Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Want to buy a real 9x13
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:36 pm
I wouldn't use Pyrex or glass for a heavy duty roasting pan.

Glass isn't particularly good for baking either because you need the shiny metal sides to get the right crusts for baked products.

Are you interested in a 9" x 13" pan or a real roasting pan. I ask because I have both as well as several half sheet pans which are extremely functional.

For any kind of serious roasting of meats or chickens, nothing beats a good metal large roasting pan. It has heavy duty handles on either hand so it is easy to transport. Generally they also come with very good racks which is important for roasting.

As others have posted, All Clad makes great roasting pans. I have a Calphalon Anodized Aluminum roasting pan which I like very much. It is extremely durable but a bit more light weight than the All Clad roasters which is important to me. It cleans up very well but I generally line with heavy duty tin foil when I am roasting meats anyway. You can't put anodized aluminum in the dishwasher but that isn't an issue for me because I don't use a dishwasher for my roasting pans anyway.

I have a fairly standard 9" x 13" pan which I use principally for baking - it's the standard size for most brownies and sheet cakes. Most baking recipes don't advise baking in glass or Pyrex because the crust doesn't form properly. However, if you do, you are supposed to adjust the oven temperature.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:20 pm
Maybe both? Thinking about it I'd love a 9x13 for cakes and also a bigger roasting pan.

asweet

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:22 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Pyrex exploded on me twice. Will never use again.

Sorry I need a tutorial on how to post links here. Then I can link you. I tried but guess I’m not so tech savvy.

How did the Pyrex explode? As I just wanted to invest in a Pyrex instead of using disposable pans.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:30 pm
One of mine cracked when dropped. The other was in the oven and randomly shattered into millions of pieces.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:40 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Maybe both? Thinking about it I'd love a 9x13 for cakes and also a bigger roasting pan.

Both would be ideal as they have different functions. You don’t need a uber expensive 9” x 13” pan for baking. Mine are just solid aluminum and have lasted for years.

A heavy duty large roasting pan is a great cooking tool. These are more expensive because you want a high quality with riveted large handles. You want to be able to use the handles safely with bulky mitts and you don’t want them to fall off.

A Dutch oven is too small for true roasting because roasting needs air circulating. A Dutch oven is ideal for braising where you want a long braise in a moist atmosphere.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:00 pm
Is there a place I could order a toiveled one?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:16 pm
asweet wrote:
How did the Pyrex explode? As I just wanted to invest in a Pyrex instead of using disposable pans.

So one was my mom’s fault. She removed the pie I baked in the Pyrex and put it on the stove top, not knowing I had used the burner recently and the top was still hot. (Still, can’t imagine it was any hotter than inside of oven so it surprised me). Glass flew like bullets everywhere. The other time I simply took Pyrex with chicken out of the oven and placed it on a trivet and the whole thing just shattered the minute it touched the counter, my hands still on it. It was so weird.

nylon

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:19 pm
I also had Pyrex explode on the stove top by accidentally turning on a burner.

I like metal (plain stainless steel) for meats. Hot water and Dawn removes everything. I have a big and a small pan. Also with metal, you can use it on the stove top if you dry roast something and want to deglaze.

For vegetables and kugels I use nonstick as it's easier to remove a whole kugel that way.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:27 pm
That's the thing with Pyrex - it is less breakable than regular glass, but when it breaks it explodes into hundreds of little pieces!

You have to be mindful not to do anything that will create thermal shock.
I was once horrified to open my oven to sight of my deliciously done roast sitting directly on the oven rack... with shards of my corningware roasting pan protruding from it in all directions, and the remaining debris collected on the oven floor.
I think it may have shattered after pouring some cool cooking liquid into the pan mid bake.
Also, if you have an item that can let out juice during the baking, it needs a little bit of water in the pan from the outset, so that the liquid doesn't create thermal shock.

I use quite a few pyrex-like utensils, but if I ever see a little chip that could compromise its breakability, it goes right into the garbage.

Now I'm thinking metal may be less stressful!!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:33 pm
When I got married someone gave us a beautiful red and white glass salad bowl. One day I absent mindedly stuck it on my stove to that I'd just turned on. It shattered everywhere pieces dramatically flying all over the place.

Since I had kids I don't use glass At all.

Can people link to pans they use

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:43 pm
I shattered two Pyrex pans and I've only been married three years. I was always pretty careful to let it cool slowly but I guess not careful enough. One shattered in the oven while making potato kugel and one, interestingly, didn't fully shatter but the inside of the glass got a big web of cracks that you couldn't feel from the outside

Chickpea

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:46 pm
ectomorph wrote:
When I got married someone gave us a beautiful red and white glass salad bowl. One day I absent mindedly stuck it on my stove to that I'd just turned on. It shattered everywhere pieces dramatically flying all over the place.

Since I had kids I don't use glass At all.

Can people link to pans they use

I use an old fashioned graniteware roasting pan. I like it because roasts and chicken brown better in it than in pyrex. I line it with either aluminum foil or parchment paper, depending on what I'm making. It makes cleanup relatively easy.

http://graniteware.com/product.....-pan/

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:48 pm
I don't have this one but I have other sizes from this company and I love them! https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-.....r=8-8

asweet

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:12 pm
What is a good pan for potato kuge?

I've been using disposable but want to change, it needs to be dishwasher safe!

Chickpea

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:27 pm
asweet wrote:
What is a good pan for potato kuge?

I've been using disposable but want to change, it needs to be dishwasher safe!

Pyrex. I can see how it's browning on the bottom and sides.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:54 pm
I bought a Pyrex-like 9 x 13 glass baking pan for potato kugel in Amazing Savings. The kugel comes out deliciously crispy. I've been using it for over a year now.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:55 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I don't have this one but I have other sizes from this company and I love them! https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-.....r=8-8

This is made of aluminum. If I were buying real pans to replace disposables, I'd avoid aluminum.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:08 pm
Chickpea wrote:
Pyrex. I can see how it's browning on the bottom and sides.

Yep I use my pyrex for kugel,
But not recommended to heat the oil in the pan first and then add the kugel mixture (as many recipes say to do) - I just put a little room temp oil in, and then I add my mixture. I think that still gives it a decent crust - even though it's not been heated.
(I heat the rest of the oil for the recipe in a different pan in the oven, and add it to the kugel mixture, but by the time it's all mixed up the mixture is just a lukewarm temp).

Chickpea

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:41 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Yep I use my pyrex for kugel,
But not recommended to heat the oil in the pan first and then add the kugel mixture (as many recipes say to do) - I just put a little room temp oil in, and then I add my mixture. I think that still gives it a decent crust - even though it's not been heated.
(I heat the rest of the oil for the recipe in a different pan in the oven, and add it to the kugel mixture, but by the time it's all mixed up the mixture is just a lukewarm temp).

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Miri1

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:18 am
I've bought some stainless sheet pans and a small kugel pan on Amazon, but in retrospect I think it makes sense to spend the money on a respected brand so you know you're getting something good...I sometimes wonder if they're really made from stainless like they say they are.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen