Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
It comcerns me

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:16 pm
My yashiva boy 14 decided he wants to loose weight. He comes home after 8 pm and he decided he doesnt wanna eat after 7 anymore . That means skipping supper . They do not eat dinner in yashiva and he claims he doesnt like the yashivas lunches , I jave no idea if he does eat lunch or not . I assume he wouldnt let himself starve. Today I prepared a good nutritiost dinner for him , he refused eating it because he made up not to eat after 7 and it has passed 7. He went to sleep without eating dinner and im totally not happy about it . I tried to talk him in to eat but I cant force a 14 year old to eat if he doesnt want. Should I be concerned now?? It does bother me he went to sleep without eating and he told me he ate last a snack . I did tell him thats not a healthy way but I couldnt do more then this .

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:20 pm
I doubt it will last more than a couple of days. He's 14... Give him space to make his own choices and learn from the consequences. People don't grow from following orders all the time. They grow from trying, failing, and succeeding of their own accord.

Stars

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:26 pm
Ignore it but if it lasts more than a few days take him to the pediatrician.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:49 pm
If he loses too much weight, appears lethargic or irritable, or there are any other signs of starvation, that would be cause for concern. Otherwise leave him be.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 11:52 pm
Probably will just pass after a few days, just leave him be. Unless he has a history with adopting extreme behavior and sticking to it.

whewpy

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:46 am
Why don't you send along a sandwich for him to eat before 7 during a break?

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My yashiva boy 14 decided he wants to loose weight. He comes home after 8 pm and he decided he doesnt wanna eat after 7 anymore . That means skipping supper . They do not eat dinner in yashiva and he claims he doesnt like the yashivas lunches , I jave no idea if he does eat lunch or not . I assume he wouldnt let himself starve. Today I prepared a good nutritiost dinner for him , he refused eating it because he made up not to eat after 7 and it has passed 7. He went to sleep without eating dinner and im totally not happy about it . I tried to talk him in to eat but I cant force a 14 year old to eat if he doesnt want. Should I be concerned now?? It does bother me he went to sleep without eating and he told me he ate last a snack . I did tell him thats not a healthy way but I couldnt do more then this .

He should know that 95% of people who lose weight gain it back with extra weight within two years. He should eat healthfully and try to make a habit of exercising. That is the best way to lose weight and keep it off.

Depriving himself of nutrition during puberty may harm his health now and in the future, and lead to temporary weight loss but probably also permanent weight gain.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:21 am
whewpy wrote:
Why don't you send along a sandwich for him to eat before 7 during a break?

Maybe with whole grains too. Tell him that the conventional wisdom for weight loss is on eating healthy food - whole grains, fruits, vegetables, protein.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:38 am
Teenagers should not be dieting. Maybe he or you should talk to a weight-inclusive dietitian/ nutrition professional to educate him on what healthy eating is.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:03 am
When is his next well visit appointment?

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:22 am
My pediatrician was saying she sees more and more cases of anorexia with boys. Somehow it became a thing in yeshiva and the boys are dieting. Keep an eye on him and monitor how much he eats. Check how many calories a boy his age should be eating and count his calories, and explain to him the dangers of eating too little.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics