Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Manhattan: Upper East vs Upper West (maybe Lower East?)
Previous  1  2  3

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:19 pm
Girls school there's Bais Yaakov of the East Side (Lower East, but they bus kids in from all over), and I think a Montessori school on UWS. Boys I'd probably look at Yeshiva Ketana on UWS. If you don't end up near UWS there are others to consider. Preschools you can find just about anywhere.

I agree with your assessment that you can probably make friends more easily in an apartment building.

UES probably the most expensive and out of your price range, and even if you find housing my impression is that there is a higher standard of living.

LES ain't cheap either but you can probably find $4000/month in a frum building, and I think there are more people living modest lifestyles there. The schools there are less expensive too.

You may find more young people overall in UWS but there are families everywhere.

Both LES and UWS have kosher supermarkets and fast food/takeout. I don't know of one on UES.

Shuls are all over, all types. I don't even know what it means to look for a Flatbush type because Flatbush is likewise big and diverse. Finding a shul you like in whichever community you choose should not be hard.

Manhattan is an expensive place to live but can be worth it if you can earn enough to make it work. It also has a lot of conveniences - jobs, public transportation everywhere, a lot of your life can be in walking distance, you'll have plenty of public libraries, museums, and other things to do without having to go out of your way to make it happen. The rent is prohibitive and the city-ness can feel noisy and suffocating sometimes, but people who leave tend to miss a lot of things about it.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:22 pm
seeker wrote:
Girls school there's Bais Yaakov of the East Side (Lower East, but they bus kids in from all over), and I think a Montessori school on UWS. Boys I'd probably look at Yeshiva Ketana on UWS. If you don't end up near UWS there are others to consider. Preschools you can find just about anywhere.

I agree with your assessment that you can probably make friends more easily in an apartment building.

UES probably the most expensive and out of your price range, and even if you find housing my impression is that there is a higher standard of living.

LES ain't cheap either but you can probably find $4000/month in a frum building, and I think there are more people living modest lifestyles there. The schools there are less expensive too.

You may find more young people overall in UWS but there are families everywhere.

Both LES and UWS have kosher supermarkets and fast food/takeout. I don't know of one on UES.

Shuls are all over, all types. I don't even know what it means to look for a Flatbush type because Flatbush is likewise big and diverse. Finding a shul you like in whichever community you choose should not be hard.

Manhattan is an expensive place to live but can be worth it if you can earn enough to make it work. It also has a lot of conveniences - jobs, public transportation everywhere, a lot of your life can be in walking distance, you'll have plenty of public libraries, museums, and other things to do without having to go out of your way to make it happen. The rent is prohibitive and the city-ness can feel noisy and suffocating sometimes, but people who leave tend to miss a lot of things about it.

The UES has a kosher store and plenty of kosher restaurants.

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:29 pm
Pm me if you have questions about lower east side

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:32 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Forget it, you can’t afford it. You can rent a beautiful big house in Flatbush for much less than that. The subway commute is 40 minutes, not a big deal.

LOL show me the big beautiful house in Flatbush for much less than $4000 a month. Hiding

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:34 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
The UES has a kosher store and plenty of kosher restaurants.

Thanks for clarifying. Where is it?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:43 pm
seeker wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. Where is it?

I had to google because I haven’t lived in the city for a while, but it’s Park East Kosher.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 10:57 pm
lcraighten wrote:
Is Passaic really that close? Where were you working? If that's the case then Passaic just jumped to the top of my list!

No it’s not at all! Train is 35-40 minutes depending on the connection in Secaucus. There are no direct trains you either transfer in Secaucus for penn station or in Hoboken for the path train. Bus varies, it can be 25 minutes at 6:30 am, or 2:15 pm or on MLK day but average on a good day is closer to 40 minutes and it can go way up if something happens in the tunnel. You also need to add the time it takes to get to the bus or train. Parking is doable but it isn’t the greatest especially on alternate side days.
I think Passaic is a great place to live, you’d have a great community, housing for well under your budget and there are tons of happy commuters here but that poster is quite off in her estimates.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:25 am
I believe it took my dh an hr from clifton to midtown by bus.

lcraighten

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 8:41 am
Thank you all for your help!! Seems like Manhattan is super expensive, both rent and tuition. The benefit is that both my husband and I will have short commutes. I'm not sure that it's really worth it, especially since it would be short term (2 years). I don't see myself living in Manhattan long term.

Passaic/Clifton is looking like front runner now - 45M to 1H seems to be the general consensus for the morning commute.

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:00 am
Everyone needs to find their own balance, but significantly shorter commute for both partners is the reason we moved to Manhattan and it was a huge quality of life difference. If it's only for two years I'd think even more so because you don't need to worry about the expense forever. The LES schools are the same price range as Brooklyn, I don't know exactly what tuition costs in northern NJ but my friends there seem pretty stressed by it.

Not trying to push anything, just making sure you have a good picture of the options.

Sebastian

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:28 am
OP look into the LES

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:37 am
I live on the UWS. We love it here. We are more modern but there is a mix here. The rabbi and his wife at Chabad are absolutely wonderful. That is not our regular shul, though, but we are very fond of them. There are so many shuls here and I think there is something for everyone.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:52 am
I have relatives living on the lower east side. Not sure how far that part of Manhattan is for you to commute but I get the feeling that it’s a nice community, no pressure...people seem to know each other and are friendly.

For purchasing a house and settling down Passaic sounds really nice and a great place to raise a family.

Good luck!

lcraighten

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:57 am
Thank you for all the input!!! I will definitely make sure I explore it well Very Happy

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jul 25 2022, 12:49 pm
Op, what did you end up doing?
I am looking for updated info.
I'm in a similar predicament now, although it would be for longer than 2 years but still for a set amount of years.
Our commute would probably be to midtown and UWS or midtown and UES with a small chance of both commuting to midtown.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating