Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Make a lightly soiled 50 y.o. Tablecloth w tiny holes usable

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:07 pm
What can I do to make this lightly soiled 50 y.o. Tablecloth with tiny holes, usable?

I know theres a market for antique tablecloths.

Does anyone repair holes?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:11 pm
That is very pretty! I'd dye it a darker color, and then cover it with a plastic cloth to keep it nice looking. You can make it match your dishes, your dining room chairs, your rug, use your imagination!

I looked really close, and I can only see one tiny hole. If you have the table set, I'll bet no one will notice any holes if the cloth is a darker color.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:20 pm
I had some old napkins from my grandmother that were very yellowed and I soaked them in water an oxiclean, and that got rid of the discoloration. It doesn't always work, but it might help.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:22 pm
I can't see pic but maybe you can cut out cloth napkins from part that is not soiled or holed thru or cut into a runner or tablet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:45 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
That is very pretty! I'd dye it a darker color, and then cover it with a plastic cloth to keep it nice looking. You can make it match your dishes, your dining room chairs, your rug, use your imagination!

I looked really close, and I can only see one tiny hole. If you have the table set, I'll bet no one will notice any holes if the cloth is a darker color.

Thanks but if d use it, Id use it for Shabbos and I only use white tablecloths on Shabbos.

My main issue is the 5-6 tiny holes.

Dina2018

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks but if d use it, Id use it for Shabbos and I only use white tablecloths on Shabbos.

My main issue is the 5-6 tiny holes.

I think a seamstress can mend them so that you won‘t be able to see the hole anymore.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:46 pm
I'mma be unpopular over here: dump it. It's stained and has holes. After 50 years, it's served its purpose.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:38 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I'mma be unpopular over here: dump it. It's stained and has holes. After 50 years, it's served its purpose.

Its my mothers, and reminds me of her.

Im sure it has value to those who go for antique linens.

Right now I use the modern faux croc vinyl tablecloths, but I have a love of most other antiques, like furniture and silver, so I cant part with this so easily.

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its my mothers, and reminds me of her.

Im sure it has value to those who go for antique linens.

Right now I use the modern faux croc vinyl tablecloths, but I have a love of most other antiques, like furniture and silver, so I cant part with this so easily.

Turn into pillow covers, a hanging blanket on the wall... You can pinterest

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:10 pm
Frankly I agree with the pp who said chuck it, but I understand your reluctance. For the sentimental value, I’d cut out the center flower medallion only and have it framed under glass and hung on a wall. It looks too fragile to use for any length of time. You could frame the whole thing but a. It would cost a mint and b. You’d need a huge blank wall in a very large room to display it to advantage.

Go to a sewing or craft store and buy both Stitch Witchery material—not tape—and iron-on material for laminating craft projects. With Stitch Witchery, laminate the cloth to a plain backing of contrasting color, and then laminate the top with the craft laminate. You will now have a panel you can wipe off with a damp cloth. This treatment will not preserve the material from further aging, and might even hasten its deterioration due to contact with the adhesives. But hey, it’s 50 years old and hasn’t been taken care of all that well, anyway. It’s worth a try if it means that much to you.

Or you can Google preservation and restoration of antique linens and see what the museum pros have to say.

A good tailor can often reweave fabric almost invisibly. Ask your local dry cleaner . Don’t expect this to come cheap; it’s highly skilled work and more difficult on such thin fabric, esp. since there are no hidden spots like a hem or facing from which to pull threads for the mend.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:49 pm
But before doing anything, you must clean it, if by “lightly soiled” you mean that it was not laundered after the last use or was dropped on a dirty floor, not that it’s been washed and has a few stains. Stains are not soil. Ironing, which the item clearly needs, will cause stains to bloom from any unseen residue in the fabric, such as milk or sugar from a colorless soda.

I suggest dry cleaning if it’s as fragile as it looks. Fibers are more fragile when wet. “Dry” cleaning, which isn’t really dry but uses no water, is less likely to damage the fabric.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:57 am
if you can't part with it, dry clean, and than store it well take it out for yourself or with people that hold your value. Maybe this can become the tablecloth you use to celebrate your birthday, or for your mothers yartzeit. it looks big so unless you have an extra table that size I can't see what to do with it. in place of a doily for a side table?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:02 am
I'd keep it in a drawer before chucking it grrrr people.
We have stuff made in the 20s, my husband's grandparents marriage gifts and stuff. We use what isn't too fragile and keep the rest. It is precious.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:03 am
Maybe use it with a white tablecloth underneath then the holes wont show. And if it has stains put your platters over those spots! That's what I did with a certain tablecloth that had sentimental value.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics