Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
JFK airport checks, scanners, food, more

mammala120

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:46 am
First time traveling with kids. Youngest are 5 and 7 please tell me everything I should know traveling to Israel through JFK (last time I traveled to israel I was still single like over15 years ago)

What will I be allowed to bring on carry-on. Any foods. Meds. Epipen. Drinks. Vitamins. Dry tea bags.
How do I know what X-ray scanners are and how can I avoid it for kids. Any laws I can print and take with me from JFK that shows what’s right. Some airports prevent you have no choice or you won’t fly if you refuse.
Anything else. Please let me know. Please

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:55 am
Check TSA. And JFK's website.
You might be able to ask for regular metal detector instead of XRay. But they might want to pat you down as well.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:59 am
Have all meds in their original bottles with prescription labels on them (including epipen in the original box). Drinks you’ll need to toss and buy fresh after security.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:11 am
I find that whenever I’ve gone with my kids through security they have never asked us to go through the scanner, just the regular metal detector. Even if I were without kids I would never go through it, I’d rather go through a pat down. I could be wrong but I don’t think they can force you to go through the scanner, you’ll just have to go to the side for a pat down, understandably so.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:19 am
Food isn't a problem, but liquids are. We bring empty water bottles and sippy cups and fill them with water at the water fountains once we're at the gate.

Children don't have to take their shoes off when going through security.

I brought melatonin with me in a Ziploc baggie without a problem but if you have prescription medications you should definitely bring them in their original containers.

mammala120

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:19 am
I checked the website there is nothing there about it.

mammala120

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:23 am
I see. Thankyou for tips they are very helpful. Someone just told my husband that everybody goes through the CT scanners and no one can option out. Is that true?

singleagain

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:32 am
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/.....ners/

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:32 pm
Make sure to pack all your food in plastic bags within your carry-ons. Sometimes you have to take your food out of the bags just like larger electronics, and it's easier if it's in its own bag. You definitely need to take out the EpiPens. If you don't have the original box, get a doctor's letter. For drinks, you can bring formula and the like- they will test it. (This is also true for needed liquid medicine.) Otherwise, you buy after security (and coming back from Israel, you can't do that either- no liquids on the plain.) For food, realize that some foods are classified as liquids, like yogurts and applesauce.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:45 pm
I just traveled with 4 children and they did not ask me or my husband to go through the xray scanners. We just walked through the regular metal detectors with our kids.
Kids never have to go through those, and even the adults travelling with kids are usually not told to do so.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:01 pm
dont take peanut butter

mammala120

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:55 pm
Thankyou everyone for your helpful replies they are so much needed by me. I was told by my dh that a lot of people he asked told him that the X-ray machine is hidden. It’s like a room or hall way that everyone passes not knowing. Is that true?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics