Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Lily
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:02 pm
I know it's old fashioned but I still like it. Also I know it's not a Hebrew name, although a few people of my grandmother's age were named this. I know it's dated. As far as I know it simply means the flower. Yes it's simple, but ine Lily I knew was extremely good and kind and also a strong woman.
What do you think?

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:07 pm
My 6 year old daughter has a Lily in her class.

West End Tova

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:15 pm
I personally think Lily is a beautiful name. Beshaah Tovah.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:16 pm
In our family, Leah's are called Lilly.
You want to name a child just Lilly without a Hebrew name?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:21 pm
It’s not dated, it’s super trendy. I know soooo many Lily’s. It’s a beautiful name but I personally find it hard to pronounce.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
In our family, Leah's are called Lilly.
You want to name a child just Lilly without a Hebrew name?

I never realised until now that Lily goes with Leah as a Hebrew name. Thanks.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:38 pm
My neice is Rochel and her legal name is Lilly. It can be for anything.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:44 pm
My aunt was Leah, nickname/ legal name Lilly. Love the name:)

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:45 pm
my step sisters name is lilly and my good friends name is lilly and a bunch of ppl I know are lilly or lillian

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:49 pm
It's a beautiful name. And very, very common at least in American society.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:50 pm
not familiar with this name for young people. I picture someone a bit geriatric using this name so I do not like this name for a little baby. (aside for the fact that I do not like English names)

nchr

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:08 pm
There are many young girls with the name Lily, although probably as a nickname for Liliana. I remember learning that shoshana is a lily (and not a rose as commonly misunderstood but I'd recommend verifying this).

turca

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:46 pm
Not dated at all. It’s a classic name.
I know someone whose name is shoshana and she is called lily.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:56 pm
It sounds too close to the the name "lillith" Not good name. Know a few women named lillian which is very similar and unfortunately, many are divorced.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:13 pm
Yes, to me Lily is beautiful on its own, however the problem with cute and sweet, short names is that they could come across as being nicknames. Nicknames are lovely but maybe at some point in a woman's life she might wish she had a more formal/professional name to adopt at certain times. I suppose Liliana could be a "formal" name for Lily. I feel like a formal version should be there on the table for the child, just as an option. It's easy to adopt a nickname but it's harder to create a new formal name.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 10:22 pm
We also have a Lily in our family whose Hebrew name is Leah. Fyi, many commentaries on Shir HaShirim hold that Shoshana actually means lily.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:10 pm
Was Shoshana not a woman of the Bible? I thought Shoshana was a biblical name for some reason. Maybe I am wrong and it is a flower name.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:28 pm
I have a great aunt named Lily. We call her Lily-neni (aunt in Hungarian), so I understand why you would think it's an old fashioned name. However I also have daughters in preschool, elementary school, and middle school and they each have a couple of Lily's or Lilly's in their grades so it must be trendy too.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:18 am
I have a toddler granddaughter Lili. Her Jewish name is Liba. She is adorable and the name really suits her!

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:23 am
I love the name.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names