Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Progress Report From Speech Therapist

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 9:48 pm
Is a speech therapist required to provide me with a written progress report if I need it to try to get approval for an increase in services from the Board of Ed?

bsy

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 11:07 pm
I dont know if you can force or not, but why wouldn't she give you one?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:57 am
Typically the therapists would be on board with requesting the increase because they would have to make the report specify the reason for the increase.

But in any event you should have access to quarterly and annual reports.

If the therapist works for an agency then you can contact the agency for a copy, if the therapist has not been forthcoming. If not, the DOE should be able to provide the report for you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:14 am
The Board of Ed requested a progress report from the speech therapist in response to my request for additional services. He told me he'd work on it, but it's been a few weeks.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:17 am
Did you nag him?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:26 am
I followed up 2-3 times.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:30 am
does he work for an agency? call the agency and let them deal with it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:46 am
He doesn't work for an agency.

Is it part of his job description to put this together?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:09 am
Is this a private or school district therapist?
Typically, we are required to provide progress reports quarterly. If you needed an additional report, it would be realistic to allow at least a month's notice. If you needed a re eval, 3 months are allotted. This is because speech therapists are super busy. We have a more than full schedule of students, plus daily notes, meetings, evaluations, teacher consults, and more work than could possibly fit into a week. Most speech therapist are doing case management duties within the schedule of a teacher. So please understand that 2 weeks is simply not enough notice.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He doesn't work for an agency.

Is it part of his job description to put this together?

Yes, especially if he contracts with the DOE. I'm sorry you're left hanging here. Nag harder? And if he likes your kid and you're willing to take a slight risk then tell him you're going to consider switching providers if he can't cough up what you need. This should not be so complicated.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Is this a private or school district therapist?
Typically, we are required to provide progress reports quarterly. If you needed an additional report, it would be realistic to allow at least a month's notice. If you needed a re eval, 3 months are allotted. This is because speech therapists are super busy. We have a more than full schedule of students, plus daily notes, meetings, evaluations, teacher consults, and more work than could possibly fit into a week. Most speech therapist are doing case management duties within the schedule of a teacher. So please understand that 2 weeks is simply not enough notice.

First of all, she said a few weeks, not 2, of which likely included almost two weeks off if he works in public education.
Secondly, he could just forward the most recent quarterly, with a paragraph attached stating why additional services are indicated. I have banged out such paragraphs in a matter of minutes.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:59 am
I believe it's been 5 weeks. I will keep following up with him. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics