Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
4 year old playing strangely- what do you think?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:20 pm
In the past month or two I've noticed that when my daughter has a friend over for a play-date she has a strange game that she likes to play. Its worrying me.

She says "Lets play house"- and then brings her friend to her bed or her sister's toddler bed. She cuddles under the blanket with friend in various positions such as lying next to each other (too close for my comfort), friend lying on her stomach, friend lying on her back on top of my daughter. She gets quiet and a little whispery but wouldn't try to hide anything that she was doing.

In general she is a very touchy kid- she loves to cuddle and get and give hugs. I spoke to her generally in a casual way that we don't ever take off or pick up clothing when we're playing. (As I'm writing this I'm realizing that picking up clothes is not really the issue that she's doing.)

Today we had a neighbor (a bit younger than her) over and throughout the afternoon my I kept finding her hiding, in the crib, in the closet, piling cushions behind the couch- cuddling in these strange positions- saying- "I'm the Mommy, she's the baby and she's in my stomach. (picking up her shirt)" I'm the baby and they're doing a bris on me." "We're going to sleep, this is my crib. (it was the closet)"

I'm thinking that it might be some kind of sensory thing or maybe some kind of exploring, or maybe (mother's worryful imagination) enacting some kind of molestation that happened to her (I do not know when or how that could've happened).

I'm thinking of approaching the pediatrician to talk about this.
Have you ever seen kids play like this? What do you think this might be coming from? Is this developmentally appropriate?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In the past month or two I've noticed that when my daughter has a friend over for a play-date she has a strange game that she likes to play. Its worrying me.

She says "Lets play house"- and then brings her friend to her bed or her sister's toddler bed. She cuddles under the blanket with friend in various positions such as lying next to each other (too close for my comfort), friend lying on her stomach, friend lying on her back on top of my daughter. She gets quiet and a little whispery but wouldn't try to hide anything that she was doing.

In general she is a very touchy kid- she loves to cuddle and get and give hugs. I spoke to her generally in a casual way that we don't ever take off or pick up clothing when we're playing. (As I'm writing this I'm realizing that picking up clothes is not really the issue that she's doing.)

Today we had a neighbor (a bit younger than her) over and throughout the afternoon my I kept finding her hiding, in the crib, in the closet, piling cushions behind the couch- cuddling in these strange positions- saying- "I'm the Mommy, she's the baby and she's in my stomach. (picking up her shirt)" I'm the baby and they're doing a bris on me." "We're going to sleep, this is my crib. (it was the closet)"

I'm thinking that it might be some kind of sensory thing or maybe some kind of exploring, or maybe (mother's worryful imagination) enacting some kind of molestation that happened to her (I do not know when or how that could've happened).

I'm thinking of approaching the pediatrician to talk about this.
Have you ever seen kids play like this? What do you think this might be coming from? Is this developmentally appropriate?

Is she mimicking what she see's you doing?
When kids play house, they generally mimic what they see is done at home.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:24 pm
If you know that she's sensory, that could explain it. In general, when kids are sensory it comes out pretty strongly in their play.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Is she mimicking what she see's you doing?
When kids play house, they generally mimic what they see is done at home.

I'm not pregnant or nursing if that's what you mean. Though we did go to a bris recently.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not pregnant or nursing if that's what you mean. Though we did go to a bris recently.

Perhaps she remembers you nursing her or she see's nursing mommy's. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it unless she's doing something inappropriate or you know for sure that she has sensory issue. If she has sensory issue, maybe have her evaluated.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:35 pm
My two year old came home from playgroup “nursing” her baby!

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:49 pm
It's not appropriate but it doesn't seem like any kind of red flag to me, especially since you say this child generally loves to cuddle and be physical. However you need to teach her, right now, solid rules for appropriate play. Among them, no closets and no beds/blankets (some kids can have great blanket tents but with this kid it feels clearer to just stay away.) And make sure she has plenty of dolls so the doll can be the baby in mommy's tummy/getting a bris and both kids can be mommies.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:51 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My two year old came home from playgroup “nursing” her baby!

All kids do this, very normal!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers