Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What Can you not get in Israel that people ask u to bring ?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:31 am
There's almost everything, or equivalents, but the prices... I am flabbergasted at the prices

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:36 am
Ruchel wrote:
There's almost everything, or equivalents, but the prices... I am flabbergasted at the prices

Of what? Where did you shop?
Paris isnt exactly known for being cheap either.

grace413

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:29 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I don't think so. Making aliyah means being prepared to embrace a whole new lifestyle. Ordering items from Amazon is hardly the biggest consideration. Especially when you realize that you can't just order and have things turn up the next day. They take time to arrive and then have to be picked up from the post office. In my case that means that if an item arrives on Sunday, it will probably sit at the post office until Friday when I have time to collect it.

The most an Amazon delivery can do is grease the wheels somewhat. It's a nice luxury, but I can't see the option to order school supplies or whatever as the decisive factor in making aliyah. Eretz Yisrael is much greater than that.

All my Amazon orders come directly to my door. Yay!

I agree that it's not a factor in the decision to make aliyah.

saralem

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:35 pm
also fresh cranberries which I would freeze. for cran-apple bundt cake....

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:53 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Of what? Where did you shop?
Paris isnt exactly known for being cheap either.

Paris? primark or vuitton?
Also, I don't shop in Paris
I have eyes to compare the prices from gf food to make up to real estate
google OCDE ISRAEL LIVING

etky

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:13 pm
abound wrote:
onion powder that does not clump, you could find it sometimes, but not regularly

So I stocked up on my last trip on the McCormick onion powder and then, 2 days after I got home I found onion powder - not McCormick but some other, less known American brand, at my corner macolet Surprised .
Other than onion powder and some other spices/blends like celery salt, Old Bay etc. and some extracts that they don't have here (maple, coconut) there are a two anti-wrinke serums made by Boots and ROc that I have to order from chutz la'aretz at a much higher price. Sure I could use a locally available product instead but I want those products specifically. I'm under the illusion that they actually ward off and prevent wrinkles LOL
Another thing I order from abroad are fragrances cause they are much cheaper than buying here.
Recently, we jumped on the band wagon and made a small order from Amazon because of the free deilvery. However, everything I really wanted (food, fragrances and pharmaceutical items) did not ship other than wet and dry Swiffer wipes (which I was thrilled about). So we threw in some Dial soap to meet the minumum $49. It's nice to smell that familiar smell from my childhood.
Oh, and to the poster who mentioned blueberry filling - they not only have the imported American ones here, there are at least two local brands that make it and they are much cheaper and IMO even tastier than the American ones.

Mollie

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:53 pm
When I was in seminary many years ago I craved Tropicana Orange juice. I don’t know if you can buy that in Israel today..

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:55 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I do appreciate it. That's why I chose to live and raise a family here, despite whatever inconveniences.
But sitting in America and telling people who live here to oooommmmggggggggg appreciate it because you miss it is a bit strange.

Honestly, ur attitude is so strange!!! If u hate Israel so much, bc it's so inconvenient, move back! And why are you commenting on other people's nestalgia of Israel! In such a negative, uncalled for manner!

etky

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:20 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Honestly, ur attitude is so strange!!! If u hate Israel so much, bc it's so inconvenient, move back! And why are you commenting on other people's nestalgia of Israel! In such a negative, uncalled for manner!

Not Gray, but that post also rubbed me the wrong way.
It insinuated that our discussion of things that we can't get here and/or that we miss from the 'old country' somehow conveys a lack of appreciation of living in Israel.
It would be one thing if a fellow Israeli made that (wrong) comment, but coming from someone who doesn't even live here made it sound patronizing.
You can live here for idealistic reasons and appreciate the spiritual benefits while stilll missing certain aspects of your previous, more comfortable life. I think that's very normal.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Just because you miss it and enjoy buying your dairy products in bags, I have to appreciate all the inconveniences, overpriced items, and goods that I have to beg relatives to shlep in for me? Um, okay.
What do you have to "beg relatives to shlep in" for you? Im sorry, but what could one NEED from a different country that they can not get here, maybe a different brand, or more expensive, but this country has everything that one NEEDS.
And if you feel inconvenienced by living here, then why stay here?
You sound extremely negative about living here. Not everyone can handle it and it is definitely not for everyone. But if you do live here, why such negativity?

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:51 pm
Spices. Amazon doesn’t ship food. I ask for Montreal steak spice, Lawry’s and some of the Trader Joe’s spice mixes. Iherb actually has a lot of good spice blends (taco mix and whatnot)

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:08 pm
Clothing and shoes are much cheaper in America, so I still have people bring me that.
Although I recently ordered 2 really nice pairs of shoes on Amazon that were delivered to my door!

Spices - Kirkland Mesquite BBQ Spice, Mrs. Dash, Onion Powder, McCormick Salmon Spice, Pickling spice.

Ground coffee and filters to use with my Melita drip cup.

Bacitracin, A&D, Desitin

Water flavorers, electrolyte drops

(About Amazon - I've been ordering things I don't NEED from America, but it's nice to have. Like American toilet paper Smile , art supplies, glue sticks, books, toys, pantry organizers...)

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:39 am
My sister keeps asking for Herr's red hot potato chips. If anyone knows where she can get it in Jerusalem, please reply. TIA

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:23 pm
Are there $store type stores (1 sheck?), Or like 5 and under kinda stuff? How expensive is food, and other Evey day items? Like, can u get shampoo and deoderant and detergents for under 5 sheck?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:23 pm
Double post

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:25 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Are there $store type stores (1 sheck?), Or like 5 and under kinda stuff? How expensive is food, and other Evey day items? Like, can u get shampoo and deoderant and detergents for under 5 sheck?

When I was last in Israel (admittedly a long time ago) there were 2-shek stores.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
When I was last in Israel (admittedly a long time ago) there were 2-shek stores.

Thanks! Very Happy

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 27 2020, 11:43 pm
There are shekel, shekel-and-a-half stores, but they don't really compare to US Dollar stores. They sell random tchochkies, not much in the way of useful household items. I wouldn't count on being able to buy real food or shampoo etc at only five shekels. However I use the apps for major chains such as Shufersal and Superpharm and can often find great deals and/or digital coupons that can bring the prices way down on these sorts of items.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 7:30 am
Teomima wrote:
There are shekel, shekel-and-a-half stores, but they don't really compare to US Dollar stores. They sell random tchochkies, not much in the way of useful household items. I wouldn't count on being able to buy real food or shampoo etc at only five shekels. However I use the apps for major chains such as Shufersal and Superpharm and can often find great deals and/or digital coupons that can bring the prices way down on these sorts of items.

Ok. Thanks!! 😁
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics