Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What would u do about it?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:17 am
I worked for someone for about 4-5 weeks . I was still in midst of learning the job, but pretty well had picked it up by then. My boss lives out of town , So she made me run her things from where I live . She was very demandful and she left out her stress on to me. I was treated very badly the beginning, till I told her if she continued this way I will have to leave..
this happened on chanuka a day I was supposed to take off from work . She calls me up reminding me just to check over and make sure all the boxes that will be shipped out , ( I packed 5 boxes in 2 weeks , its hard detailed work.)
She reminded me how the bags shipping out had to look a certain way before it gets shipped out . So on the day I was supposed to take off I went in to check it and to my surprise I saw 1 box wrong . (Understand me im there on my own without any help my boss or no one else there to fix if something goes wrong) with that said I got paid very little with pressured work.
Anyway so I called my boss to tell her that 1 box is all wrong and I said that I'll give an hour for free from my time since it was my mistake. Now my question here is: if someone does something wrong @ work and takes her time to resolve the mistake is boss obligated still to pay for worker's time?
I told her its my mistake so I wont charge , why I said it, I dont know ! Anyway it was on a erev shabbos, it was on a hectic chanuka day, a day I was expecting to have off .. I had to stay REDO ALL 5 BOXES . since all 5 boxes had same mistake. Its a crazy amount of work to do in one day , very not pleasent job , I came home dirty as can be since its packing powder, normally I had done not more than 2 boxes a day and it was a lot . Here I just felt bad for the mistake I did without my knowing that it had to be done in that way ,( my boss claims she showed me) but after all she was gone , and she wasnt with me for so long to make sure everything runs... she was here almost 2 weeks but I didnt go in for too long each day she was here., work comes with lots of multi tasking so its just normal I forgot one detail. My boss never believed that its a hard job that its a job that takes time which factly is hard and detailed. I felt very controlled by her , in the end I gave up the job. But back to the day I had to redo the mistake I made. I ended up staying 7 hours . Literally. It was chanuka, I had a party that night, I came home beyond exhausted. I decided I wasnt giving all my 7 hours working for free and boss claims she doesnt have to pay me since I told her that I wont charge. Now, of course if it took less or to an hour I would consider her not paying me . But I never thought I will need to do all 5 boxes in one day . Never thought I will spend 7 hours ... and I had so much things planned to do on that day off that got pushed off since I stayed fixing all the work . (Without any help) im talking about packing powder, ceiling bags , weighing bags, making sure its sitting ok the bags and is laying in the box a certain way . It really aint easy, honestly I think its made for a Spanish guy to do . The payment I got was a joke. And here I fixed everything only because I felt bad that she shouldnt full into a bad account or bad credit if the bags looked incorrectly shipt. If I was obligated do it all by myself? Im not sooo sure!!!! Especially when I was treated very badly. I really gave her my all. I was extremely responsible and made sure the stuff looked right. She didnt even think of giving me a tip for that. 7 hours is a lot to fill in a day . And here it was a day she gave me off officially. Chanaka, erev shabbos. What would u do ? And please if someone can answer me this if boss still pays if worker have to redo a mistake done? My gut is telling me of course boss needs to pay , since worker still gives her time. Here it was very inconvenient for me and I did it. This is how ppl can use ppl ?? Take advantage, I keep telling her I worked like a horse on my own which is unbelievable, I dont know how I all did it in one day . Normally it took me up to a week in a half to do all 5 boxes . I came home crying that day I feel hurt for all the work I did and came to be I worked for a stranger for free and gave away a whole day that was unplanned. Would u still call her for the money???

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I worked for someone for about 4-5 weeks . I was still in midst of learning the job, but pretty well had picked it up by then. My boss lives out of town , So she made me run her things from where I live . She was very demandful and she left out her stress on to me. I was treated very badly the beginning, till I told her if she continued this way I will have to leave..
this happened on chanuka a day I was supposed to take off from work . She calls me up reminding me just to check over and make sure all the boxes that will be shipped out , ( I packed 5 boxes in 2 weeks , its hard detailed work.)
She reminded me how the bags shipping out had to look a certain way before it gets shipped out . So on the day I was supposed to take off I went in to check it and to my surprise I saw 1 box wrong . (Understand me im there on my own without any help my boss or no one else there to fix if something goes wrong) with that said I got paid very little with pressured work.
Anyway so I called my boss to tell her that 1 box is all wrong and I said that I'll give an hour for free from my time since it was my mistake. Now my question here is: if someone does something wrong @ work and takes her time to resolve the mistake is boss obligated still to pay for worker's time?
I told her its my mistake so I wont charge , why I said it, I dont know ! Anyway it was on a erev shabbos, it was on a hectic chanuka day, a day I was expecting to have off .. I had to stay REDO ALL 5 BOXES . since all 5 boxes had same mistake. Its a crazy amount of work to do in one day , very not pleasent job , I came home dirty as can be since its packing powder, normally I had done not more than 2 boxes a day and it was a lot . Here I just felt bad for the mistake I did without my knowing that it had to be done in that way ,( my boss claims she showed me) but after all she was gone , and she wasnt with me for so long to make sure everything runs... she was here almost 2 weeks but I didnt go in for too long each day she was here., work comes with lots of multi tasking so its just normal I forgot one detail. My boss never believed that its a hard job that its a job that takes time which factly is hard and detailed. I felt very controlled by her , in the end I gave up the job. But back to the day I had to redo the mistake I made. I ended up staying 7 hours . Literally. It was chanuka, I had a party that night, I came home beyond exhausted. I decided I wasnt giving all my 7 hours working for free and boss claims she doesnt have to pay me since I told her that I wont charge. Now, of course if it took less or to an hour I would consider her not paying me . But I never thought I will need to do all 5 boxes in one day . Never thought I will spend 7 hours ... and I had so much things planned to do on that day off that got pushed off since I stayed fixing all the work . (Without any help) im talking about packing powder, ceiling bags , weighing bags, making sure its sitting ok the bags and is laying in the box a certain way . It really aint easy, honestly I think its made for a Spanish guy to do . The payment I got was a joke. And here I fixed everything only because I felt bad that she shouldnt full into a bad account or bad credit if the bags looked incorrectly shipt. If I was obligated do it all by myself? Im not sooo sure!!!! Especially when I was treated very badly. I really gave her my all. I was extremely responsible and made sure the stuff looked right. She didnt even think of giving me a tip for that. 7 hours is a lot to fill in a day . And here it was a day she gave me off officially. Chanaka, erev shabbos. What would u do ? And please if someone can answer me this if boss still pays if worker have to redo a mistake done? My gut is telling me of course boss needs to pay , since worker still gives her time. Here it was very inconvenient for me and I did it. This is how ppl can use ppl ?? Take advantage, I keep telling her I worked like a horse on my own which is unbelievable, I dont know how I all did it in one day . Normally it took me up to a week in a half to do all 5 boxes . I came home crying that day I feel hurt for all the work I did and came to be I worked for a stranger for free and gave away a whole day that was unplanned. Would u still call her for the money???

Honestly?

You already got paid for doing work that was wrong and unacceptable, so no, I wouldn't ask to be paid double for the job of correcting my mistake. Whether or not there is some legal obligation for paying you to do so is another matter. (If I were your employer and asked to pay you, I'd do so, then immediately fire you and fight your unemployment based on deliberate incompetence.)

Your statement, "honestly I think its made for a Spanish guy to do" is also racist.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:48 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Honestly?

You already got paid for doing work that was wrong and unacceptable, so no, I wouldn't ask to be paid double for the job of correcting my mistake. Whether or not there is some legal obligation for paying you to do so is another matter. (If I were your employer and asked to pay you, I'd do so, then immediately fire you and fight your unemployment based on deliberate incompetence.)

Your statement, "honestly I think its made for a Spanish guy to do" is also racist.

That "made for a spanish guy comment" was insanely racist. I would edit it out but I'm leaving it in because OP needs to understand thats not ok.

Having said that, I've made mistakes at work and BH have never been docked time spend to correct it. People are human and most bosses understand there is a margin of error.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 9:58 am
OP.. I don't know how to break it to you..
I have worked with many Hispanic men/ women. And I have worked with frum ladies

Overall, I find the hispanic to be more reliable and responsible..

And they arent as nervous to be around Hiding

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:15 am
Usually workers aren't docked for making a mistake especially in the first few weeks on the job. That said since you are not working there anymore, I would just let it go.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:17 am
Im sorry you guys took it very very wrong !!!

when I said "Spanish guy " this can mean lots of things , and obviously u took it very wrong. I did not @ all mean because its unpleasant or whatever negative thoughts came into your minds. I meant that these ppl are more available of thier time and I meant because its hard work and lots of demands a guy - even a frum guy sorry "I based it on spanish " would be better off for such a job. I meant I over worked and it entailed a lot for a mother with kids to take this pressure . So my opinion I felt the job would be better suited for a guy they can maybe take more pressure or hard work , or could be the job was just not for me. But honestly I did not mean it in a wrong way . Its interesting how human minds will always jump first to negative conclusions . That was really not my intention. So besides all the details, im asking a simple question if a boss does not have to pay a worker for the time she works regardless normal hours meaning time she gives to resolve wrong work??

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

when I said "Spanish guy " this can mean lots of things , and obviously u took it very wrong. I did not @ all mean because its unpleasant or whatever negative thoughts came into your minds. I meant that these ppl are more available of thier time and I meant because its hard work and lots of demands a guy - even a frum guy sorry "I based it on spanish " would be better off for such a job. I meant I over worked and it entailed a lot for a mother with kids to take this pressure . So my opinion I felt the job would be better suited for a guy they can maybe take more pressure or hard work , or could be the job was just not for me. But honestly I did not mean it in a wrong way . Its interesting how human minds will always jump first to negative conclusions . That was really not my intention. So besides all the details, im asking a simple question if a boss does not have to pay a worker for the time she works regardless normal hours meaning time she gives to resolve wrong work??

It's still racist Very Happy

I think the whole situation sounds like a mess. The boss sounds difficult and there seem to be lack of communication going on. It's good you left.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Entitled much ???

The workplace isnt responsible for your child care situation....
YOUR HUSBAND IS...

He needs to step up to the plate so you can be a full time mother or
You need to find a job that is more conducive to your lifestyle

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No one took anything wrong or let our minds go anywhere - we can only read what you write. There is no need to bring a nationality into anything. You are no better than him. That's all. What you wrote was not nice. If you want to come across in a better light, leave comments like that out. Maybe for you its ok, but for the general public its not. Also, there are members here of South American heritage. Leave that stuff out.

I re-read your post a few times because it was hard to read. The I'm not sure if English is your first language; the post was not very clear. I may have missed it the first time - you are no longer at this job and you want to call her and tell her you want to be paid for the 7 hours of work to fix your mistake? You can try. It sounds like the job was not a good fit for you in many ways. Seeing as its in the past, I would see the pay you received as b'shert and leave it at that.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:29 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
OP.. I don't know how to break it to you..
I have worked with many Hispanic men/ women. And I have worked with frum ladies

Overall, I find the hispanic to be more reliable and responsible..

And they arent as nervous to be around Hiding

Im sorry for u that your mind is in negative mode. oh my, u took it sooo wrong that u dont even know how to break it to me . . Where do u see or did I mention that Hispanic are bad workers?!?! The bashing here for no good reason is worse than what I had mentioned. And I have a lot to say on some immamother here but I'll keep quiet rather because the ppl who are here to bash come with thier story and are stretching their own story into another story ... I have alot to say but im not here to defend myself.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:40 am
You offered to do it without charging, so why are you upset at her?

lilies

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:55 am
I would chalk it up to a learning experience. Most bosses allow for human error and do not expect you to come in for backbreaking, 7 hour labor, on a day off. Sticky situation but definitely some unhealthy expectations and assumptions.
Know your limits, your strengths, and learn to speak up for yourself in the moment.. Hug

Simple1

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:56 am
I'm not a Rav or a legal expert, but I think she should've paid. Hindsight is 20/20, but you really should've clarified with the boss as soon as you saw it was all the boxes. But like others said, because you no longer work there, it may be best to let it go. But, yeah I would also be stressed out if that happened!

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:57 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
You offered to do it without charging, so why are you upset at her?

I clearly said in the post that I didnt expect to stay 7 hours . 1 hour I wouldnt charge. I still think she was obligated to pay but im letting it go . ...everything is clearly posted and I dont think its right for not getting paid .. 7 hours for free??? 1 person do everything? Its a lot . But I hear your opinions . I was @ fault in your eyes . Ok I hear. .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 10:58 am
lilies wrote:
I would chalk it up to a learning experience. Most bosses allow for human error and do not expect you to come in for backbreaking, 7 hour labor, on a day off. Sticky situation but definitely some unhealthy expectations and assumptions.
Know your limits, your strengths, and learn to speak up for yourself in the moment.. Hug

This I like .

Thank you!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 11:21 am
Ok I reread my message I do see why that comment gave a red flag I will take that back and on my other posts I mentioned what I meant by that . It wasnt my intention to put down Spanish. I shouldve have mentioned right away that the job would mostly fit for "A GUY" meaning any guy despite the culture, sorry for that .

I feel hurt for working so hard and never got paid for that amount what went in and I expected some sympathy while I got back lots of bashing . . So I guess need to take a step back and be more cautious with my posts . Im too sensitive lots of times that I mean one thing and u take it differently. Its always nice to preach before attacking.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 12:33 pm
watergirl wrote:
That "made for a spanish guy comment" was insanely racist. I would edit it out but I'm leaving it in because OP needs to understand thats not ok.

Having said that, I've made mistakes at work and BH have never been docked time spend to correct it. People are human and most bosses understand there is a margin of error.

She wasn't docked.
She offered to work for free and then changed her mind.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jan 24 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I clearly said in the post that I didnt expect to stay 7 hours . 1 hour I wouldnt charge. I still think she was obligated to pay but im letting it go . ...everything is clearly posted and I dont think its right for not getting paid .. 7 hours for free??? 1 person do everything? Its a lot . But I hear your opinions . I was @ fault in your eyes . Ok I hear. .

You could have called her after that 1 hour and said “this is taking longer than anticipated.. I can no longer work for free.” You didn't.
Regarding 1 person - do you have coworkers that usually share your workload with? If not, Were you hired for this job description? (As in you knew the job description and that this would be part of your responsibilities..)

For example, at my job, I do the work of more than person. However, I also do the work faster than those individual people would do it, so my job suits me. I like the challenge and I wouldn’t want to be treated a certain way because I’m a woman, or a mother, or my age, etc etc
I resent that you use the phrase for
Quote:
a mother with kids to take this pressure
. The fact that I'm a mother should have nothing to do with whether I can do my job or not.
I had such a hard time interviewing in Brooklyn for this reason. I was told straight out that employers didn't want to hire women with kids. That's because people like you decided that there are jobs that aren't "for a mother with kids".

I'm sorry this job didn't work out for you.

I’ll reiterate what the other imas said .. I don't know if English isn't your first language because your posts aren't so clear...
Perhaps you went into this job with unrealistic expectations or different expectations than your boss. If you don’t feel that packing is a job for you, that’s ok, but that doesn’t mean other women shouldnt have the job opportunity if it fits their strengths.
I'm sorry it didn't work out and it's definitely a lesson to learn for the future.

Have a good shabbos.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 5:32 pm
There's not a chance I would let this woman have the free labor.

Go consult an attorney.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 6:04 pm
I think that once you saw how long it would take (when you saw all 5 boxes needed to be redone) you should have called her on the spot, before you put in the 7 hours of work.
It sounds like you weren’t quite ready to do the job unsupervised. It’s unfortunate, but it doesn’t sound likely that she’ll pay you at this point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics