Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Manhattan: Upper East vs Upper West (maybe Lower East?)
1  2  3  Next

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:38 am
Hi,

Does anyone know where the frum communities are in Manhattan? What shuls are comparable to a shul in Flatbush? Are there any schools?

Are there young couples anywhere? Are there specific buildings people move into?

TIA!

Last edited by lcraighten on Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:39 am
UWS have several Flatbush sort of shtiebels. Sort of. But it’s not really comparable. The weather is much much more substantial than Flatbush but it’s a more low key community.

What more detailed questions do you have

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:40 am
I'm trying to figure out if I am comfortable moving there. I have two kids who will need day care and elementary school/preschool. I definitely want to be part of a community.

Do you know what streets in particular have frum people?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:42 am
lcraighten wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if I am comfortable moving there. I have two kids who will need day care and elementary school/preschool. I definitely want to be part of a community.

It’s a hard place to feel part of a community. It’s what I love (and my husband hates) about it. Also it’s expensive. Can you afford it?

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:47 am
I'm willing to pay up to $4K a month on rent (2bdrm 1 bath), my husband will be working long hours in Manhattan and I'd love if we can cut his commute and see him more often! This won't be our first move, and I find that if there are good schools or a shul, you can make friends and become part of a community.

Also, apartment building life (if you get the right building) is usually a good place to start.

What's the difference between UW and UE?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:52 am
lcraighten wrote:
I'm willing to pay up to $4K a month on rent (2bdrm 1 bath), my husband will be working long hours in Manhattan and I'd love if we can cut his commute and see him more often! This won't be our first move, and I find that if there are good schools or a shul, you can make friends and become part of a community.

Also, apartment building life (if you get the right building) is usually a good place to start.

Tremendous difference. One rudimentary difference is that UES is largely more modern.

For that price I believe you can only get a brownstone building (not an apartment building) I’d check out some listings and see if you see otherwise

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:55 am
Thanks, what is the price for an apartment building?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:01 am
lcraighten wrote:
Thanks, what is the price for an apartment building?

Found one in a good building on 97 and west end for 4675/month.

Check out streeteasy and filter your search

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:04 am
UES is more modern. That's where Ramaz is, which is comparable to Yeshiva of Flatbush. But if you weren't talking about YoF, but rather other schools that are in Flatbush, I think you'll be better off on the UWS. Also, Manhattan doesn't really have building or block communities like other boroughs do. The buildings are much bigger, with hundreds of apartments, so you don't get that community/neighborly bonding (though you certainly might find plenty of friends in your building). There aren't certain blocks that have a particular composition because there are just so many people living on every block. Being part of the community is going to come largely from going to shul and being involved with the kids' school.

ellacoe

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:04 am
UWS is a mixed community in terms of frumkiet and age. The UES has young couples but less than the UWS. There is also more of a variety and range of shuls on the UWS. There are a lot of young couples in the 80s & 90s and there is a new community of people moving to "Hells Kitchen" high 50s-65th ish on West End Ave and Riverside Boulevard. I am not sure what is available in your range for rent but I don't think you are that far off for a two bedroom. In terms of schools there are several options either on the UWS or lower east side or Washington Hieghts. There are also more restaurants and kosher food options on the UWS

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:06 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
UES is more modern. That's where Ramaz is, which is comparable to Yeshiva of Flatbush. But if you weren't talking about YoF, but rather other schools that are in Flatbush, I think you'll be better off on the UWS. Also, Manhattan doesn't really have building or block communities like other boroughs do. The buildings are much bigger, with hundreds of apartments, so you don't get that community/neighborly bonding (though you certainly might find plenty of friends in your building). There aren't certain blocks that have a particular composition because there are just so many people living on every block. Being part of the community is going to come largely from going to shul and being involved with the kids' school.

Yes to all of the above.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:42 am
lcraighten wrote:

Forget it, you can’t afford it. You can rent a beautiful big house in Flatbush for much less than that. The subway commute is 40 minutes, not a big deal.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:49 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Forget it, you can’t afford it. You can rent a beautiful big house in Flatbush for much less than that. The subway commute is 40 minutes, not a big deal.

And if you dont absolutely positively MUST be in the city, just buy a home in Pasaic

The commute from there to midtown is shorter and nicer than UWS to midtown

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:56 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
And if you dont absolutely positively MUST be in the city, just buy a home in Pasaic

The commute from there to midtown is shorter and nicer than UWS to midtown

Ok, that’s not even true. Lincoln tunnel traffic can often be prohibitive. UWS to midtown west is 20-30 minutes. And subways (despite their shortcomings) are more reliable overall than traffic

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:19 pm
So I have looked into everything.

Brooklyn - commute is close to 1 hour with public transit (the subway might be 40 minutes but getting to the subway takes time too) and the houses are super expensive for small places
Passaic/Clifton - Definitely an option, but still a long enough commute that DH can't come home for dinner and go back to the office
Kew Gardens - nice community, but pretty pricey and not really a long term stay (also a 40 minute commute)
Kew Gardens Hills - better housing prices, but don't love the schools (would send to KG for elementary anyway) ~45 minutes commute
Manhattan - super expensive, but great commute. Trying to get a feel for the schools and shuls to see if its a decent option. You're right, I might be totally priced out as well.

Does anyone know any school names that are comparable to masores, prospect, drav meir, type schools?

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:34 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Ok, that’s not even true. Lincoln tunnel traffic can often be prohibitive. UWS to midtown west is 20-30 minutes. And subways (despite their shortcomings) are more reliable overall than traffic

Tunnel traffic you are right about

In my personal experience, returning after Shabbos by friends and relatives

The train from Pasaic was 25 minutes , and it was door to door where I worked

From 92nd st or Lincoln sq synagogue to my job, was at least a half hour sometimes more plus a long walk from the subway station

And the NJ is like a mini vacation

The A train is a nitemare

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:37 pm
What do you think about 5 Towns and Hafta or HANC

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:41 pm
I grew up on the UWS, went to Stern in Midtown. My uncle worked in midtown. He has walked it.

I've also lived in Passaic and then Clifton. My husband worked in midtown. You can't compare the commutes. You can't just get out and walk when you live in Passaic and the commute by bus is longer then the commute by train.

Growing up I didn't really feel a sense of "community". As a previous poster said some people love it, some people don't. I lived there because we had "family" there.

in terms of schools look in to breuers ( washington heights) and beis yaakov of lower east side.

The local school where I went is Manhattan Day School which is more modern.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:47 pm
I'm not sure I can add anything that hasn't already been said, but I live on the UES if you have any specific questions I can answer! I'm solidly part of the MO community though.

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:09 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
What do you think about 5 Towns and Hafta or HANC

A bit too modern for me, also quite far from Manhattan Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating