Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey Girl's Elementary Schools
Previous  1  2  3

amother
White

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:29 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Bais Shifra Miriam is really not a "brand name" school. Their students are really refined simple very eidel girls with good middos. They focus on middos tovos and not on gashmios. What's wrong with saying this about a school? They produce fine girls.

I have a problem with this line.

Apparently one of the "fine" girls you're talking about is my sister who is OTD, influenced by another "fine" girl.
Fine girls are not produced in specific schools.
Every school has its share of fine girls, and it's share of struggles.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 25 2020, 8:42 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
I have a problem with this line.

Apparently one of the "fine" girls you're talking about is my sister who is OTD, influenced by another "fine" girl.
Fine girls are not produced in specific schools.
Every school has its share of fine girls, and it's share of struggles.

I also know a couple of Bais Shifra Miriam girls that are OTD, that is inevitable in every school and can happen in every family. But all in all, they're focus is more on middos and they're not so into styles and gashmios.

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:07 am
cnc wrote:
You must be confusing it with something else. The people that I know that send there are BY graduates, some sent their older kids to YSV.

I was confusing it with Kesser BY.

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 7:09 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
What do u mean by torahdig?
I have a few friends that send to bais shifra mirian and also to ateres bnos: they are all very frum chassidish families, nobody is in kollel. They are all very hard working fathers that learn at night.

The percentage of the parent body of Ateres Bunos that is in Kollel full or part time far surpasses any other chassidish school in Monsey. Working fathers are the exception there. It is a very Torahdig school. Not sure about Bais Shifra Miriam, but Ateres Bunos is very unique.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Jan 26 2020, 8:20 am
There are a lot of Chassidish schools in Monsey but I know nothing about any of them.

For non Chassidish schools:

YSV- fornerly known as a community school, has moved to the right in the past decade and very difficult to get into unless sibling pr alumnus kid

Chofetz Chaim- similar to YSV in hashkafic outlook and education. Run by one family instead of a board. If you get along with that family you'll love it. If not you won't. Most of the people who I know who send there were/are very happy

Bas Mikroh- slightly more to the right and slightly lower academic level than the two schools above but comparable. Girls go to the same BY high schools

Ateres- I can only speak from my own experience that the girls/families who send to Ateres Elementary are very sweet and erlich. I have heard that there are a lot of "ex-chassidim" there but I don't know them personally. The people in my (Wesley Hills) neighborhood who send there are wonderful "old Monsey" type people. The school is more to the left of the schools above but not MO by any means. Mant of the people who send would have sent to ysv 20 years ago but now that it has moved to the right arent comfortable there. It is a warm place. Unfortunately it has has some issues with it's physical location in recent years. Hopefully they have worked that out

Prospect Park- new school. Supposed to be similar to Prospect park school in Brooklyn. They don't have any graduates yet so hard to say exactly what the students are like but the parents I know who are sending there are the children of old Monsey type people. Similar to those who send to ateres but a younger crowd (makes sense since it's a new school so only those with little ones are sending there)

Ashar- RW Modern Orthodox. Has moved to the right in the past decade. Used to be more centrist MO. Has a percentage of "ex-chassidim" but not all. Mixed in younger grades. Classes are separate for older grades. The complaints I have heard about the school are mostly from MO people complaining that it went too right wing. It's definitely an issue. There really aren't MO options in Monsey. Many send to North Jersey schools.
There are also no local high schools for Ashar graduates. People send to Jersey or NYC

There is another non Chassidish school that I'm aware of. It's a right wing yeshivish BY. Not sure what it's official name is. It also hasn't had any graduates yet. More to the right of any of the above schools. Similar to "Cheder D'Monsey" but for girls. Most fathers are in kollel or klei kodesh. Similar to a Lakewood type BY from what I understand (The other schools I listed would be considered "modern" if plopped down in Lakewood, yes the world is a strange place)

There is also Bnos Brocha (sister school of Etz Chaim) which is a small, warm school with lower academic pressure/level. Great for kids who need that.

This is based on what I see in my experience/neighborhood
I grew up in Monsey, live in Wesley Hills and have kids in schools (and already graduated) I am non chassidish/non yeshivish. JPF probably fits me best

****ETA: I sent/send to YSV and was/am happy there , though it isn't perfect, no school is. I'm also realistic about difficulty of families getting in there because I know how full it is. The other schools listed all have their pros and cons and I have met lovely girls/families from all schools
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics