Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Food as reward/Taking away treats as punishment
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:55 am
Does rewarding using food really lead to a bad relationship with food?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:56 am
Probably not for everyone. But for plenty of people, yes.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:57 am
I think moderation is ok. Always using food as a reward will probably have negative effects such as eating too much junk but once in a while, mixed in with other prizes/privileges, I think it's ok.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:03 am
If you think about it, food is a big motivator for everything in the "real world".

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:06 am
Kids can and should get logical consequences/rewards.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. Don’t do it.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. Teaching that food = reward and lack of food = punishment messes up kids' relationships with food and seriously harms their abilities to eat healthfully in the future.
Don't do it.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:34 am
I think you need to use common sense. There's a difference between 'you don't get to finish dinner because you are fidgeting at the table' and 'you can't choose a treat at the grocery store because you are grabbing things from the shelves'

Know your child. There is no form of discipline, punishment, or reward that is one size fits all.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:06 pm
It definitely leads to an unnatural relationship towards food. Many of our frum practices are also problematic. Shabbos parties make no sense. Give a kid food when hungry but not when bored. Eating food the second the car starts also makes no sense. You are conditioning kids to eat when the car starts. You remove the natural connection between food and hunger.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
It definitely leads to an unnatural relationship towards food.

Unnatural? One of the main natural rewards is food. Hunting, fishing, farming, etc. are all done for the incentive of food.

forgetit

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you think about it, food is a big motivator for everything in the "real world".

What do you mean? The only thing I can think you may mean is a wedding or simcha or fundraiser type of thing. And even in that case, its not exclusively the food that is drawing people out.
Please explain if you mean something else.

forgetit

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unnatural? One of the main natural rewards is food. Hunting, fishing, farming, etc. are all done for the incentive of food.

That's a means to an end. After you cook dinner you may be treated to a reward called a meal, but that's not a random treat.
To answer your original OP, I don't think food in and of itself, used as a treat will harm the relationship with food, but it is not a healthy practice. Healthy food should served as necessary, never with strings attached, and junk food should be minimized as much as possible. Why use it as a reward if you can use an alternative.
And there are fantastic alternatives.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Exactly. That's a natural relationship. Eating because you are bored, in a car, it's Shabbos afternoon, you sat still are all unnatural.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:09 pm
Nah the anorexia thing got much worse in the "recent" decades and this was a thing in schools before

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 5:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That is a “natural” reward. You went fishing to catch a fish to eat for dinner so you’ll have food to eat. No one came along and said “wow, good job fishing!! Here’s some candy - you earned it!”

Same thing for farming etc.

Offering food as a reward for something else leads to unhealthy relationships with food and also diminishes the natural intrinsic reward they they earned by completing their task.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:23 am
My mom used to use food as a punishment but rarely. Lets say if shed promise us a packet of chips each and on condition we behave a certain way, and one child didnt listen, shed take out 2 chips as a punishment. The child got upset maybe with the fact hat he was punished but he didnt really miss out.

I personally like this idea

Last edited by amother on Wed, Sep 21 2022, 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total

banana123

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 6:27 am
pringles wrote:
My mom used to use food as a punishment but rarely. Lets say if shed promise us a packet of chips each and on condition we behave a certain way, and one child didnt listen, shed take out 2 chips as a punishment. The child got upset maybe with the fact hat he was punished but he didnt really miss out.

I personally like this idea

This and your username. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 7:03 am
banana123 wrote:
This and your username. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My username has something behind it but nothing to do with actual pringles Laugh Laugh

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 9:45 am
I don't think it's so simple. Just in general it's not such a good idea, but sometimes you don't really have a choice. If we were planning an outing to the ice cream shop and some sort of misbehavior occurs, such that I feel the need to cancel the outing, that's technically "punishing with food" but what am I supposed to do, reward bad behavior and go anyway? If a child works toward a major goal and I want to give them a big reward for their efforts, I'm ok with meal at favorite restaurant being one of the options for a reward. But for general stuff, especially things that have no logical connection to food, it's best not to go down that road.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 07 2020, 9:57 am
The problem of using food as a reward is that it elevates certain foods. Meaning you won't give chicken as a reward will you? So you set candy, cake, snacks etc. on a pedestal (when these are already foods that are more attractive to us). And therefore people can end up having a twisted relationship with these kind of foods.
We should be able to see all foods as neutral, and not just feel the need to eat them because of the way we think of them in our minds.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics