Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you take this job?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:28 pm
Please think of what else I should consider.

The pluses
I was offered a prestigious position in a field I love. I am experienced and was exceptional when I held that position before. The work is meaningful and contributes to the betterment of society. I was offered this position several years ago but I couldn't take it because of family considerations. Those considerations no longer exist. There is room to grow. But this position is where I would be happiest.

The minuses
I would lose my free time. Most of my day is free time as I have very few obligations. I am not interested im a rush hour commute. They may be somewhat flexible about the hours. Between the taxes, my wardrobe, and the commute, the money after expenses isn't great. DH's salary puts us in a high tax bracket, and his salary covers our expenses. If more money is coming in, we will just spend more on things we don't need or even have on our radar to get. I have been day dreaming of going back to work in a different field. It is likely that this job would prevent it because of the time. I would give up that dream.

What would you choose? Any other considerations?

trixx

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:31 pm
Whatever makes you happiest to get up and face your day, especially if you don't actually need the money. (also, more income can mean more investments or tzedaka.. You don't have to suddenly keep up with Jones)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:32 pm
I just know that personally, when I have more time, I spend more money, so If I work, I am not only making more but I have less time to spend it. So if you are anything like me, you'll actually end up further ahead financially than you expect.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:35 pm
I honestly don’t jndetsnd the dilemma.

Of course I’d take the position! In a second, without hesitation

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:39 pm
You can put 100% of your salary towards your retirement account. If you can afford the risk, put it in the highest risk type of account. If it makes money you will have a nice nest egg when you and DH retire.

Knowledgeable

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:50 pm
Looks like a great offer! Like others mentioned already, save up the money!! You can never know if an extra expense will bump into your way..

polka dots

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:14 am
Only you can make this decision.

For me it’s a lot where I feel more fulfilled. Do you feel good about when you stay home? Are you good at housekeeping? Do you know how to structure your day home so it’s productive?

If your not enjoying being home and this makes you feel accomplished then it might be worth to put in the effort and give up your free time for this.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:55 am
I would take the job. Free time is overrated.

If it makes you happy, all the better!

ora_43

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:57 am
It's a lot easier to move from full-time employment in a job you love toward partial employment and a relaxed schedule, than the opposite.

I'd take the job. Give it a few months. If after a few months you feel like it's too much or not worth it, then you can always step back. But the opposite might not be true.

The only thing that might make me hesitate is the dream of a different field. But OTOH, it's usually easier to get a job when you have a job. Unless it's a radically different job that would involve going back to school (eg you're a principal, and dream of being a nurse) this job might help more than it hurts.

I'd ask someone who's actually in Dream Field what they think. (I'd also think hard on the whole "how sure am I that this is my dream?" issue. Is this a field you know a lot about? Something you've been actively working towards?)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 5:15 am
ora_43 wrote:
It's a lot easier to move from full-time employment in a job you love toward partial employment and a relaxed schedule, than the opposite.

I'd take the job. Give it a few months. If after a few months you feel like it's too much or not worth it, then you can always step back. But the opposite might not be true.

The only thing that might make me hesitate is the dream of a different field. But OTOH, it's usually easier to get a job when you have a job. Unless it's a radically different job that would involve going back to school (eg you're a principal, and dream of being a nurse) this job might help more than it hurts.

I'd ask someone who's actually in Dream Field what they think. (I'd also think hard on the whole "how sure am I that this is my dream?" issue. Is this a field you know a lot about? Something you've been actively working towards?)

I used to work in the field I dream of going back to. I need to do some CE credits and some other things. I don't actually do anything about it. It's been on the back burner for years.

I wouldn't take the current job I am offered for 3 months or any short amount of time. It won't look good for the organization. The minimum I would work is a year.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 5:28 am
trixx wrote:
Whatever makes you happiest to get up and face your day, especially if you don't actually need the money. (also, more income can mean more investments or tzedaka.. You don't have to suddenly keep up with Jones)

We are probably the Jones. BH we are solid and have funded some nice projects. I don't have any desires for more than we have.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 6:09 am
polka dots wrote:
Only you can make this decision.

For me it’s a lot where I feel more fulfilled. Do you feel good about when you stay home? Are you good at housekeeping? Do you know how to structure your day home so it’s productive?

If your not enjoying being home and this makes you feel accomplished then it might be worth to put in the effort and give up your free time for this.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

My day isn't structured. It's loosely structured on my family's schedule. I workout, cook, see friends, read. I have household help, so the house is in great shape. I am content.

So the question is do I take a full time job that will only add a small amount of money with a commute but is contributing to our community?

banana123

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 8:01 am
Which do you want more - this position or to move to a different field?

polka dots

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 8:19 am
I’d there any way to take on this job with less hours or more flexibility. If you don’t need the money it makes sense to take on a job for extra fulfillment and to give to the community, but it doesn’t make sense to take on something with a very big commitment that will cause you a lot of extra stress.

Brachie69

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:35 am
Will the commute be during rush hour? That detracts from quality of life in a major way.
If your schedule is flexible, sounds like it's a wonderful opportunity that you can always stop if it doesn't feel fulfilling to you and your quality of life.
You are fortunate to not need the job so think carefully about it's impact on you and the rest of your family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics