Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone know about Sinai Schools or Shefa School?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

teachkids

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:31 am
Realize that schooling in the state you live In will help with government funding and therefore often tuition prices so keep that in mind when researching

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:34 am
teachkids wrote:
Realize that schooling in the state you live In will help with government funding and therefore often tuition prices so keep that in mind when researching

Is it a state issue or a school district issue.
Meaning, can I get the state to fund this?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:37 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I don't want to discourage anyone. Don't let the tuition asking price stop you from trying. As high as it is (Sinais is more)
Call any school that's an option for you. As far fetched as it sounds.
That's my thought. In this area of my life all I could do is try.
Didn't get me anywhere YET but Hashem knows I did my hishtadlus
Very sad situation in monsey Crying

Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying
Those tears are real.

There is no possible way my family could afford $63k/year and my daughter goes to Shefa. I was terrified when apply and then signing the tuition agreement. TERRIFIED. If in NY consult with an attorney or advocate that can help you navigate the process of getting it mostly covered by the BOE. I don't think Shefa has ever lost a case.

I'm not out of state but there is financial aid. You would have to contact Shefa to find out what the average award is.

If you think Shefa would be a good match set up and appointment to meet with them. They are very focused on language based learning disabilities. It's not broad spectrum of learning disabilities and not for children with autism. They will not accept a child that is not a good match for their program.

It was the best decision we ever made. It was perfect for our daughter. She is thriving there.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Is it a state issue or a school district issue.
Meaning, can I get the state to fund this?

State, not district.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
State, not district.

New York State??

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:41 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
New York State??

Yes. Out of state is financial aid only.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:41 am
There is no possible way my family could afford $63k/year and my daughter goes to Shefa. I was terrified when apply and then signing the tuition agreement. TERRIFIED. If in NY consult with an attorney or advocate that can help you navigate the process of getting it mostly covered by the BOE. I don't think Shefa has ever lost a case.

I'm not out of state but there is financial aid. You would have to contact Shefa to find out what the average award is.

If you think Shefa would be a good match set up and appointment to meet with them. They are very focused on language based learning disabilities. It's not broad spectrum of learning disabilities and not for children with autism. They will not accept a child that is not a good match for their program.

It was the best decision we ever made. It was perfect for our daughter. She is thriving there.

I'm referring to high functioning autism(Asperger's, even though that's no longer a term)

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:43 am
Yes. Out of state is financial aid only.

Let me clarify.
I'm in New York State
Sinai is in NJ

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I'm referring to high functioning autism(Asperger's, even though that's no longer a term)

Not unless he has a language based learning disability. Contact them for more information. If you are looking because he has autism this is not the school for your son. They will let you know if he qualifies.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Let me clarify.
I'm in New York State
Sinai is in NJ

I don’t know anything about NJ and Sinai. I don’t even know what Sinai’s focus is or if you can get NJ to pay. If you live in NY and your child goes to Shefa you can sue the BOE.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:46 am
Thank you
I'll look into it
But you're saying if we're both in NYS the state has to fund it.
Am I understanding correctly?
Because I'm at my wit's end.
It's a sad sad situation

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:13 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Let me clarify.
I'm in New York State
Sinai is in NJ

I know Sinai is more expensive for out of state children because of the state funding, so it would seem you get a discount in N.Y. schools. Shefa is language based learning disabilities only (and excel at it). I know of schools in Brooklyn and 5towns, but that’s far for you. Are there any hasc schools in Monsey? Check out ohr v’daas- I know a child with high functioning Down syndrome that went there.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I know Sinai is more expensive for out of state children because of the state funding, so it would seem you get a discount in N.Y. schools. Shefa is language based learning disabilities only (and excel at it). I know of schools in Brooklyn and 5towns, but that’s far for you. Are there any hasc schools in Monsey? Check out ohr v’daas- I know a child with high functioning Down syndrome that went there.

I know all my options here (none so far but Hashem can do anything)
He's extremely high functioning Boruch Hashem.
Traveling to Brooklyn daily is not what I want to do.
But I've looked into that too.
All I can do is Daven

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:15 pm
Try cheder be’er yeshaya in monsey.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:34 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Try cheder be’er yeshaya in monsey.

It's a regular mainstream school. Unless I'm unaware of s special class there?

He needs a little more help than average kids. I say he's the middle class. Can't be in mainstream but very high functioning Boruch Hashem.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:43 pm
Call Sinai and ask them. There are definitely kids from Monsey there. They can guide you as to how funding would work for you, and refer you to fellow Monsey Sinai parents (present or past) who can help too. I know that there have been kids from Brooklyn too, and the NY kids often get bussing too. They definitely do high functioning ASD, though that's difficult to find the right program for in general.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:45 pm
I know
I was there
I took him for an interview but financially wouldn't work.
It's different here in Monsey.
It's a disaster.
And so sad

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:27 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Thank you
I'll look into it
But you're saying if we're both in NYS the state has to fund it.
Am I understanding correctly?
Because I'm at my wit's end.
It's a sad sad situation

Yes. If you are in NY and the school is in NY you can sue the BOE to fund it. They determine what percentage is religious studies and they will not pay that portion.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:32 pm
I feel like monsey is a different issue.east ramapo
But if it's a state thing then how can you prove the kid needs a Jewish school and not public school?
I'm dealing with this for many years.
My son was in public school till this year.
When I decided I had enough.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I feel like monsey is a different issue.east ramapo
But if it's a state thing then how can you prove the kid needs a Jewish school and not public school?
I'm dealing with this for many years.
My son was in public school till this year.
When I decided I had enough.

Here in NY it has to be a good reason. Such as services you cannot get in a public school. It cannot just be because the school is Jewish. You need to provide proof that the child needs whatever services the school is offering such as evaluations from professionals, testing, IEP’s, etc.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)