Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
High blood sugar for dummies ;)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 1:23 am
What can you tell me about glucose levels difference when testing right after a meal vs an hour or 2 later. And any other information so I can try to figure out what’s going on here and speak to the Dr tomorrow.
Thanks!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 6:34 am
Testing immediately after a meal will give you a high level, connected to what you have eaten. After an hour you can expect to see a lower level of glucose, since your body will have had time to deal with the sugar in the meantime. Two hours later should be lower again.

If you have a coffee or snack within those two hours it will push the glucose levels back up. Stress can also cause it to rise. Vigorous exercise should cause a drop. A lot if other factors can also come into play.

Its normally recommended that you check before a meal as well as an hour afterwards.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:34 am
Read Dr. Bernstein’s diabetes solution. Great explanations.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:58 am
Thanks elfrida
We’re going for fasting labs now. Please daven!
So scared

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:22 pm
Fasting should be between 60-100.

2 hrs after meal should be lower than 140.
Any sugar readings above 140 anytime is considered elevated

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:03 pm
hugs and hatzlocha Op!

(I have read mixed info on black coffee (no milk) it does or does not raise blood sugar level?)

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 2:31 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Read Dr. Bernstein’s diabetes solution. Great explanations.

This is in children's health, meaning that she is probably referring to Type 1 diabetes.

While the type of very low carb diet you're advocating is possible, I don't know how good an idea it is for a child. 30 g of carbs a day (what Bernstein advocates) is about 2 carrots, 1/2 cup onion, 1/2 cup tomato, and 1/2 cup broccoli. A day. Or one medium apple. A day. IMNSHO, you should see a pediatric diabetes counselor before adopting those restrictions.

Ob another post, fasting blood sugar should be 70 - 100, not 60. Below 70 is low, and below 54 is cause for immediate action.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:38 am
SixOfWands wrote:
This is in children's health, meaning that she is probably referring to Type 1 diabetes.

While the type of very low carb diet you're advocating is possible, I don't know how good an idea it is for a child. 30 g of carbs a day (what Bernstein advocates) is about 2 carrots, 1/2 cup onion, 1/2 cup tomato, and 1/2 cup broccoli. A day. Or one medium apple. A day. IMNSHO, you should see a pediatric diabetes counselor before adopting those restrictions.

Ob another post, fasting blood sugar should be 70 - 100, not 60. Below 70 is low, and below 54 is cause for immediate action.

Thanks. Bh fasting labs were good this time, but high blood sugar levels are a side effect to this chemo... we will speak to a nutritionist to figure out some dietary changes Can't Believe It

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:16 am
Can you get a prescription for a CGM (continuous glucose monitor)?

Then you don't have to prick, but you can watch the glucose levels with a short delay, and get regular feedback on which foods are making a difference, and which activities (or water intake) can mitigate it.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Bh fasting labs were good this time, but high blood sugar levels are a side effect to this chemo... we will speak to a nutritionist to figure out some dietary changes Can't Believe It

Steroids make sugars go up.

my child's initial chemo regimen was huge doses of dexamethasone which is a steroid. One night his sugars jumped to 666. He got insulin prior to each meal. When he watched his food intake it was like 200 instead of 300-400 with taking the insilulin. I think you can't do anything. Once they stop with the steroids it should stabilize. bezh. Hatzlacha.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 3:10 am
Any sugary or hi carb food should he avoided. Try to stick to protein/ veg mainly
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics