Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler eats all day!
Previous  1  2

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She eats to the point of being bloated and seems uncomfortable (but doesn’t seem to mind. Interesting contradiction I know). I think she enjoys food and sees it as a nice activity. Which is fine in moderation! I don’t want to be jeopardizing her health.

Why do you give her food to the point of her being bloated and uncomfortable?? This is creating very bad eating habits. She's not even 2 years old yet, you're the only one that can control her food intake. If you don't feed her to the point of bloating, she won't eat so much till she's uncomfortable. Do not give her food every time she asks and she definitely shouldn't be helping herself to food. Keep your pantry and freezer locked and have set meal & snack times.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, my almost two year old seems to be eating all day. She generally eats healthful foods because that’s what we have in the house but I’m worried - too much of a good thing is also not good! She’ll eat oatmeal or eggs plus fruit with breakfast, ten minutes later when bored will open the freezer and take some frozen fruit (she eats tons of fruit which has tons of sugar I know) or go to the cabinet and request something.

It seems that whenever she’s bored she wants to eat and can eat a lot!! Way more than I suspect is normal for her age. She’s heavier than average (not to a crazy degree) and I’m nervous for her current and future health.

I plan on discussing this with her pediatrician at her next visit but until then would love to hear advice from you!

My reaction to insulin which was needing to have food in my mouth all the time, started at a very early age. It wasn't emotional, it was a physiological response to my insulin response when my sugars rose. In other people, it is normal to feel full after eating. I could eat ongoing and never feel satiated. By the time I was 7, I was insulin resistant and become obese at the age of 7.

My gut reaction to this is to lower the amount of carbohydrate and see if it helps the problem. Some people are just like this but the good news is that keeping blood sugar stable is a viable answer.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:53 pm
cravings for fruits or carbs could be yeast overgrowth, parasites, or abnormal gut flora.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:31 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Ok, so it’s not new behavior. 😊

Please before you start making charts and rules....
1. Talk to her pediatrician. I know you said you planned to. But start writing down everything she eats for a few days so you can tell him/ her exactly what “eats all the time means” and you can know how off she is calorie-wise and nutrient-wise from peers.
2. Spend one day out of the house totally busy with exciting things and see if her appetite and interest in food is less. It’s a good way to know if this is behavioral or medical. Or at least rule out boredom.

Eating disorders and poor body image can start really young. Please be cautious.

Thank you so much for this advice

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:34 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Why do you give her food to the point of her being bloated and uncomfortable?? This is creating very bad eating habits. She's not even 2 years old yet, you're the only one that can control her food intake. If you don't feed her to the point of bloating, she won't eat so much till she's uncomfortable. Do not give her food every time she asks and she definitely shouldn't be helping herself to food. Keep your pantry and freezer locked and have set meal & snack times.

It’s not that I’m feeding her constantly but she keeps asking for food - wants to share my food then will have a second dinner when my husband and I eat after she does etc. I guess my reasoning for not locking the fridge is I figured I’d help her have a healthy relationship with food if it’s not seen as forbidden or a treat but clearly it’s not working.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:37 pm
andrea levy wrote:
My reaction to insulin which was needing to have food in my mouth all the time, started at a very early age. It wasn't emotional, it was a physiological response to my insulin response when my sugars rose. In other people, it is normal to feel full after eating. I could eat ongoing and never feel satiated. By the time I was 7, I was insulin resistant and become obese at the age of 7.

My gut reaction to this is to lower the amount of carbohydrate and see if it helps the problem. Some people are just like this but the good news is that keeping blood sugar stable is a viable answer.

Wow. I definitely am going to get rid of the plethora of fruit options and will speak to my pediatrician about lowering carbs (I feel Iike they need more carbs at this age but I’m sure there’s a happy medium). Thank you.

lilies

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:45 pm
Maybe she's just eating her feelings LOL

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:58 pm
Look into the Division of Responsibility, find a program that teaches it.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. I definitely am going to get rid of the plethora of fruit options and will speak to my pediatrician about lowering carbs (I feel Iike they need more carbs at this age but I’m sure there’s a happy medium). Thank you.

More carbs than...? Yes, toddlers definitely do need carbs. But in moderation, not in excess. Great idea to talk to your pediatrician.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
More carbs than...? Yes, toddlers definitely do need carbs. But in moderation, not in excess. Great idea to talk to your pediatrician.

More than what’s considered to be low carb

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:09 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Look into the Division of Responsibility, find a program that teaches it.

This looks really interesting thank you for sharing

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:20 pm
Read ellyn saters book, she addresses this

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:39 pm
tichellady wrote:
Read ellyn saters book, she addresses this

Yes that’s the same recommendation as amother turquoise above and it looks great! I’m going to order the book.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics