Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler eats all day!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:57 pm
Hi, my almost two year old seems to be eating all day. She generally eats healthful foods because that’s what we have in the house but I’m worried - too much of a good thing is also not good! She’ll eat oatmeal or eggs plus fruit with breakfast, ten minutes later when bored will open the freezer and take some frozen fruit (she eats tons of fruit which has tons of sugar I know) or go to the cabinet and request something.

It seems that whenever she’s bored she wants to eat and can eat a lot!! Way more than I suspect is normal for her age. She’s heavier than average (not to a crazy degree) and I’m nervous for her current and future health.

I plan on discussing this with her pediatrician at her next visit but until then would love to hear advice from you!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:07 pm
She's eating because she's bored, not because she's hungry. Make sure she drinks enough and don't give her food every time she asks. Distract her with toys and by playing with her.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:08 pm
Offer her water instead of food.

If she asks for food distract her by saying “let’s go find your doll”......

Too much fruit isn’t good ( I know you know).

mrsjay

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:17 pm
My toddler eats tons too! But I love it my older daughter is not a good eater at all so this one is a breeze! He can eat 3 breakfast ( eggs, cream cheese bread, half a banana and a milk bottle in an hour and 15 min time span)
But he’s tall built and active, he weighs proportioned to his build.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:20 pm
Growth spurt?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:24 pm
My toddler was like that and now he's 4 and he's still like that! He also eats way too much fruit. And totally eats out of boredom. And it's hard to keep a little kid entertained and busy all the time! Totally understand what you're going through. Sadly no advice.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:28 pm
See if giving her more fat and protein helps. When you eat too much sugar (this includes fruit and simple carbs), your body craves it non stop. It's especially important to start the day with fat and protein, and minimal sugar. This is what my pediatrician advised. Also, it's perfectly fine to limit food to meal times plus a couple of healthy snacks. It's really not a healthy habit to be snacking all day. And a toddler shouldn't be helping herself to food either- it's appropriate for you to be making her food choices (with her input) at this age.

trixx

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:43 pm
Maybe having her help prepare food or bake with you will give interaction with food but all she can really do is lick her fingers or sneak a few bites. She can cut bananas, spoon muffins, whisk an egg to scramble etc.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:53 pm
Honestly I think toddlers are too young to eat when they're bored. If heyre bored and not hungry, wouldn't they play or ask you to play with them?
My toddler around this age also likes to eat- my toddler eats a bunch of smaller meals instead of one larger meal. As long as it's healthy, I don't think age 2 is time to start limiting intake...
You can certainly try once to distract your toddler but if your toddler persists I really don't see the problem with healthy food.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:01 pm
What happens if you tell her it’s not time to eat?
Offer her water at times she’s had enough
Make a schedule of her meal time
Let her visually see the schedule and tell her it’s not time now, we are eating in ——

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:03 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Growth spurt?

If so it’s the longest duration growth spurt in history lol

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
See if giving her more fat and protein helps. When you eat too much sugar (this includes fruit and simple carbs), your body craves it non stop. It's especially important to start the day with fat and protein, and minimal sugar. This is what my pediatrician advised. Also, it's perfectly fine to limit food to meal times plus a couple of healthy snacks. It's really not a healthy habit to be snacking all day. And a toddler shouldn't be helping herself to food either- it's appropriate for you to be making her food choices (with her input) at this age.

Thanks, I’ll try incorporating more fat and protein. Perhaps I need to stop buying so much fruit (fresh fruit, frozen fruit, applesauce, compote etc).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:06 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
What happens if you tell her it’s not time to eat?
Offer her water at times she’s had enough
Make a schedule of her meal time
Let her visually see the schedule and tell her it’s not time now, we are eating in ——

I love the chart idea, thank you!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:08 pm
Is she home with you all day? Maybe she needs more structure in her day?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Honestly I think toddlers are too young to eat when they're bored. If heyre bored and not hungry, wouldn't they play or ask you to play with them?
My toddler around this age also likes to eat- my toddler eats a bunch of smaller meals instead of one larger meal. As long as it's healthy, I don't think age 2 is time to start limiting intake...
You can certainly try once to distract your toddler but if your toddler persists I really don't see the problem with healthy food.

She eats to the point of being bloated and seems uncomfortable (but doesn’t seem to mind. Interesting contradiction I know). I think she enjoys food and sees it as a nice activity. Which is fine in moderation! I don’t want to be jeopardizing her health.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:10 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Is she home with you all day? Maybe she needs more structure in her day?

That’s possible. We’re out and busy in the mornings but it’s hard to go out between nap time and dinner/bedtime because of the dark cold weather!

cbg

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:16 pm
Do some arts n crafts projects with her

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If so it’s the longest duration growth spurt in history lol

Ok, so it’s not new behavior. 😊

Please before you start making charts and rules....
1. Talk to her pediatrician. I know you said you planned to. But start writing down everything she eats for a few days so you can tell him/ her exactly what “eats all the time means” and you can know how off she is calorie-wise and nutrient-wise from peers.
2. Spend one day out of the house totally busy with exciting things and see if her appetite and interest in food is less. It’s a good way to know if this is behavioral or medical. Or at least rule out boredom.

Eating disorders and poor body image can start really young. Please be cautious.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She eats to the point of being bloated and seems uncomfortable (but doesn’t seem to mind. Interesting contradiction I know). I think she enjoys food and sees it as a nice activity. Which is fine in moderation! I don’t want to be jeopardizing her health.

That's a different story. Definitely talk to her pediatrician.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:28 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

My almost 2 year old eats more snacks when he's bored. He's the type of kid that out of sight is out of mind, I'm usually in the kitchen and am not good about always keeping cabinets closed so he'll be bored, come hang out in the kitchen, see a snack and beeeeeg and scream and throw a tantrum til he gets it. But if I'm in the living room with him and he's happy and busy, he won't ask for food til dinner time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics