Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Having baby at 42 - what baby gear must I buy?
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 8:41 am
Not 42 but I just had a baby with a big gap and got rid of a lot of stuff that we're not in good condition anymore or took up too much space. For whatever reasons probably my last one so I didn't want to spend money. I had a car seat from my friend I did have a swing still. I wanted the Rock and play so I found one to borrow. Skiped the ExerSaucer this time around didn't even miss it. A play mat you need but really that can wait . I getting so many hand me down I really don't buy much clothes. I was the first time Mom I needed every baby item and everything had to math and be super cute. But my big kids need things and my baby could care less so my priorities changed.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:12 am
This swaddle is a must to have it helps them sleep much much better
https://www.halosleep.com/our-.....ddle/

krembo

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 10:27 am
I find that the younger babies need less stuff because their older siblings keep them busy and want to hold them or play with them all the time.

Agree with the poster who said you should think about keeping baby stuff for grandchildren IYH.

So excited for you! Feel good!

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
This swaddle is a must to have it helps them sleep much much better
https://www.halosleep.com/our-.....ddle/

Swaddles give us both sleep! I love them!
I have a few brands. One is like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Summer-.....JDLVU

That, a pnp, nursing cover like balboa baby(if you will nurse), carseat and snap n go are what I consider essential. Bsha tova!!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:15 am
queen wrote:
Having baby at 42.

This is not my first. There's a huge gap since my other kids were born and we don't own much baby gear anymore. Also don't want to buy more than I really need.

Trying to figure out which baby items are worthwhile investing in -- keeping in mind that most likely items will only be used for 1 child, so prefer to only purchase the IMPORTANT items.

I'm thinking to purchase these items:
car seat, stroller, high chair, baby monitor.

Am I missing anything important?

B’shaa Tovah.

Car seat is the one must. Most other things are based on you and your preferences.

I wouldn’t be able to live without a sling or other baby carrier. Especially with other kids to run after. I had cheaper strollers because I didn’t use them as much. It will also depend on car use vs public transit vs walking. YMMV.

Wait on the high chair. It will be months before you need it, and you may be able to borrow one. Or be gifted with one.

I’d borrow a bassinet or cosleeper, to keep baby with you. It will be easier for you, and keep your others, who aren’t used to babies, from bothering her when she’s asleep.

You’re going to need a baby yard (gated area for baby) when baby becomes mobile. Your older kids almost certainly have toys with small parts that you need to keep away from baby. Giving each a nice defined area will make life easier.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:27 am
Look into the nuna leaf. It’s an expensive bouncer but it grows with your child and probably can accommodate your other children and any slight adults in your household as well. It has a 130 lb weight limit. So kids can sit, read, watch tv or chill in it.

I have one in my office and my toddler loves hanging out in here with my when he reads.

I also love using it 🙄. It’s very comfortable.

Edit: FYI it’s heavy so it’s not a bouncer that you move from room to room throughout the day.

ila

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 11:41 am
A nursing pillow if you are planning to nurse

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:39 pm
I had a baby at 43, almost 44. 7 years after my last where I gave almost everything away. My oldest is a girl, aged 17 at the time so I took that into consideration. I borrowed a lot, especially items that are only used for a few months. I'm keeping clothes bought first or secondhand that I like a lot for future grandkids BEH. I bought a secondhand stroller and crib, highchair I received as a gift, bought new carseat. Baby didn't even like the bouncy seat and swing we borrowed so good I didn't buy them. Baby didn't love a few carriers I tried either so maybe borrow to see what baby will like. Borrowed nursing pillows.

Bought new bottles, brush and pacifiers. Simple stroller diaper bag and holder. People are always giving away clothes and it's so helpful but I couldn't help buying the baby a lot of new clothes, especially items I'd love to see grandkids in Smile

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:50 pm
queen wrote:
Having baby at 42.

This is not my first. There's a huge gap since my other kids were born and we don't own much baby gear anymore. Also don't want to buy more than I really need.

Trying to figure out which baby items are worthwhile investing in -- keeping in mind that most likely items will only be used for 1 child, so prefer to only purchase the IMPORTANT items.

I'm thinking to purchase these items:
car seat, stroller, high chair, baby monitor.

Am I missing anything important?

Crib, car seat (new), stroller (can be 2nd hand), and at about 6 months a "high chair" that can be strapped onto a regular chair.

Baby monitor is not a basic necessity, neither are mobiles, baby swings, or bouncers.

See what you can get second-hand.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 4:44 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Look into the nuna leaf. It’s an expensive bouncer but it grows with your child and probably can accommodate your other children and any slight adults in your household as well. It has a 130 lb weight limit. So kids can sit, read, watch tv or chill in it.

I have one in my office and my toddler loves hanging out in here with my when he reads.

I also love using it 🙄. It’s very comfortable.

Edit: FYI it’s heavy so it’s not a bouncer that you move from room to room throughout the day.

Lol. The leaf is the prime example of an extra!

Just One

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:33 pm
Highchair you can get from IKEA for $25

asweet

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 7:45 pm
Just wanted to add that my babies love the swing, I have a fisher price it rocks side by side, it's very comfy my newborn always sleeps in it. A total life saver it rocks my baby to sleep alot.

Also as you have older kids try to have new up to date stretchies for the baby as they will want to show off to friends...

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 4:54 pm
I think I know you, Queen!
If I do, your across the street neighbor (me) has a mamaroo and Nuna baby Swing/seat you can borrow. Currently your next door neighbor is using them, but her baby girl is already six months old and probably won’t need them much longer.
If this is you, text me! Smile

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 5:07 pm
Foldable booster seat instead of high chair.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:35 pm
Just had a baby @ 43 and these are my must haves:

*Carseat and stroller base (depending on your budget, you can go for the doona....)

*I don't know what it's called, but it's some kind of contraption that you put into a sink so you can bathe the baby hands free.

*I bought a used wind up swing on ebay so I can use it on Shabbos too

*Baby sleeps in this old large carriage buggy that comes with a mattress so baby goes where I go 'round the house

*Diaper bag, (a fashionable one so I feel more confident around to the young ones....)

*Tons of diaper cloths for burping and wiping spit ups, and all the regular baby supplies like baby wash and lotion, pampers, wipes, bottles, pacis, paci clip, alcohol pads for 1st week cord care, baby wear, bibs, cotton bonnet for after baths, hooded towel, onesies (I prefer the long sleeve ones), cozy blanket and seasonal outerwear.

sweet

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 12:29 am
I can't handle big baby stuff laying around. Or is it just me?
The only baby items I own are a Doona and a rock n play.
I do have baby toys.. I find less is more.
Baby Co sleeps with me. I do have a bumbo seat from my other children that I found very useful and my babies always loved it.

*edited to correct typo.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics