Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Is it appropriate?
Previous  1  2

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:40 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
I have shown my kids the sonograms of themselves years later and I would love to show my kids my sonogram now when I let them know I'm expecting-except I'm pregnant with twins and I DONT want them to know! O well.....

Oh wow!!! You’re so lucky!!!!!!!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 6:58 pm
bsy wrote:
My mother put her sonogram pictures in the family albums. Yeshivish family if that matters....I never thought to think it's weird or inappropriate.

That’s adorable.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:28 pm
Of course its appropriate to show your child a sonogram picture. What in the world would be innappropriate about it?
Yeshivish but totally not getting the issue...

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 8:35 pm
My mother showed us her sonogram pics I didn't think it was inappropriate but it opened up a conversation with the boys (before bar mitzvah) about how the baby gets in there so if your showing it to kids who dont know about that, then you just have to be ready for it

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:06 pm
I shared my sonogram pics with my kids and also with our family WhatsApp groups. I see nothing inappropriate at all. My mother was so appreciative.

malki2

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:18 pm
Could SOMEONE explain this please?? I would love to know what people think the issue is. Maybe OP because you posted this in the first place.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:20 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
My mother showed us her sonogram pics I didn't think it was inappropriate but it opened up a conversation with the boys (before bar mitzvah) about how the baby gets in there so if your showing it to kids who dont know about that, then you just have to be ready for it

The simplest true answer is that it grows in there from an egg.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:28 pm
I show my kids, teens and younger ones, and they love it.

I think the ones that said inappropriate is bc they are the type NOT to discuss pregnancy at all with their kids.

Most kids know or ask questions anyway. It's so much easier on the mom when she is open about it, rather than when she thinks she is 'protecting her kids' and has to cover up.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Why? I'm just curious because my mom had twins when I was about 12-13. It turned over my life for weeks if not years. She kept it a secret from everyone and I can't figure out why.

Interesting. I had twins without knowing about it until the birth, and I thought my older kids would be shocked/stunned/upset that the one baby I told them about was now two.

They totally took it in stride, although they were younger than you.

(Now all my kids want me to have twins again!)

To answer the original question, if they can know you are pregnant, I don't see why they can't see the ultrasound pictures. I personally don't do routine ultrasounds, and we specifically don't find out the gender, so I guess that might be a reason? But I can't see anything inherently untznius about an ultrasound image. (Unless maybe it was transvaginal and you're explaining how it's done?)

malki2

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:23 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

I don’t understand. When your belly gets huge, will your kids not realize that there’s a baby in there anyway? Haven’t they seen a pregnant woman before? What exactly do they learn from the ultrasound that they don’t know already? Do people teach their kids that they are delivered by stork??

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:52 pm
Ofcoarse I show it, my kids like to know details of every ultrasound, for whatever reason they are interested in the fetal weight as well.
But from another recent thread I was told its inappropriate to even tell young ones that im pregnant. My youngest is 6 and they know every detail and love to feel baby kicks.
I love sharing these exciting moments with my kids but to some its taboo. To each its own.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:40 pm
Of course I share it. I put it on the fridge Smile and I’ve always told them it grows from an egg in the mother’s body

salt

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:39 pm
The only reason I can think of that it may be inappropriate to show people (either your kids or anyone else) your sonnogram is from the saying:
אין הברכה מצויה אלא בדבר הסמוי מן העין

The more hidden you keep it, the more protected it is from ayin hara.
Same kind of reason that people don't tell the gender of their baby, etc.

Don't see any other reason not to show, unless you're the type whose kids don't even know that a baby grows in the womb - ie. maybe the stork brings it, or you go and pick it up from hospital.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To show teen daughter pic of sonogram in pregnancy? Asking for a freind . I dont have daughters tho. I thought its strange . I would share anything but my sonogram pics . Whats your thoughts? Im curious to know what the majority thinks ? As of now I dont think I would show but could be times have changed and these days ppl share this with thier daughters?

During my last pregnancy my kids were old enough to understand the concept (5-13) we showed all of them. I can't imagine what the issue would be and why only show a teen daughter.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:56 pm
Maybe OP thinks it's inappropriate because, in addition to seeing the baby, you also see the inside of the womb?

Maybe the OP somehow considers that akin to seeing genitalia??

(Maybe we'l never know b/c the OP seems to have deserted her own thread...)

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:51 pm
I went with my mom for a sonogram at age 11. I was sick that day (school day) and couldn't be home alone.
It was fascinating to me. Don't feel there was an issue at all.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:10 am
Nuuuu someone please tell us why showing a pic of a sonogram is inappropriate PLEASE?!!!!

(I would show with my husband’s okay.)

salt

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:16 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Nuuuu someone please tell us why showing a pic of a sonogram is inappropriate PLEASE?!!!!

(I would show with my husband’s okay.)

I don't think it's inappropriate, but we've seen a few reasons here:

1. ayin hara - best to keep things hidden.
2. Kids might start asking questions like how did it get in there, and you'd prefer not get into a conversation like that.
3. Seeing a picture of inside your womb is similar to seeing a picture of your private parts.

Those are the reasons people have given here.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children