Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Any experience with Grain Brain flour for challah?

Ella1

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:35 pm
I'd like to make delicious healthier challah. Anyone has a good recipe using Grain Brain flour? I need something that my family won't notice the look of...so it can't look like whole wheat.

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 5:37 pm
Try spelt. Its much less dense and has a better taste then whole wheat. I find whole wheat bitter which is why most people add a lot of sweetener to it.

Ella1

Post Wed, Oct 17 2018, 10:22 pm
thnx. what's a good recipe for spelt? will it look different than regular white challah (can I pull it off without the family realizing)? how is spelt healthier exactly?

busymother

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 4:15 pm
I’ve been making spelt challah with their flour for a while now. My kids can’t tell the difference. I sub it cup for cup for white flour in my favorite challah recipe. Ask them at grain brain which is the easiest to bake with. I think it’s the non organic one.

Ma3

Post Mon, Oct 29 2018, 9:23 pm
I use their white spelt flour. Comes out delicious. I put about 3/4 cup less water than when I use reg white flour. Or you can do half whole wheat/half white - also delicious, but if you don't want your kids to notice, go for white spelt which looks like reg.

Mevater

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:35 pm
busymother wrote:
I’ve been making spelt challah with their flour for a while now. My kids can’t tell the difference. I sub it cup for cup for white flour in my favorite challah recipe. Ask them at grain brain which is the easiest to bake with. I think it’s the non organic one.

What was your experience with the Organic Spelt Flour? Did you use Organic Whole Spelt Flour?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:36 pm
brain??

Mevater

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:44 pm
Ruchel wrote:
brain??

Thats the name of the brand.

https://grainbrainusa.com/prod.....-5-lb

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:29 pm
We have been using their white spelt flour for years, and every time anyone finds out that it's not regular white flour they are surprised, and we have MANY guest.

We use our regular challah recipe.

5 pounds white spelt flour
3 eggs
1 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
4-5 cups water. Put 4 and then add more if needed.
4 Tablespoons yeast
1 handful of salt

It also braids beautifully.

busymother

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:06 pm
I’ve used their whole spelt and white spelt. Both come out fluffy and yummy

chava101

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:17 pm
I've been using their white spelt flour and always got delicious fluffy/airy challah. The last batch I baked last week came out very heavy, the dough was darker and felt different. - my mom and MIL had the same experience. Did a/o have this experience recently?

boysrock

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:25 am
I use grain brain all the time! I find the flour light and easy my challah comes out delicious
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads