Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Urgent! Please calm a frantic mother. Mellow drops
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:32 pm
Was the 2yo being fussy, and that is why your teen gave them?

Sedating a baby is not a responsible way to watch a sibling. I find it worrying that the teen thought this was a good idea in the first place. If the 2yo is really unhappy and can't be soothed, go get dad, or call mom!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:15 pm
call anti poison to asl

tweety1

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:58 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Was the 2yo being fussy, and that is why your teen gave them?

Sedating a baby is not a responsible way to watch a sibling. I find it worrying that the teen thought this was a good idea in the first place. If the 2yo is really unhappy and can't be soothed, go get dad, or call mom!

2 of my kids are on medication. My DD gave it to them and he was tantruming so crazy that she figured one drop of mellow drop won't hurt. I yelled not cuz I was fuming but cuz I was panicking. She didn't mean bad. She had really good intentions but I heard such mixed reviews on mellow drops that my instinct reaction was panic. If she had done to an older kid I wouldn't worry but for a 2 yr old I did. BH all is good and now she knows to never ever give anything without checking with myself or dh even a vit c candy.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:02 pm
tweety1 wrote:
BH all is good and now she knows to never ever give anything without checking with myself or dh even a vit c candy.

Off topic, but vitamin C candies are not recommended because of the damage they do to teeth.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:04 pm
Yeah to me the concern is not the melatonin per se, but the 12-year-old thinking that she can give things like this to kids without checking with an adult. Good thing she learned on something harmless.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:09 pm
Vitamins need to taste neutral

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Off topic, but vitamin C candies are not recommended because of the damage they do to teeth.

What damage?
My pediatrician says to give 3 a day.
My kids are taking it for years and there's no damage to the teeth.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 3:23 pm
OP, your subject line says urgent and frantic. Why did you post here instead of making a phone call? Yes, its ok. But what if it wasn't? Imamother is not in place of a medical professional. This is the reason your dr. has an on call physician and this is why poison control is a 24/7 hotline.

For future reference, if you live in the States, the number to Poison Control is (800) 222-1222. Save it in your phone, tape it to the refrigerator, etc. This is not a joke.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 5:18 pm
I'm wondering why no one is saying that this is no good. Do you realize that melatonin is messing with your child's hormones. It is not healthy on a regular basis. Please research such things before using. Especially for girls.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I'm wondering why no one is saying that this is no good. Do you realize that melatonin is messing with your child's hormones. It is not healthy on a regular basis. Please research such things before using. Especially for girls.

This was a one time thing a tiny dose. It's harmless.
Even taking 1/2 or 1 melowchew a day on a regular basis is ok.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:28 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
What damage?
My pediatrician says to give 3 a day.
My kids are taking it for years and there's no damage to the teeth.

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid. It eats away at the teeth.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 7:42 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

I bought it last yr cuz I had my niece cuz sibling was marrying off. Sibling wanted me to give her DD melowdrops so I bought it. I used it once last yr. Gave 2 drops for an 8 and 10 yr old. Haven't given it since.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:16 pm
Melatonin is safer than the condition it is used to treat.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

That’s debatable.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:04 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
That’s debatable.

I know. I know Dr Adler was following a study on it that it works on the reproductive system. I don't know what came out of that study. But because of this I don't give it. I was desperate for my 2 girls to sleep the day of a simcha. I've had many simchas since and never gave it. What happened last night was an accident. I'm not dumping it in case I do decide I wanna give it on any given day. I don't think giving 2 drops for an older kid once or twice a yr is harmful. I do the drops specifically cuz I can give less v. The chewables you can only divide it into 4. 1 mellowchew is equivalent to 10 mellowdrops.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 9:29 pm
High dosemelatonin is a cutting edge treatment out in the alternative world for brain detox. It's a master antioxidant, more powerful than glutathione.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 11:38 pm
1 melodrop wouldnt even do anything to a 2 yr old.... it's probably the same as a quarter of a chewable pill. it would make him sleep for about 5 hours.
On a regular basis a 2 yr old shouldnt take melatonin (unless they have a sleeping disorder -- my autistic son did have to take it often as he'd wake up at 3 am regularly and just not fall asleep again, for example) -- but if it's given out of desperation or accident, epecially such a teeny amount, there's no need to worry.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 5:22 am
thanks for the hug for stating safety advice

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 7:45 am
Mama Bear wrote:
1 melodrop wouldnt even do anything to a 2 yr old.... it's probably the same as a quarter of a chewable pill. it would make him sleep for about 5 hours.
On a regular basis a 2 yr old shouldnt take melatonin (unless they have a sleeping disorder -- my autistic son did have to take it often as he'd wake up at 3 am regularly and just not fall asleep again, for example) -- but if it's given out of desperation or accident, epecially such a teeny amount, there's no need to worry.

10 drops is 1 melowchew. So one drop is less then a 1/4 melowchew. It literally has no effect at all.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
10 drops is 1 melowchew. So one drop is less then a 1/4 melowchew. It literally has no effect at all.

It did have some effect. He slept 45 min longer. To all posters saying not to give on a regular basis, read my subsequent posts. I only gave it once and I didn't even buy it for my kids-I wrote this too in a post.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics