Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How long to cook chicken bottoms on stovetop?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:17 am
My oven is broken so need to do it this way. How long does it need to cook for? I want to do it on lowest flame with minimal water.

Thanks!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My oven is broken so need to do it this way. How long does it need to cook for? I want to do it on lowest flame with minimal water.

Thanks!

I make that, sauté lots of onions, garlic, spices and then put chicken on top with more spices, specially lots of paprika, brown the chicken well on both sides. Then add some water to the bottom to prevent burning and make a bit of gravy, cover, and keep checking. Turn chicken over. I cook for about 2 hours,

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:29 am
Cheiny wrote:
I make that, sauté lots of onions, garlic, spices and then put chicken on top with more spices, specially lots of paprika, brown the chicken well on both sides. Then add some water to the bottom to prevent burning and make a bit of gravy, cover, and keep checking. Turn chicken over. I cook for about 2 hours,

Thanks! I'm thinking of adding potatoes as well. Do they need to be covered in water or just a little is fine?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 11:34 am
2 hours. It does not need to be covered with water; the potatoes will get steamed. Add a little water so the pot doesn't burn, cover pot and cook low and slow.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 12:44 pm
Season and brown the chicken in a large frying pan that has a cover and 2-3 inch high sides. Add the liquid, cover and cook on medium for 1 hour.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! I'm thinking of adding potatoes as well. Do they need to be covered in water or just a little is fine?

Potatoes need some water on bottom to get soft...

iyar

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:26 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Potatoes need some water on bottom to get soft...

There will be liquid from the onions and the chicken. The less water you add the better. Using enough water to cover the potato chunks (or even worse the chicken) will result in a soggy, bland mush.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:40 pm
Thanks all!

Came out delicious.

I sprinkled chicken bottoms with garlic powder and spread a paste of mustard and honey over it. Also added a splash of soy sauce.

Added extra spices on the potatoes (paprika and garlic) and a little water.

Cooked on tiny flame for 2 hours. We all enjoyed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics