Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Shearim seminary

Rugelech

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:39 am
Our daughter has not been to sem yet even though she is in her twenties.

She is very interested in Shearim sem. Since we don't live in Israel, we would like to know about the sem. We have looked at their website.

If any of you has had any experience of the sem for your daughter or other relative, please let me know the details as soon as possible as my daughter is very keen to consider this life changing opportunity.

Two things I want to know is does the sem cater for for girls of all abilities? If a girl is not very studious will she manage there?

Besides Shearim, she would like to know of any sem where besides shiurim, they are taught how to run a home, they are taken on tours in Israel, they are encouraged to do chessed and become independent.

Thanks in advance

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:25 am
She'arim is a baal teshuva seminary. That means there will be all kinds of girls of all backgrounds there. Most are post college. The girls are expected to be responsible for themselves. The dorms are apartments scattered around the neighbourhood, and there is minimal direct supervision. She has to be able to cope with that.

It's not academic in the sense of exams and papers. But, the girls are expected to put an effort into learning. If she had a solid Jewish background, she'll probably go into the highest level, which is serious learning. But the point t is not to decipher a Ramban, or memorize a list of halachos. The point t is to put as much as you can into learning, and gain as much growth and understanding of Torah as possible.

The aim is learning g Torah for the sake of living Torah, and everyone is encouraged to do as much as possible from their own starting point.

Tours and chased coarse sort of most seminaries. She might also want to look at Midreshet Rachel.

One thing she should k ow is that going to seminary in her twenties, she should not look for a typical experience that she would have had at eighteen. She is different, the style if learning is different, and the whole structure is different. And that there tends to be a fluid population. Girls will come and go throughout the year, depending on all sorts of circumstances.

Gerbera

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:38 am
I went to Shearim! Went with a friend and we are both Bais Yaakov graduates. I went during my university break - April to September. There are ppl from all backgrounds and all levels.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions