Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Bored at work!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:29 pm
Hi I work 15 hours a week (5 hours 3 times a week) and I'm soooo bored! A one girl office. I set them up so well everything is running so automatically!
Now does it make sense for me to approach my boss that this makes no sense if he could put me onto a weekly salary and my job is to finish my work. No matter how many hours it entails. If one week it takes me 5 hours and another 15, Kol Hakovod!

forgetit

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:07 pm
Sure. I think that's very reasonable. Especially since you say that you set them up; you're probably valuable to them.
But I don't think he'll pay you for 15 hours if it takes you closer to 5 hours very often.
I don't know what your long-term goals are, but what I would do in this case, is try to develop some sort of skill that will be valuable to the office and to your future work opportunities and take the training during your 'bored' hours.

ora_43

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 12:46 pm
forgetit wrote:
Sure. I think that's very reasonable. Especially since you say that you set them up; you're probably valuable to them.
But I don't think he'll pay you for 15 hours if it takes you closer to 5 hours very often.
I don't know what your long-term goals are, but what I would do in this case, is try to develop some sort of skill that will be valuable to the office and to your future work opportunities and take the training during your 'bored' hours.

This, a hundred times over.

You could be getting paid to study things that most people pay to learn.

Do run it by your boss first, but if you put it in terms of keeping yourself happy as an employee + potentially helping the business, a lot of employers are going to say yes to that. Eg "Boss, now that the new system is up and running I find some hours are pretty slow. I was thinking of using any downtime to brush up on (Excel/quickbooks/design/whatever), because I think that might help with (thing the office does). What do you think?"

Of course, finding a job with 15 hours of actual work to do a week is also an option. And/or finding a new job and keeping this one as something you do on a freelance basis (for a higher hourly rate).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics