Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
In my 20's - want new career-plz help

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:30 am
I have no idea where to turn. I had lots of serious tzaros recently and kind of lost the person I used to be. I'm looking to rebuild myself, I am in therapy for trauma, I've been to a couple of therapists-none actually helped me discover what I want to do, careerwise, where I want to go...they just listen and try to prompt me but it's getting nowhere...I feel like I'm at a dead end. I really want to throw myself into a career but kind of don't even know where to start, what to do...I'm very bright, I communicate well, I'm warm but a introvert, I would prefer a family friendly career with good work/home balance yet nice salary...any advice?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:41 am
Hugs for the hard times.

Quick question: what does the trauma have to do with your career? And what are you doing right now? Do you have any credentials?

Programming can have good work/life balance and a decent salary after a year or two. I know a lot of people who work as programmers and can work from home, flex their hours, etc.

Where do you live?

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:07 am
Try a life coach or a career coach.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:08 am
I don’t think a new career is going to resolve all the issues you are dealing with. I mean this in a kind loving way. Good luck on everything!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:13 am
tichellady wrote:
I don’t think a new career is going to resolve all the issues you are dealing with. I mean this in a kind loving way. Good luck on everything!

I don't know if I agree with this based solely on the information that OP provided.

Last year, I was in a similar boat. I changed positions within my career and my whole life has turned around. Sure, it's not JUST that - but somehow, leaving the daily stress behind from my position last year has enabled therapy and medication to magically start working. I was in therapy and on medication all last year, too.

It could be a chicken-and-egg situation, but if her trauma and issues are career-related or career-exacerbated, then it makes sense to switch careers.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:13 am
Have you tried sitting down with a career counselor? You can probably meet with one for free through your local Jewish Federation. If you went to college or graduate school, the university's career office probably offers some free assistance to alumni as well. It will help tremendously if you come prepared with a resume and some preliminary thoughts.

As for "family friendly with a nice income," this is usually not something that is available to people when they are first entering a career, but becomes increasingly available as you gain experience and become more valuable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics