Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
To go back or not?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:50 pm
I moved a year ago and my older children and myself miss where we lived so much it hurts. I have the opportunity to go back for the whole summer but idont know if it will just make it harder for all of us after?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 3:59 pm
DH took an "out of town" position and we went back for a few summers. However we had only rented out our house, didn't sell it. So when we found it just was too big an adjustment for the kids we moved back and BH DH eventually found a local position.

I'm sure if we had sold the house it would have been much harder to make that decision. But I am sure it was a good thing over all.

Sometimes it's beneficial to re-connect with old friends and familiar places.

If you have absolutely no option to move back, I hear your point that if might make it more difficult. But always be open-minded in exploring your options.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:00 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
DH took an "out of town" position and we went back for a few summers. However we had only rented out our house, didn't sell it. So when we found it just was too big an adjustment for the kids we moved back and BH DH eventually found a local position.

I'm sure if we had sold the house it would have been much harder to make that decision. But I am sure it was a good thing over all.

Sometimes it's beneficial to re-connect with old friends and familiar places.

If you have absolutely no option to move back, I hear your point that if might make it more difficult. But always be open-minded in exploring your options.

Thank you for your post but moving back isnt an option.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:27 pm
Yes. Go for the summer.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I moved a year ago and my older children and myself miss where we lived so much it hurts. I have the opportunity to go back for the whole summer but idont know if it will just make it harder for all of us after?

Don't.

You need to learn to make your life where you are now, and going back isn't doing that.

Additionally, people move on. The friendships and camaraderie aren't going to be the same, and your kids are likely to be disappointed.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 4:44 pm
A few thoughts....

I myself moved to a new town about 8 years ago, and at the beginning it was really tough.

I totally get you.

The summer is a good time to meet people in your new neighborhood. In the winter it's a lot more difficult, since people aren't really out and about.

But, I see the advantage of going back for the summer.

I moved just before the summer, so for the first summer we stayed in our new place, but for the second summer we went away (to stay by family, in another place altogether). By the third summer, we were fully acclimated and happy and ready to stay in our new town.

Good Luck.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 5:47 pm
I would go back for the summer and have fun

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 6:20 am
One of my closest friends moved about 5 years ago. They come back every summer and we start looking forward to it in April every year. If anything, our friendship became even stronger after she left. When she comes back, it’s like she never left. And during the winter we don’t talk that much but that does not affect our friendship. The kids always pick up right where they left off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating