Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How to handle situation with neighbors

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:32 am
We live in a 2 family house and if there's yelling or singing upstairs, we hear every word. My neighbors have a young teen that's having a hard time and gets home in the late night/early morning hours & there's loud shouting and arguments going on on a nightly basis. We get woken up by their shouting and we hear every word. Things we are not supposed to be hearing. There's also lots of banging going on. What are we supposed to do?? I don't want to cause any embarrassment to them but they should know that we're all being woken by the noise and that we can hear everything. I've texted in middle of the night that it's noisy if they can please quiet down, it helps for afew minutes. How should we handle this???
(We're desperately looking to move, so far we're not finding anything. Need advice for the meantime.)

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live in a 2 family house and if there's yelling or singing upstairs, we hear every word. My neighbors have a young teen that's having a hard time and gets home in the late night/early morning hours & there's loud shouting and arguments going on on a nightly basis. We get woken up by their shouting and we hear every word. Things we are not supposed to be hearing. There's also lots of banging going on. What are we supposed to do?? I don't want to cause any embarrassment to them but they should know that we're all being woken by the noise and that we can hear everything. I've texted in middle of the night that it's noisy if they can please quiet down, it helps for afew minutes. How should we handle this???
(We're desperately looking to move, so far we're not finding anything. Need advice for the meantime.)

Have you tried sound machines? They may help for the short term.

Stars

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:35 am
Get noise machines and keep looking for an apartment. You won't change them. It's very distressing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:45 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

We have a noise machine in every room! It doesn't drown out banging and shouting. The kids wake up and at first they nebach thought DH & me are fighting. Sad
We're desperately searching for an apartment but rental prices went up drastically our area and we're still paying the old cheap price. I guess we'll have to find a way to come up with several $100 more each month.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:48 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

That’s not a solution because if they’re not made to understand that they can be heard, then the next neighbors will hear them. I’m sure they don’t want everyone hearing it all and knowing their business.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
That’s not a solution because if they’re not made to understand that they can be heard, then the next neighbors will hear them. I’m sure they don’t want everyone hearing it all and knowing their business.

OP already said that they have been made aware, and that hasn’t changed things. Some people just won’t change, so you need to do what you can to make a situation work for you until you can change it.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:01 pm
Have you been using earplugs? They won't eliminate that level of noise but they will damp it down a bit for you.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have a noise machine in every room! It doesn't drown out banging and shouting. The kids wake up and at first they nebach thought DH & me are fighting. Sad
We're desperately searching for an apartment but rental prices went up drastically our area and we're still paying the old cheap price. I guess we'll have to find a way to come up with several $100 more each month.

Tell your landlord.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:18 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Have you been using earplugs? They won't eliminate that level of noise but they will damp it down a bit for you.

I cannot wear earplugs, I have to be able to hear baby and kids and whats going on in the house. Everyone wakes up, not just me.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Tell your landlord.

We told him, he said there's nothing he can do about it.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:38 pm
Theres a fan called a wind machine, avail on Amazon. It's pretty good at blocking out sound. Maybe keep some in the hallways? Yiu can keep a baby monitor on in your room if you think you wont hear the kids.

Hatzlacha and hope it resolves soon

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I cannot wear earplugs, I have to be able to hear baby and kids and whats going on in the house. Everyone wakes up, not just me.

Sounds like you need to find a way to move as soon as possible. .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette