Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Life coach career- where did you train

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 8:36 am
I’m considering training to become a life coach. I’ve been doing this unofficially for friends, family and coworkers for years.
Questions for those in the field:
Where have you trained? Please tell me pros and cons of your programs and if they were beneficial.

Is this field flooded?

Any particular nich you fill? Any particular nich that you know of which is not currently filled.

TIA

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 9:47 am
I trained at NYU. It was an excellent program, though I don't know if they still offer it and the person who I trained with has since passed away.

It depends what area you plan on working in. Corporate coaching can be very lucrative, but not easy to break into.

In regard to personal coaching, there is still a bit of a stigma in some places as people think therapists are better educated and more professional, and people feel more comfortable seeing a therapist. However in reality the approach of most therapists and a coach are very different from one another.

I was lucky because I have other qualifications and although it was not the original plan I ended up coaching a great deal in a particular niche related to those qualifications.

There is a demand for career coaching, and academic coaching, (I.e. getting people into colleges). Though some of that is more advising than coaching.

Hope this helps.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 31 2019, 10:17 am
Thank you bisque for responding. I have lots of personal experience and (untrained) skills as a general life coach... problem solving, communication, organization and time management, chinuch, mental and emotional health, reaching goals etc.

I wonder if I can make a go of that?
I’m looking fir a good training program. Willing to put in time and money.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 1:54 pm
Bump not op

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:10 pm
I also trained at NYU, and it was an excellent program, and she was an excellent trainer and a wonderful mentor, who sadly passed away. It was a second career for me. When I returned to work I wanted to do something that helped people and it was good to be older rather than younger. I combined it with another qualification that has allowed me to specialize a bit more.

As Bisque wrote, corporate coaching is more respected, while sadly personal coaches are often mistakenly looked down upon as therapist without degrees. This is very far from the truth. The methodology is very different and coaching can be far more successful in solving certain every day issues and conflicts.

Unfortunately there is a lot of not great training out there which gives well trained professional coaches a bad rap. So where you train is important. I know that there is a program called Darco that is run by an NYU trained coach. It might pay to look into that.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you bisque for responding. I have lots of personal experience and (untrained) skills as a general life coach... problem solving, communication, organization and time management, chinuch, mental and emotional health, reaching goals etc.

I wonder if I can make a go of that?
I’m looking fir a good training program. Willing to put in time and money.

Coaches are not qualified to deal with mental health. They are great for helping people accomplish goals and improve performance.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m considering training to become a life coach. I’ve been doing this unofficially for friends, family and coworkers for years.
Questions for those in the field:
Where have you trained? Please tell me pros and cons of your programs and if they were beneficial.

Is this field flooded?

Any particular nich you fill? Any particular nich that you know of which is not currently filled.

TIA

Niche

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:21 pm
I took several courses, including one online course from a non-Jewish coaching school based in Florida. The content was okay, but the best part about it was that every student was required to coach and be coached during class time several times throughout the course. Whenever a student coached, she was then critiqued by the instructor. (Up to 12 students per class to make this doable). I think we had 2- or 3-hour classes (with a break in between), and half of that time was devoted to either listening to classmates coach/get coached, or doing it yourself. For some reason, I didn't find this to be part of the training in most Jewish courses, and I think it's a very important piece, both to get a level of comfort and because you improve as you practice.
I also trained with Rabbi Daniel Schonbuch (see https://www.torahpsychology.org/ for info) and I know that Rivka Malka Perlman will be starting a coaching course soon. There's also Refuah, based in Israel, as well as Infiniti Coach Training by Chaya Abelsky. Prices vary and you'll want to check out each one to make sure you're happy with the instructor's style and with the content.
Just so you know, it can be hard to break into the field. It definitely helps if you do sth related that gives you exposure.
I agree with the poster who said that coaches are not qualified to deal with mental health, and don't think any coach should address things like depression, etc. However, there's still lots we can do. I specialize in relationships and marriage, have training in John Gottman's work, and do coaching both in person and over the phone. A recent client told me during our first session that she's seen several therapists and none were as helpful. Obviously, there are awesome therapists and awesome coaches, and I think there's room for both, as long as coaches understand the limitations of their training and don't overstep to areas beyond their expertise.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:52 pm
Here's why I'm interested:

I have a masters in education
I am super analytical and can easily figure out flaws and how to fix them
I like helping people
I lead students to the answer instead of doing the work for them.
I am charismatic, personable, convincing, and inspiring (as a teacher. But I'm not made for all that prep. I would love to be like a speaker)

Is this a good fit for me? But I'm not in my 40s. Am I believable if I'm young?

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 6:54 am
I would never see a life coach for anything related to mental health, marriage counseling etc. life coaching is an unregulated field and my 6 year old can legally call himself a life coach. That term means nothing legally (unlike calling yourself a psychologist, marriage and family therapist etc which are protected terms and without the degree and license you cannot use those terms in the USA). You also aren't bound the same way as licensed individuals are to a code of ethics, laws like confidentiality etc- there is no license to revoke if you break it so there are no tangible consequences. There are no educational requirements either.

Go for a real degree in therapy, mental health etc.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:34 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I would never see a life coach for anything related to mental health, marriage counseling etc. life coaching is an unregulated field and my 6 year old can legally call himself a life coach. That term means nothing legally (unlike calling yourself a psychologist, marriage and family therapist etc which are protected terms and without the degree and license you cannot use those terms in the USA). You also aren't bound the same way as licensed individuals are to a code of ethics, laws like confidentiality etc- there is no license to revoke if you break it so there are no tangible consequences. There are no educational requirements either.

Go for a real degree in therapy, mental health etc.

This. Anyone can take an internet course and then hang a shingle. But I will say this. There are those, like the NYU program graduates above, who have a recognized credential because they have NYU behind them. Thats a different story. The most common “coaches” have made up credentials. Like no the "diet coach", a "parenting coach", a "divorce coach" and of course "life coach" (why is that even a thing!) or even a "nutritionist" (also an unregulated and unprotected title).

The NYU certification is not the same as taking a class by "Rebbitzen Soandso" who has a large following and decided to open her "life coaching school", charge $4500 for a course, print up her own certificates, and start accepting students. I am thinking of two women specifically who did this. In my opinion, they are no better than a charlatan who is profiteering from gullible women. Its the strangest thing. No where on her "school" website does she list her own credentials, what makes her capable of teaching this "course", where she herself was "certified", etc. And people pay her.

Please OP and anyone else thinking about doing this. Pursue the NYU type of course if you really want to do this.

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited by watergirl on Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:41 am
If you have the time and money go for a real degree and not just a certificate .
I personally would not trust a life coach for anything more than helping me organize my house or arrange my babies schedule.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:29 am
I have a master’s degree in mental health counseling. Do not run to spend your money on another master’s. The counseling field is not a money making field. Not a great investment. Of course there are exceptions and if you create a name for yourself you can make money but quite a risk to invest in a second master’s and have student loans.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics