Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Any Mrs. Maisel fans here?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

honeymoon

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:27 pm
I love the show. They could do with a little less of the dirty language but otherwise it's very entertaining. I like the quick pace, no empty moments at all. Susie Meyerson is a winner, as is Abe. I love Midge too!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:09 pm
Omg yaaaaassssss! And the clothing!!!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:16 pm
Moish: "im not wearing any pants!" LOL

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I guess I’m the odd one out. I watched it out of curiosity due to the rave reviews, and aside from the sets and costumes, I can’t figure out what everyone sees in it. The language is crude, the jokes are tasteless, the characters are uniformly selfish and self-centered, and the relationships are one worse than the next. They are all poster children for dysfunctional marriages and poor/negligible parenting. It would be nice to see one character consider the ramifications of their decisions on everyone around them and take others into consideration - when making their choices. It’s very hard for me to relate to characters, whom I find so unlikeable!!!

while I think you're 100% true, I don't expect more from Hollywood entertainment. it's TV so I don't delve into it. I just enjoy it and leave the rest for real life. but that's just me.

any also, why the constant bad language? it would be just as awesome without it. I don't get any TV that has to insert curse words every second sentence.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:42 pm
Love love love!!

In seasons 1 & 2 I was SO hoping Joel and Midge would get back together. Somehow in season 3 the romance faded.. maybe because of Joel’s new girlfriend that I’m so turned off by?

I’m kinda liking Lenny Bruce, but I believe they will not marry because the real Lenny died at a very young age. So much for speculations.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Oct 20 2020, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 9:57 pm
Couldn’t even watch one episode. Cursing left,
Right, and center and if I remember correctly, partial nudity.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 12:03 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Moish: "im not wearing any pants!" LOL

Moish and the “tush test” was also LOL

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
The language is crude, the jokes are tasteless, the characters are uniformly selfish and self-centered, and the relationships are one worse than the next. They are all poster children for dysfunctional marriages and poor/negligible parenting.

Every word you wrote is 100% correct, and that is what I love about it
I love that the show really leans into the terribleness of the characters
Dysfunctional marriages and poor parenting is actually pretty common, and many of the attitudes were a product of the times.
I really enjoy the historical cultural touchstones and it is one of the most overtly and deeply Jewish shows I've ever seen. I'm impressed that she made it THAT Jewish and the general public still responds to it
I recognize the flaws but I am completely invested in the characters

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:32 pm
tothepoint wrote:
In seasons 1 & 2 I was SO hoping Joel and Midge would get back together. Somehow in season 3 the romance faded.. maybe because of Joel’s new girlfriend that I’m so turned off by?

I’m kinda liking Lenny Bruce, but I believe they will not marry because the real Lenny died at a very young age. So much for speculations.

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT BENJAMIN Crying Crying Crying

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:35 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
why the constant bad language? it would be just as awesome without it. I don't get any TV that has to insert curse words every second sentence.

Comedy at the time was very invested in fighting censorship and overturning decency and profanity laws. You can see a bit of that in Lenny's routine and repeated arrests. So no, it would not be just as awesome without it. It's part of the whole point of what Midge is trying to do. She wants to move away from the Borscht Belt tradition of comedy and get into the Lenny Bruce/George Carlin style.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 1:41 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Comedy at the time was very invested in fighting censorship and overturning decency and profanity laws. You can see a bit of that in Lenny's routine and repeated arrests. So no, it would not be just as awesome without it. It's part of the whole point of what Midge is trying to do. She wants to move away from the Borscht Belt tradition of comedy and get into the Lenny Bruce/George Carlin style.

you may be right as far as the comedy is concerned, but they use f*** and s*** in every sentence of the daily life portrayal. while it's possible this makes it more authentic to the time (idk) it's also not necessary and disturbing to some.

s c

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:10 pm
urban gypsy wrote:

I really want things to work out with him in the next series!

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 23 2020, 2:14 pm
s c wrote:
I really want things to work out with him in the next series!

I desperately want that too but TBH I really don't think Midge is prepared to get over Joel
I think committing to another man scares her.... Benjamin told her that he is NOT Joel but she will not listen Crying

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:52 am
urban gypsy wrote:

CHUCK!!!! I MISS YOU. I'm so happy to see you on a good show again.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jan 08 2021, 12:52 am
When is season 4 coming out already??

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 8:45 pm
What did you all think of season four?

asmileaday

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 8:52 pm
Honestly, I lost interest in the show. I think there's not enough plot line movement (if that's a thing). Like the story isn't continuing really and the jokes are rarely funny. I couldn't get past the 1st episode of the new season. Maybe I'll catch up while I'm doing something else.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 9:00 pm
I agree with you asmileaday. The story isn’t going in any direction. The humor became far and few in between.

But I still loved watching it. The Coney Island scene with the yiddish lyrics was fabulous!

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 9:37 pm
Does anyone else think it's almost exactly the same style as Gilmore Girls A Year in The Life? I hate AYITL and was so annoyed to see them use the same style and humor in MMM. For example, the typical having a conversation with someone but really they're both talking to themselves or just the corniness of it all. Also I felt like the strip club was so unnecessary just to have naked women in the show. And the magician who made Rose hypnotized seemed so ridiculous. I really loved the show but it's getting to be too much.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 9:52 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Does anyone else think it's almost exactly the same style as Gilmore Girls A Year in The Life? I hate AYITL and was so annoyed to see them use the same style and humor in MMM. For example, the typical having a conversation with someone but really they're both talking to themselves or just the corniness of it all. Also I felt like the strip club was so unnecessary just to have naked women in the show. And the magician who made Rose hypnotized seemed so ridiculous. I really loved the show but it's getting to be too much.

YES! The GG vibes were strong, especially with Digger Stiles in it, and the Emily appearance. Some of the weird theatrical stuff would totally have me checking IMDB to confirm my suspicions Daniel Palladino was steering the ship for the particular episode(s). Even some of the music choices felt GG...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics