Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Manhattan: Upper East vs Upper West (maybe Lower East?)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:10 pm
@icedcoffee Thank You!!

lcraighten

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:10 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

The train from Pasaic was 25 minutes , and it was door to door where I worked

From 92nd st or Lincoln sq synagogue to my job, was at least a half hour sometimes more plus a long walk from the subway station

And the NJ is like a mini vacation

Is Passaic really that close? Where were you working? If that's the case then Passaic just jumped to the top of my list!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:22 pm
Absolutely not. My friend's husband teaches at Ramaz and they live in Passaic, and the commute is quite hellish for him. The NJ transit system is falling apart, the trains are always behind schedule, buses are constantly breaking down and getting stuck in the tunnel. Yeah, it'll take 25 minutes if you're going at 11pm, not anywhere near that at rush hour.

Also, if the 5 towns schools are too modern for you, you're not going to find anything to your liking in Manhattan.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:34 pm
I haven't lived in Manhattan for years. But would Washington Heights and the Breuers school system work? It seemed like a very nice community. I think Washington Heights might have some apartments.

It really also depends on what part of Manhattan your husband is working in. I had times that from my apt to my office in financial district took as long as my friends commute to Long island.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 4:40 pm
It sounds like Washington heights and breurs may be a better fit for you. It’s about half an hour into midtown depending on the time of day. Apartments are cheap and there’s a nice community. It’s just not pretty like the upper East or upper west

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:16 pm
Isn't Breuers only girls? Or is there a boys one too? Because if op has any boys, that's got to be a consideration. I don't recall there being any boys schools of the type OP would want.

avrahamama

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:18 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Isn't Breuers only girls? Or is there a boys one too? Because if op has any boys, that's got to be a consideration. I don't recall there being any boys schools of the type OP would want.

My understanding is that breurs is it's own school system for the community there.

teachkids

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

They have boys too. They have elementary for both and high school only for boys.
For boys theres also yeshiva ketana though.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:27 pm
teachkids wrote:
They have boys too. They have elementary for both and high school only for boys.
For boys theres also yeshiva ketana though.

I know about Yeshiva Ketana, but that's more of a RWMO crowd. Might not be quite what she's looking for. I stand corrected about Breuers.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:28 pm
teachkids wrote:
It sounds like Washington heights and breurs may be a better fit for you. It’s about half an hour into midtown depending on the time of day. Apartments are cheap and there’s a nice community. It’s just not pretty like the upper East or upper west

Wash Hts to midtown in a half hour , By Helicopter ???

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:42 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wash Hts to midtown in a half hour , By Helicopter ???

I’d say from 181st to 42nd is more like 35-40 minutes on the A

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:54 pm
I have a close relative on the UWS for 20 years- they send their girls to BY of the Lower East Side (by van) and boys to the Yeshiva Ketana of Manhattan for elementary school. Then they need to commute for high school- girls to Brooklyn (D'rav Meir) and boys are dorming in various yeshivas. Parking is a disaster (wife reverse commutes to NJ for work) husband works in the city. It is not an easy lifestyle at all from what I can see, between child care, schooling options, community etc., but I could see it would be much different if the mother worked fewer hours/closer...Hatzlacha with whatever you decide.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 6:11 pm
I lived in the heights too, it definitely took about 30 minutes to get to midtown. My apartment to Penn Station was 25-30 minutes. It's a very nice area! The Hudson Heights side in particular is really quite pretty, but much more residential than UWS/UES.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:37 pm
Tuition in Manhatten is so much higher than anywhere else. Even Chabad preschool on 97th is close to $20,000 .

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:39 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Tuition in Manhatten is so much higher than anywhere else. Even Chabad preschool on 97th is close to $20,000 .

You wish!! Closer to 30k. I think with the tuition break I begged for I was quoted 24k ++++

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Ok, that’s not even true. Lincoln tunnel traffic can often be prohibitive. UWS to midtown west is 20-30 minutes. And subways (despite their shortcomings) are more reliable overall than traffic

10 minutes or less on the express.

I lived on the UWS 10 years ago and paid 3100 for a 1 bedroom in a doorman building. 4K might be a little low. The UWS is very transient, with many singles and young marrieds who move out to the suburbs. I know the popular singles buildings but not sure if that exists for marrieds.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:49 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Tunnel traffic you are right about

In my personal experience, returning after Shabbos by friends and relatives

The train from Pasaic was 25 minutes , and it was door to door where I worked

From 92nd st or Lincoln sq synagogue to my job, was at least a half hour sometimes more plus a long walk from the subway station

And the NJ is like a mini vacation

The A train is a nitemare

The A train doesn’t stop on the UWS, it’s the 123 or BC.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:52 pm
There are a bunch of couples who send to by lower East side and yeshiva Ketana. By is a big commute and very annoying. Yeshiva Ketana is a tiny school and not that impressive. For high school the girls go to manhattan high school , boys mostly to river dale, shar ha Torah in queens . These couples daven in shteibels that would suit you. These couples who are in the city forever usually are in buildings their parents or grandparents own so the cost does not play a role in their life. Most people find it too expensive to live there with a larger sized family.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
There are a bunch of couples who send to by lower East side and yeshiva Ketana. By is a big commute and very annoying. Yeshiva Ketana is a tiny school and not that impressive. For high school the girls go to manhattan high school , boys mostly to river dale, shar ha Torah in queens . These couples daven in shteibels that would suit you. These couples who are in the city forever usually are in buildings their parents or grandparents own so the cost does not play a role in their life. Most people find it too expensive to live there with a larger sized family.

as someone who grew up on the UWS I would agree with this. Or their parents are very wealthy even if they aren't in real estate.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:19 pm
Washington Heights might be a good option.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating