Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Why are photos and videos blocked on some devices?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:35 am
It’s a genuine question.
I don’t understand why people would block photos and videos if it would only have pictures of themselves or their families or food or whatever they take pictures of.
I see cameras with no video option (?!)
Smartphones with no photos or camera

Why?
It’s just pictures of themselves
Or their stuff
Or their family

Please help a BT understand
Thanks!!

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:47 am
Because they could be used to access inappropriate material and they don’t want to be tempted. Or others could send them such material, either accidentally by entering the wrong recipient or deliberately. You’re probably too young to remember when obscene phone calls were the crime du jour. Sickies would dial random numbers and pour the foulest things into the ears of whoever answered. It got so you were afraid to pick up the phone. You never knew if the sickie was someone who dialed at random or someone who was purposely targeting you. The same thing can happen with a cell phone, but pics are much worse. You can never unsee whatever you saw.

Do some imamother research. You’ll find more than one thread about a dh who took suggestive pics or video of dw and lent phone to s/o or s/o picked up phone or saw phone over his shoulder or dc picked up phone. OR dw sent suggestive message and pic to dh and he opened message with boss or friend standing next to him...

People don’t want to be at risk of such OOOPS situations, and I don’t blame them.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:12 am
zaq wrote:
Because they could be used to access inappropriate material and they don’t want to be tempted. Or others could send them such material, either accidentally by entering the wrong recipient or deliberately. You’re probably too young to remember when obscene phone calls were the crime du jour. Sickies would dial random numbers and pour the foulest things into the ears of whoever answered. It got so you were afraid to pick up the phone. You never knew if the sickie was someone who dialed at random or someone who was purposely targeting you. The same thing can happen with a cell phone, but pics are much worse. You can never unsee whatever you saw.

Do some imamother research. You’ll find more than one thread about a dh who took suggestive pics or video of dw and lent phone to s/o or s/o picked up phone or saw phone over his shoulder or dc picked up phone. OR dw sent suggestive message and pic to dh and he opened message with boss or friend standing next to him...

People don’t want to be at risk of such OOOPS situations, and I don’t blame them.

That’s interesting.
But if they don’t have picture text.....

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:22 am
I have never heard of sickie calls. Prank calls used to be a thing but much rarer than movie making it to be

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:31 am
You have never heard of sickie calls because that’s not what they were called—they were called”obscene phone calls” and were a specific type of prank call—and because you were not yet born when they were in vogue. With the advent of caller ID, these episodes dropped off significantly. Sexting random strangers would be the modern equivalent, and the main phone-related nuisance today is scam calls.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:33 am
I have never ever received a random sext. Nor afaik a scam. and I do pick up to strangers (my husband even more, he also doesn't have)

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:39 am
If a phone has no picture texting ability, the photos can still be accessed by anyone playing around with the phone or looking over the owner’s shoulder.

I told you, do some imamother research and read posts by imas mortified to learn that , for example, dh lent a phone to a friend whose battery died and the friend came across the pic of dw in her naughty nightie—or out of it.

Why does it bother you to know that some people don’t want all the bells and whistles that modern technology has to offer?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:42 am
Be clever. DELETE

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:21 pm
zaq wrote:
If a phone has no picture texting ability, the photos can still be accessed by anyone playing around with the phone or looking over the owner’s shoulder.

I told you, do some imamother research and read posts by imas mortified to learn that , for example, dh lent a phone to a friend whose battery died and the friend came across the pic of dw in her naughty nightie—or out of it.

Why does it bother you to know that some people don’t want all the bells and whistles that modern technology has to offer?

Okay. That I get. But in the case of a smartphone, s-xy pics is what makes it treif?! What if you don’t even HAVE s-xy pics? Or wouldn’t think to take them? Then what?

I guess I’m just trying to understand why people don’t want pics of their family. It’s just weird and idk....

(Again, I am newly religious and I don’t understand these things. Or think I just never will. Sorry for the bother.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics