they can bill for both but cut their hours.)

INSIST that you want the testing scheduled for when you can attend so you can see how your child is doing and when you read the report you will have some idea of what went on. The reports can be technical and if you saw it happening, it helps provide an understanding for you.

I was a newbie and totally clueless so I was taken for a ride. The way some of them take advantage is beyond. You don't know what you are eligible for, they make it seem like they are doing you the hugest favor... This is federal funding and there are guidelines that they have to adhere to. They are not doing you favors. You have rights - you are allowed to ask questions and understand what is going on. They have to explain their reporting and recommendations and why.

Some of the reports had spelling errors, wrong child's name... so sloppy, I doubted if they even did what they said they did.

You can use them, but ask for clear explanations on what they will be testing. Ask if there is more testing in different disciplines available such as speech and OT in additional to educational psych. Ask what your rights are and if you can receive documentation on this. If the ditzy secretary says ummm I don't know, insist on getting a phone call back and let her know that you are documenting the phone call and the date and will reference this if you don't hear back. Just be tough, polite but tough. Some people we met were professional, competent and nice, and some were... not.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:57 pm
do they have competitors? anyone else to go for education?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:01 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
They do the evaluation in school.
Usually due to a lack of space there are distractions in school (meaning people walking in and out of the room) so I’m not sure how accurate the evaluation is.
We did not get any diagnosis from them (after multiple evaluations) only recommendation that tutoring in various subjects would help. I found it frustrating since I obviously knew that tutoring would help since my child was struggling in school. To be fair, when I took my child to be evaluated at the Children’s specialized hospital, we weren’t given any diagnosis either. They only pointed out how my child was struggling in each area tested (I already knew that my child was struggling)
Very frustrating to watch a child struggle in school and not to really in why. If you are given a diagnosis you can research the best way to work with the child.

to my knowledge childrens specialize is if it affects life, not from an education point of view.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I used them.

INSIST that they attend the meeting to discuss results. Politely but firmly state that you will not sign any documentation unless they attend and stay at the meeting for the entire time (and not run out because they scheduled another meeting at the same time so they can bill for both but cut their hours.)

INSIST that you want the testing scheduled for when you can attend so you can see how your child is doing and when you read the report you will have some idea of what went on. The reports can be technical and if you saw it happening, it helps provide an understanding for you.

I was a newbie and totally clueless so I was taken for a ride. The way some of them take advantage is beyond. You don't know what you are eligible for, they make it seem like they are doing you the hugest favor... This is federal funding and there are guidelines that they have to adhere to. They are not doing you favors. You have rights - you are allowed to ask questions and understand what is going on. They have to explain their reporting and recommendations and why.

Some of the reports had spelling errors, wrong child's name... so sloppy, I doubted if they even did what they said they did.

You can use them, but ask for clear explanations on what they will be testing. Ask if there is more testing in different disciplines available such as speech and OT in additional to educational psych. Ask what your rights are and if you can receive documentation on this. If the ditzy secretary says ummm I don't know, insist on getting a phone call back and let her know that you are documenting the phone call and the date and will reference this if you don't hear back. Just be tough, polite but tough. Some people we met were professional, competent and nice, and some were... not.

The ppl doing the testing I think were great.

In terms of follow up they dropped the ball. I was also not on top of it.

My son did not get all the services ordered. Pushed paperwork after paperwork. Didn’t want me to drop out after not getting services for years.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:11 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
to my knowledge childrens specialize is if it affects life, not from an education point of view.

Not at all.
Besides a child who is struggling academically is definitely having his life affected. There’s a long waiting list though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics