Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Challah cover if keeping challah on heat to stay warm

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:40 pm
Hi, I try to keep the challahs on the heating source for as long as possible and not take them off the heating source until we're ready to do hamotzei and eat them. So, they're not on the table during kiddush. Nothing is behind this (halacha that I've been told, custom, etc.) other than keeping the challah warm.

Prior to the hamotzei (when guests are coming in, during kiddush, etc.), the challah cover is basically sitting on the table covering our cutting board. Then we bring out the bread when it's time for hamotzei and eat it. So the challah cover doesn't really have any function and isn't really being used.

Is this goofy / weird?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:42 pm
We also keep the challah heating up until the last possible minute but it has to be on the table for kiddush. It is just as warm after we wash.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:44 pm
Since you mention Halacha, it is brought down that lechem mishna should be on the table when you say kiddush

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:45 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
We also keep the challah heating up until the last possible minute but it has to be on the table for kiddush. It is just as warm after we wash.

Not asking for rabbinic advice, but my understanding is that this isn't universally accepted halacha. I thought there are various halachic opinions and customs on whether it has to be on the table for kiddush. Am I wrong here?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:45 pm
The reason the challos need to be covered for kiddush is because hamotzei is before hagafen. If the challos are not on the table for kiddush, there's no need for a challa cover.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not asking for rabbinic advice, but my understanding is that this isn't universally accepted halacha. I thought there are various halachic opinions and customs on whether it has to be on the table for kiddush. Am I wrong here?

Lechem mishna is supposed to be on the table for kiddush. I don't know if it's halacha or a strong minhag.
The challos stay warm even if you put it on the table for kiddush.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
If the challos are not on the table for kiddush, there's no need for a challa cover.

Yeah, I get that the challah cover serves no halachic function if the challahs aren't on the table during kiddush. Is it weird to have a challah cover on the table covering a cutting board? We have a nice challah cover and I like the look of it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, I get that the challah cover serves no halachic function if the challahs aren't on the table during kiddush. Is it weird to have a challah cover on the table covering a cutting board? We have a nice challah cover and I like the look of it.

I don't think it's weird and I don't think people think so much into it when they see it.

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:38 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I don't think it's weird and I don't think people think so much into it when they see it.

This.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I keep my challah cover over the challah tray on the table the entire shabbos. To me that's part of the "look' of shabbos.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

To me it would look like the table wasn't finished being set. And if I can't, I might ask about the "missing" challah

salt

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:54 am
We do the same as OP, and my DH even found a source for davka not having the challot on the table for kiddush.
Minhag haGra not to have challot on the table for kiddush (maybe he also liked warm challot Smile )

הנחת החלות על השלחן בעת הקידוש

האם יש חיוב שהחלות יהיו מונחות על השלחן בזמן הקידוש? ואם אכן יש חיוב, האם צריכות הן להיות דווקא אותן החלות שעליהם בוצעים בסעודה?

מעיקר הדין אין חיוב כלל שיהיו חלות על השולחן בשעת הקידוש, וכך נהג הגר"א (מעשה רב אות קי"ח), ומשמע שבזמן הגמרא לא היו החלות על השולחן (סימן רע"א ס"ט בבית יוסף ובשער הציון שם אות מ"ח) ובודאי שאין צריך שיהיו אלה החלות שבוצעים עליהם אלא יכולים להחליף את החלות אחר הקידוש ויחזור ויכסם. (כגון כשרוצה לחמם מעט את החלות על סירים שע"ג הפלטה)

והנה, אם היו החלות על השולחן בעת הקידוש, די במה שהיו מכוסות בזמן הקידוש (שם ס"ק מ"א במשנ"ב), אבל אם הביאם רק אחר הקידוש צריך לכסותם אז כדי לצאת את הטעם שהכיסוי הוא זכר למן שהיה מכוסה בטל מלמטה ומלמעלה. מיהו המנהג המקובל שיהיו חלות על השולחן בעת הקידוש, וטוב שיהיו כבר בבואו מבהכנ"ס. (עי' שו"ת מנחת יצחק ח"ג סימן י"ג אות י').

salt

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:56 am
Off topic a bit, but I wanted to run through google translate to add a translation of what I just quoted, to save myself from having to translate it myself, and the result was hysterical: LOL

Laying on the table when consecrated

Is there a charge that the ailments will be placed on the table at the time of consecration? And if there is a charge, should they be the ones that apply to dinner?

In principle, there is no charge whatsoever to apply to the table at the time of consecration, and so did the GRA (act of great omnipotence), meaning that in the time of the Gemara they did not apply to the table and certainly should not be applied to them but can replace the application after the consecration and return And will. (Such as when you want to slightly heat the braces on braces)

And, if they were applied to the table at the time of consecration, what was covered during the consecration was enough, but if they only brought after the consecration they should be covered so as to leave out the taste that the cover is reminiscent of a lid covered with bottom and top. Who is the customary practice to apply to the table at the time of consecration, and it is good to have it already from the High Court.

acemom

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:43 pm
salt wrote:
Off topic a bit, but I wanted to run through google translate to add a translation of what I just quoted, to save myself from having to translate it myself, and the result was hysterical: LOL

Laying on the table when consecrated

Is there a charge that the ailments will be placed on the table at the time of consecration? And if there is a charge, should they be the ones that apply to dinner?

In principle, there is no charge whatsoever to apply to the table at the time of consecration, and so did the GRA (act of great omnipotence), meaning that in the time of the Gemara they did not apply to the table and certainly should not be applied to them but can replace the application after the consecration and return And will. (Such as when you want to slightly heat the braces on braces)

And, if they were applied to the table at the time of consecration, what was covered during the consecration was enough, but if they only brought after the consecration they should be covered so as to leave out the taste that the cover is reminiscent of a lid covered with bottom and top. Who is the customary practice to apply to the table at the time of consecration, and it is good to have it already from the High Court.

This is histerically confusing.... Laugh LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette